Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Rav 4 XLE gas engine
1,720 Posts
Anything would be better than the 21 headlights. The 2022 are way better. You can't compare projectors with reflectors...
I don't know that is true. I had racing Hella halogens back in the 1980s that were more powerful than any current Toyota headlights. The IIHS rated the projector LEDs on Toyota 2021 hybrids as "Poor" and rated the reflector LEDs on the ICE models better as "Marginal". The IIHS 2022 ratings are not available yet.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
You can find how the new one performs on YouTube.
Do you have a link? Only YouTube vid I found is the Canadian salesman who turns on the '21 ICE and '22 projectors IN THE DAY TIME! I want to see a direct side by side night test showing how they light the road--not just how they look when you view the car from in front. Projectors were not really made to supply more or better lighting but rather as a safety feature for other on-coming drivers as the shutter in the projectors cuts off the light beam to prevent blinding others.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
In general projector and reflector light bulbs if LED emit the same volume of lumens of light. The projectors concentrate that light very narrowly to basically horizontally illuminate the lane of travel in front of the car with a strict vertical cut off. The reflectors disperse that light much wider horizontally to illuminate the on coming lanes and the shoulders of the road. The reflectors have no vertical cut off shutter so they illuminate road signs and objects much higher off the ground than the projectors. I think the reflectors are better for rural areas where a deer might jump out of the shadows from the shoulders of the road.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts