Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought this Rav4 two weeks ago and already the battery cannot maintain a charge.

Brought it into Toyota yesterday. They found one dead cell and went about replacing the battery.

The first battery pulled off the shelf had the exact problem - One Dead Cell.

The second battery pulled off the shelf tested good. It was installed in the Rav4 - My Fingers are crossed.

It seems to me from reading other post that the 380LN3-ISS is a problematic battery - What say you?

·
Registered
497 Posts
All of the vehicle manufacture forums have this same complaining, assuming the battery in the car is new.
I get it, sucks to have a new car and a dead battery. However the battery isn't 'new', it's been stored until the vehicle is built and ready for a battery. Then the ignition may or may not by cycled, further draining a low battery.

I don't know if I would trust you drew 2 batteries in a row with a bad cell, I mean if there are 2 bad ones per (that would be a lot), why did you get both, one from the build and again one from the local dealership.

The fact it can't hold a charge is for concerning -I'd ask though if the battery has been charged with a carger.

I don't know what technology Toyota uses for battery charging, but some vehicles (in general) have a hard time getting fully charged due to lack of driving (including only driving short distances). It is possible the vehicle is discharging at a rate more quickly than it is being charged (for not being on long enough to charge).

If this battery is proven to be bad, the dealership would likely need to start focusing on the car, not the fact you are there to take all of their bad batteries making everybody else lucky.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Welcome to Toyota. My 2020 battery failed twice right after I bought the vehicle, brand new. Replaced under warranty and (knock on wood) has been fine since. I think Toyota has had this issue on and off since at least 19 model year. This forum is full of battery threads.

·
Registered
129 Posts
It’s a Toyota thing with me. I’ve owned several new cars. Until now, I’ve never had one delivered with a bad battery.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
It’s a Toyota thing with me. I’ve owned several new cars. Until now, I’ve never had one delivered with a bad battery.
When the 202 model was released the system was updated to include AA. I don't know that AA caused the issue or not but the 2020's required an update to the "call home" feature which wouldn't go to sleep after failed attempts. This would drain the battery all the way down. Lead acid batteries do not like this and will kill the battery.

My 2019 built in Japan in November 2018 has the original battery (knock on wood) and just recently it sat unused in the garage for over 10 days and started right up like I drove it an 1 hour before. I'm just saying.

·
Registered
Waiting 2022 RAV4 Trail - ETA 🎃
54 Posts
I would say it's the manufacturer/supplier of the battery, and they may not even manufacture there own parts.

I no this doesn't help but....Lets face it everything now a days are made as cheap as possible, to have a minimum life expectancy. If they lasted longer companies that make them would go out of business.

See chart below as a example for household items, I would also say some of the items are even less. I went thru 3 NEW washing machines in 12 years

Life Expectancy of Major Appliances
ApplianceYears

Gas ranges

10 to 18

Electric ranges

13 to 15

Range and oven hoods

Dryers (electric and gas)

Refrigerators

Garbage disposals

Freezers

10 to 20

Washing machines

Microwaves

Dishwashers

·
Registered
2021 Rav 4 XLE gas engine
1,848 Posts
While we are on the subject of batteries, it used to be recommended here in the 5th gen forum to replace the OEM battery (when it finally failed) with an AGM. I have been reading in the 8th gen Camry forum in ToyotaNation in the last month that they do not recommend installing AGMs. It is claimed the Camry (4 cylinder: the same alternator and engine as our RAV4s) will overcharge an AGM and cause it to fail. They recommend sticking with a conventional lead acid flooded battery. What are everyone's thoughts on this?

·
Registered
659 Posts
FLA vs AGM

Unless Toyota says not to use AGM, then it should be ok. And I would think if AGM would kill the alt or batt, there would be a big warning sticker on OEM batt, and lots of bold in the manual "USE ONLY FLA". Does any of that exist?

But it is true, FLA and AGM last longer using matching charging profile that matches the battery.

I just not sure car charging has the smarts like my Minnkota charger has. I think to have such smarts in car system there needs to be isolation device between batt and alt, which does not work for the car charging scheme.

Have a read

·
Registered
Waiting 2022 RAV4 Trail - ETA 🎃
54 Posts
While we are on the subject of batteries, it used to be recommended here in the 5th gen forum to replace the OEM battery (when it finally failed) with an AGM. I have been reading in the 8th gen Camry forum in ToyotaNation in the last month that they do not recommend installing AGMs. It is claimed the Camry (4 cylinder: the same alternator and engine as our RAV4s) will overcharge an AGM and cause it to fail. They recommend sticking with a conventional lead acid flooded battery. What are everyone's thoughts on this?
I use AGM in my Boat, ATV and tractor, they have better resistance to being destroyed thru vibration, and do not leak if on its side

The last std. battery I bought before AGM for my tractor, I had to take back, would charge and depleted quickly

1 - 16 of 16 Posts