Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a bird strike on a recent road trip that looks to have damaged just the lower grille. Couldn't find the exact part online or any guides about how to get that piece out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 2022 RAV4 Prime XSE

Also a suggestion for anyone else to maybe look into a metal screen or something for these areas.

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Vehicle Car

Grille Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, pulled the bird out and the AC unit looks perfectly fine but there's a little connector to the right that I'm not sure what it is? Looks a little bent. I realized the whole grille might actually be part of the whole lower bumper and not its own piece.
Vertebrate Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Grille

·
Registered
2022 Rav4 Hybrid Limited - Blueprint
72 Posts
I too had a bird strike in that area, however it was a couple days after I installed the mesh screen mentioned in post #5. Put a nice dent in the screen, and had some bird poop to hose off, but it didn't get stuck, and my condenser was intact, which is why I bought it in the first place. Bought it well before I took delivery of the vehicle, and didn't take very long to install once I brought it home. Glad I didn't wait. I think Steve needs to start marketing that as protection against rocks, road debris, as well as birds and squirrels.

I think the active grill shutters are on the larger area above, right below the Toyota emblem.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
17,277 Posts
Everyone should install a RAVScreen— It’s cheap protection:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Poor quality on this item

I would respectfully disagree. Already caught one rock ( or something) on mine. Dented the wire mesh, but did not go all the way through.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm taking it to the body shop tomorrow where a friend works so he can take a look. He said he believes the front bumper is three "sections"; one lower part that wraps around (black on the bottom), the middle section which contains the lower grille and rest of the black area, and then the main bumper which is what is all white on the Prime XSE picture above. He thinks the replacement piece is about $100-150 and only requires taking off the bottom two sections.

I did also order the protective screens from Steve mentioned above which should be here this week. I think any added protection is worth it from rocks/birds/sticks you name it.

I'll let everyone know how it goes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts