Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, the 2021 RAV4 just released. So I’m naturally curious as to what the 2022 RAV4 will bring in terms of upgrades, improvements, and general changes - since it’s going to the mid-generation refresh model year. This is a great all-around vehicle made by one of the best manufacturers, but we know it could use some improvements. On top of my head, the gas tank issue and power folding mirror are definitely two of them. We should hear some news or rumor about this in about 6 months.

I currently have a 2016 Accord V6 and with gas prices slowly creeping up, it's killing me. I have been doing a lot of research and am planning to buy my first new car in over a decade - the 2022 RAV4 Hybrid XSE. It will be my first SUV/CUV and first hybrid vehicle.

Any thoughts and ideas would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
621 Posts
What have you seen that drives you to think 2022 will feature a mid-generation refresh? The 4Runner's first was roughly 4 years in, and the Tundra was something like 7 or 8 years in, no?

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
You've done your research well. The gas tank fix is underway...mine gets fixed in a few days. I haven't heard too much from guys who have had the fix applied but hopefully it will work well. I agree we need folding mirrors and I would add interior LEDs and illuminated door/ window switches as well. I was unaware the Accord V6 is a gas guzzler but the RAV4 hybrid is great on gas. Shop around because the RAV hybrids are not in great supply and it may be hard get a great price depending on where you live.

Reactions: UNLTD1487

·
Registered
🇨🇦 2020 RAV4 XLE Hybrid - Super White
1,068 Posts
I suspect Safety sense 2.5 and possibly a 1500 watt inverter option in high trims.
Safety sense 2.5 is probably the most logical thing to be added, plus maybe some other convenience features available in other models like "Advanced Park" in the corolla cross.

Doubt we'll see any interior or exterior upgrades, but if we do, maybe at best
  • new paint colours, like the black edition available in Europe
  • a refresh on the DRL for the non-reflector light housing similar to what the new Venza uses, MAYBE.

·
Registered
65 Posts
If 22' is your number..
Go for it... Full Boat.. If you only buy a new once every decade.. :cool:
I'm EXTREMLY 100% Satisfied with my 2021 Hybrid Limited. I got every option.. including the Pano Roof. Black on Black.. Just built in September and NO ONE had test driven it.. only had 3 miles on it from shippment and PDI setup.

EVERY YEAR SUV's / Cars will get Better and Better with the rapid advancement in Technology.

So.. Just know, you will only have about 9 months of "The Latest & Greatest" before the 2023's are announced :mad:
So get it EXACTLY optioned the way you want it.. and the model year will have no meaning as far as you'll be concerned.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2020 RAV4 Hybrid Limited - I wanted a Prime, but the main difference - the prime is a plug-in (phev) with its more powerful battery pack that can provide about 40 miles of electric-only range - is something I wouldn't use anyway, since I'm retired and don't have a daily commute. And the regular hybrid has plenty of power.

As it turns out, I am delighted with the non-phev version. The 2020 was an update from the 2019 and has all the bells and whistles except for the pano roof. It even has a heating grid built into the bottom of the windshield for de-icing the windshield wipers!

Seems odd that there would be a 2022 refresh.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey guys, the 2021 RAV4 just released. So I’m naturally curious as to what the 2022 RAV4 will bring in terms of upgrades, improvements, and general changes - since it’s going to the mid-generation refresh model year. This is a great all-around vehicle made by one of the best manufacturers, but we know it could use some improvements. On top of my head, the gas tank issue and power folding mirror are definitely two of them. We should hear some news or rumor about this in about 6 months.

I currently have a 2016 Accord V6 and with gas prices slowly creeping up, it's killing me. I have been doing a lot of research and am planning to buy my first new car in over a decade - the 2022 RAV4 Hybrid XSE. It will be my first SUV/CUV and first hybrid vehicle.

This has been my delimna as well in the past. Not sure how to work out with this.

·
Registered
2019 XSE
847 Posts
I think it comes down to how much driving you do. With a 2016 Honda Acord V6, if its paid for and you don't have a crazy commute I would drive it till the wheels fall off as it will take alot of gas savings to recoup the $40K for the XSE. Now if were a 2006 Acord it would be a different story as the car has done its job, probably has high mileage and does not have the Tech and Safety equipment that today's cars have.

If you have a long commute, perhaps a Prius, Camry hybrid (now in XSE), or Corola hybrid is a better option? 50+ MPG is alot better than 37MPG for the XSE.

If you decide you want the Rav XSE, I would wait for the refresh. News will be out on the web probably around the summer on the new features.

To look for clues on what the Rav refresh will bring, look at the 2021 Camry refresh, which the Rav is based on.

·
Registered
2020 Limited AWD - Blizzard Pearl/Black
310 Posts
Hey guys, the 2021 RAV4 just released. So I’m naturally curious as to what the 2022 RAV4 will bring in terms of upgrades, improvements, and general changes - since it’s going to the mid-generation refresh model year.
I doubt we will see too many changes for 2022. Maybe an option on some of the higher trims to add the 9 inch infotainment like the Prime and maybe a bump in safety sense. MAYBE a new color, but doubtful. I would say there might be a good chance of refresh in 2023 if we go by Toyota's history from previous RAV4s. The 4.2 did see a refresh in it's 4th year however that generation only had 5 years of production before the 4.3 came out.

Before I owned my 4.5, it was all about the powertrain and reliability of my Toyotas. Now we have that still but folks also desire the best in-vehicle technology. As a long time IT industry worker I can tell you that you'll always be chasing that rabbit. If you're able to wait til 2023 go for it. But you can probably snag some really good deals on a 2020 now that the 2021s are on the lot.

·
Registered
2019 XSE
847 Posts
80 percent chance it wont happen but I think it would be the time for Toyota to release a light off road version of the hybrid. They probably will wait till Gen 6 Rav4 and/or the next 4Runner/Tacoma to introduce some form of hybrid off road, but if Toyota would make a TRD hybrid for the refresh it probably would sell well. I suppose the only reason for not doing it would be if Toyota thinks the drive train is not up to the task, even with upgraded suspension, tires, skid plates, ect.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think it comes down to how much driving you do. With a 2016 Honda Acord V6, if its paid for and you don't have a crazy commute I would drive it till the wheels fall off as it will take alot of gas savings to recoup the $40K for the XSE. Now if were a 2006 Acord it would be a different story as the car has done its job, probably has high mileage and does not have the Tech and Safety equipment that today's cars have.

If you have a long commute, perhaps a Prius, Camry hybrid (now in XSE), or Corola hybrid is a better option? 50+ MPG is alot better than 37MPG for the XSE.

If you decide you want the Rav XSE, I would wait for the refresh. News will be out on the web probably around the summer on the new features.

To look for clues on what the Rav refresh will bring, look at the 2021 Camry refresh, which the Rav is based on.
Thank you to all who replied. I read each and every one. Variman, funny you mentioned because I used to work and live in the same city, and have just moved. So now my commute is about 35 minutes, without traffic, from my job. Also, not to mention crossing a bridge. Not too bad but certainly much more than my previous commute or lack thereof. Therefore why I'm looking into a hybrid. I understand it takes a lot to recoup $40k+, but I am selling my Accord to fund the RAV4, so it would be only $20k+ because I know I can get at least 18-20k for my Accord with only 35,000 miles on the odometer.

Funny you mentioned 2006 Accord as well because I used to have a 2007 Accord Coupe and I basically did drive that thing to the ground, owned it for 8 years. But like you said, the safety features alone is worth the upgrade. The safety of myself and my family/friends are worth the upgrade.

I thought of Prius, Camry, and other sedans/coupes, but as I stated in my initial post, I want my first SUV/CUV. It's just more utility and I like the higher seating/sight line. I will keep my eye out for news of the 2022 RAV4 and then make my decision from there. I will also for sure look at the 2021 Camry refresh for clues. I think in a lot of ways we think alike. Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
If the 4.3 and 4.4 mid-cycle refreshes are any indication, 2022 will be the facelift model. For the 4.3 in 2009, Toyota changed some colours, trims, and interior materials, and did a front and rear facelift, with new head and tail lights, and new bumper covers front and rear. For the 4.4, the facelift was much more detailed, and as interior electronics were the big thing in 2016, they upped the tech content along with the appearance bits. And of course the hybrid.

Expect similar for the 4.5 in 2022, likely getting some content and looks from the new Venza.

2012 RAV4 Base FWD.
Upgraded to large front brakes and 3rd row rear springs.

·
Registered
217 Posts
80 percent chance it wont happen but I think it would be the time for Toyota to release a light off road version of the hybrid.
No offense, and I really mean it, you don't know and are just guessing here. Those who do know aren't talking cause they are likely under NDA. Based on historic data and other online sources guessing the refresh/face lift is likely to be either MY22 or MY23, which in my book is a 50/50 shot.

Toyota Is Set to Overhaul Its Off-Road SUVs & Trucks, Report Says (gearpatrol.com)

·
Registered
1 Posts

I have heard there won’t be any major changes but it’s very likely we will see the TSS 2.5. I myself am struggling between getting a 2021 RAV4 TRD or waiting for 2022. Just got the gf 2021 Adventure package and I’m just amazed at how capable of a vehicle it is. 30mpg and has more of a true 4wd system than the AWD models.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have heard there won’t be any major changes but it’s very likely we will see the TSS 2.5. I myself am struggling between getting a 2021 RAV4 TRD or waiting for 2022. Just got the gf 2021 Adventure package and I’m just amazed at how capable of a vehicle it is. 30mpg and has more of a true 4wd system than the AWD models.
I wouldn't be surprised if there won't be any Major upgrades, but there should definitely be some upgrades. Historically, Toyota refreshes the mid-generation models - which will be the 2022 model year RAV4s.

If I were you and you could wait a little bit, I would wait until at least some news comes out for the 2022 models before making a decision. It's just a few months away, less than a year.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts