Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what it means? Even with AC off it's clicking. Even with the air turned completely off. This started tonight. Is the blower bad?

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,893 Posts
This is what I found in the service manual:

DTC B1421/21 Solar Sensor Circuit (Passenger Side)

DESCRIPTION
The solar sensor, which is installed on the upper side of the instrument panel, detects sunlight and
controls the air conditioning AUTO mode. The output voltage from the solar sensor varies in accordance
with the amount of sunlight. When the sunlight increases, the output voltage increases. As the sunlight
decreases, the output voltage decreases.
The air conditioning amplifier detects changes in the output voltage from the solar sensor.

DTC B1424/24 Solar Sensor Circuit (Driver Side)

DESCRIPTION
The solar sensor, which is installed on the upper side of the instrument panel, detects sunlight and
controls the air conditioning AUTO mode. The output voltage from the solar sensor varies in accordance
with the amount of sunlight. When the sunlight increases, the output voltage increases. As the sunlight
decreases, the output voltage decreases.
The air conditioning amplifier detects changes in the output voltage from the solar sensor.

DTC B1424/24 Open or short in passenger side solar sensor circuit

• Solar sensor
• Harness and connector between solar
sensor and air conditioning amplifier
• Air conditioning amplifier

·
Super Moderator
11,096 Posts
acsmith1972, what is clicking?

And JuneBug, didn't we conclude that you'll get those codes whenever the sensors aren't in sun?

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,893 Posts
acsmith1972, what is clicking?

And JuneBug, didn't we conclude that you'll get those codes whenever the sensors aren't in sun?
Yes, but he wanted to know what the codes were for....

The clicking is probably the air blend door which may be jammed or a plastic gear is broken. If something like a pen or Lego falls into the defrost vent, it can block the door and the servo motor keeps trying to move it until something gives.

·
Super Moderator
11,096 Posts
Yes, but he wanted to know what the codes were for....
Agreed. The point is the codes (which I've seen on my RAV4) likely don't have any connection to the actual problem and can be ignored.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Agreed. The point is the codes (which I've seen on my RAV4) likely don't have any connection to the actual problem and can be ignored.
Yeah, the only reason I ran the diagnostic was because of the sound. But I had the heat on when it happened. I actually just shut the heat off and noticed it. At first I thought it was my LED headlights or fog lights since they have fans. I thought one of the fans might've shorted out but headlights off the sound was still there. I told my dad and right away he said water pump. Funny thing is I popped the hood and the reservoir was empty and when I added it pissed it out from the bottom. I just had that replaced three months ago. I'm calling the shop tomorrow. Hopefully they'll fix that, but does that sound right that the clicking is water pump related? I was thinking it was the fan blower or servo.

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,893 Posts
When my water pump went bad it sounded like marbles rattling around in a tin can. I wouldn't exactly call it clicking.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When my water pump went bad it sounded like marbles rattling around in a tin can. I wouldn't exactly call it clicking.
Yeah, sort of like that. Like something plastic slapping against something metal. I don't know, my father seems to think all of it's because of the water pump. Hopefully the shop will take my car tomorrow and fix it since they did the water pump in December. I looked at a DIY for how to replace that and there's just some repairs that are too involved for me to do. I've never even changed a belt let alone taken all that stuff off to do a water pump.

·
Super Moderator
11,096 Posts
There may indeed be nothing wrong with your AC since the codes are meaningless and the noise may be from the pump or something related. So use my "fix what you know is wrong and maybe other issues will go away" philosophy.
BTW, what part of CT are you from?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There may indeed be nothing wrong with your AC since the codes are meaningless and the noise may be from the pump or something related. So use my "fix what you know is wrong and maybe other issues will go away" philosophy.
BTW, what part of CT are you from?
I live in Fairfield.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts