Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

'21 R4P SE Lightbars installed.

1747 Views 11 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  peakbagger
Hello, new user from the rockies here!

I got my prime back in May (had to get a used one from elsewhere, as they don't sell them new in my area), but didn't really think about registering here before I, you know, started modding :sneaky:

I had searched on here and found some posts about mounting lightbars to the crash bar and doing that with the ijdm kit that includes a no-name lightbar.

Why do I need lights you ask? Because I frequently drive hundreds of miles late at night as the only vehicle on the road in places where there are moose and the speed limit is 80mph/130kph. The stock lights are ok compared to like, my Tacoma, but compared to my Audi they're pretty shit. Just not enough reach in the right places to be truly comfortable. Also, I've got astigmatism so bad, that sometimes I'm shocked I can still see and that apparently minimizes the amount of light that actually makes it inside my eyes.

Anyway, I took some cues from the installs that were on here for a couple hybrid ravs, got some lights, and found a shop willing to do the work. Turns out the attach point for power on the rav4 hybrid that's commonly seen in videos... isn't on the prime. However, the shop I worked with for this located some unused but live 50a spots in the fuse box on the passenger side... and everything works. Keep in mind that I only use these bad boys when nobody else is on the road, and only when my blind ass needs them traveling 70/125+ at night on unlit highways through moose/elk territory.

I have, in the past, had close encounters with large wildlife, and had to be extracted from my vehicle via fire department when one of those turned into a rollover, so no, I'm not exaggerating in my requirements here. I'm not looking for judgment on this, just putting this info out here "for your information". I'm pretty disappointed in the brake distance of the r4p, so I figure I should spot problems sooner than I do on other vehicles in comparison.

The specs:
Top grille light:
E-SERIES PRO 20" SPOT/DRIVING COMBO
SKU: 122313
23amp @ 12v = 34k lumen-installed for the spot part of the beam to go straight as possible, parallel to ground with driving lights extending side-to-side visibility past 100m

Bottom grille light:
SR-Series 20" Dual Function SAE Auxilary High Beam Driving Lights with Amber Backlight
SKU: 920414
6.8amp @ 12v = 8250 lumens-installed so the beam pattern lines up with low-beam headlight with extra side-to-side vis. also works great in fog with amber cover attached.

ngl, paid a lot more for this than expected. the idjm kit is meant to install vertically into the crash bar... but on the primes the A/C line is in the way, so had to get some extra bits fabbed to move the install forward and mount "in" the grille. Top bar is mounted to crashbar, bottom bar is mounted to the bar in the lower bumper (same spot the skid plates mount to I believe). ended up doing a rivnut based install. I don't have too many pics of the install process, but plenty of the result ;)

I was concerned about the bar sitting so far forward that metal of the light would interfere with the big toyota logo sensor, but the shop tested and checked to make sure it wouldn't interfere. (it was expensive, but worth it). Even with both of these lights on, ironically, the automatic headlight function still operates without a hiccup.

Sorry the car is dirty, I drove down the east coast last week and the bugs in PA were... something else. The auto windshield wipers even kicked on they were so thick.

So, to pics!
Car Plant Tire Vehicle Wheel

Automotive parking light Tire Automotive tail & brake light Car Vehicle

Automotive parking light Vehicle Grille Car Hood

Hope that helps somebody as the posts on here helped me!

-Pete
See less See more
Reactions: 1
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Well done … Would you kindly take a picture of where you put the switch to turn it on ... thanks.
Hi Marcos.
Thanks for sharing. I like how low profile overall the mounting is. I have used Rigid SAE rated LED fogs on another car and they are incredible. Very bright and sharp cutoffs. Hope they do well for you.

They are generic product, but I've been eyeing the LED projector fogs on CarTrimHome. They have a yt video on the page. Look like a great addition to the brightening up the low beam areas.
You don't mind blocking half of the airflow to the radiator? Hope it never gets hot where you live ;)
Big fan of Rigid lights. Nice work.

I got my prime back in May (had to get a used one from elsewhere, as they don't sell them new in my area), but didn't really think about registering here before I, you know, started modding :sneaky:

I had searched on here and found some posts about mounting lightbars to the crash bar and doing that with the ijdm kit that includes a no-name lightbar.

Why do I need lights you ask? Because I frequently drive hundreds of miles late at night as the only vehicle on the road in places where there are moose and the speed limit is 80mph/130kph. The stock lights are ok compared to like, my Tacoma, but compared to my Audi they're pretty shit. Just not enough reach in the right places to be truly comfortable. Also, I've got astigmatism so bad, that sometimes I'm shocked I can still see and that apparently minimizes the amount of light that actually makes it inside my eyes.

Anyway, I took some cues from the installs that were on here for a couple hybrid ravs, got some lights, and found a shop willing to do the work. Turns out the attach point for power on the rav4 hybrid that's commonly seen in videos... isn't on the prime. However, the shop I worked with for this located some unused but live 50a spots in the fuse box on the passenger side... and everything works. Keep in mind that I only use these bad boys when nobody else is on the road, and only when my blind ass needs them traveling 70/125+ at night on unlit highways through moose/elk territory.

I have, in the past, had close encounters with large wildlife, and had to be extracted from my vehicle via fire department when one of those turned into a rollover, so no, I'm not exaggerating in my requirements here. I'm not looking for judgment on this, just putting this info out here "for your information". I'm pretty disappointed in the brake distance of the r4p, so I figure I should spot problems sooner than I do on other vehicles in comparison.

The specs:
Top grille light:
23amp @ 12v = 34k lumen-installed for the spot part of the beam to go straight as possible, parallel to ground with driving lights extending side-to-side visibility past 100m

Bottom grille light:
SR-Series 20" Dual Function SAE Auxilary High Beam Driving Lights with Amber Backlight
6.8amp @ 12v = 8250 lumens-installed so the beam pattern lines up with low-beam headlight with extra side-to-side vis. also works great in fog with amber cover attached.

ngl, paid a lot more for this than expected. the idjm kit is meant to install vertically into the crash bar... but on the primes the A/C line is in the way, so had to get some extra bits fabbed to move the install forward and mount "in" the grille. Top bar is mounted to crashbar, bottom bar is mounted to the bar in the lower bumper (same spot the skid plates mount to I believe). ended up doing a rivnut based install. I don't have too many pics of the install process, but plenty of the result ;)

I was concerned about the bar sitting so far forward that metal of the light would interfere with the big toyota logo sensor, but the shop tested and checked to make sure it wouldn't interfere. (it was expensive, but worth it). Even with both of these lights on, ironically, the automatic headlight function still operates without a hiccup.

Sorry the car is dirty, I drove down the east coast last week and the bugs in PA were... something else. The auto windshield wipers even kicked on they were so thick.

So, to pics!
View attachment 186481
View attachment 186480
View attachment 186479

-Pete
I like it it's a clean install and looks cool even off.
Quick question:

The top bar has 34K lumens which basically is close to the amount of lumens you would get if you could measure 15 foot from the surface of the sun.

Why do you need the additional 8250 lumens of the bottom bar and do you actually notice a difference?

Is the top bar more of a spot that has a narrow cone of illumination whereas it is supplemented with a wide angle fog light beam of the bottom bar?

Thank you,
Cranky
Quick question:

The top bar has 34K lumens which basically is close to the amount of lumens you would get if you could measure 15 foot from the surface of the sun.

Why do you need the additional 8250 lumens of the bottom bar and do you actually notice a difference?

Is the top bar more of a spot that has a narrow cone of illumination whereas it is supplemented with a wide angle fog light beam of the bottom bar?

Thank you,
Cranky
The bottom bar is a wide angle "fog" light that lines up with the top of the low beams of the regular headlights. It's more for dealing with crappy weather conditions where the regular headlights sometimes don't provide enough reflection of the markings on the road. (I'm looking at you Montana, terrible road paint).

The top bar is strictly long-distance spotlight. Only to be used when nobody in front of the vehicle other than wildlife.

Each bar is drastically different from the other with completely different purposes. I can keep the lower bar on without it blinding oncoming traffic (in the dry anyway) while providing enough illumination in foggy or not-so-great-visibility conditions. I have amber covers for both come winter.
You don't mind blocking half of the airflow to the radiator? Hope it never gets hot where you live ;)
This is a good point / observation.
The light bars are restricting (or at least interfering) with the radiator cooling.
Not sure to what to degree (if any) it will have. Like all things in life you have to strike a balance.
Seeing wildlife with ample notice is important at 70mph. Keeping the ICE and battery at the correct temps is also imperative. Hope it all works out. Thanks for sharing the pics. Are you willing to share the total price for the upgrade?

The specs:
Top grille light:

Bottom grille light:

So, to pics!
View attachment 186481
View attachment 186480
View attachment 186479

-Pete
Hi, My 2020 RAV4 has a “Bull Bar” and it has two bar lights , Top is a “Flood light “ for to wash the road and ditches with ample light , the Bottom one is a “Spot” light bar for long distances down the highway , thus with headlights there is more than enough light gut to search for Moose n Wild life in general on the dark highways in Canada … BUT ! one has to turn off Said lights when oncoming traffic is considered, they get pissed a tad … OH, The Bar is a very much needed protection device for the soft plastic front end …
I am waiting for someone to go the full Cibie Super Oscars route;)
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.