Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Winter is almost here in the great white north. I live out in the country 30 minutes from work. We get lots of snow out here and my road is not on the priority list for speedy snow removal from the town plow. Will 215 85's fit on my 2001 awd with the stock suspension?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Will 215 85's fit on my 2001 awd with the stock suspension?
First time I ever heard of 85 series tires.

According to Tire Rack, your OEM size is 215/70-16 (click here). According to this tire size calculator, your 85's will be 9.1 % larger in diameter, or over 2.5" (click here) This is probably too large to fit in the wheel wells, and will certainly affect the gearing and speedometer accuracy.

BTW Your profile says your in Canada, but you are flying the American flag. Sometimes an answer to your question will vary depending on your location, so this could cause some confusion.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First time I ever heard of 85 series tires.

According to Tire Rack, your OEM size is 215/70-16 (click here). According to this tire size calculator, your 85's will be 9.1 % larger in diameter, or over 2.5" (click here) This is probably too large to fit in the wheel wells, and will certainly affect the gearing and speedometer accuracy.

BTW Your profile says your in Canada, but you are flying the American flag. Sometimes an answer to your question will vary depending on your location, so this could cause some confusion.
Thanks for the profile tip. After some poking around i see that a few members on here have installed 215/85/16's successfully with the stock suspension without rubbing ect.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Even if they don't rub, please take some time to consider the other implications.

You RAV will be a little higher off the ground which will affect the handling. The change in overall gearing will make your RAV slower accelerating from a stop. Your speedometer will be off 10 km/h at highway speeds.

I'm not certain how your fuel economy will be affected. Hopefully someone more experienced can comment on that. It should improve due to the lower RPM at any particular speed, but the transmission may also stay in a lower gear longer before up-shifting.

Normally any difference over 3% is considered unacceptable. Your difference is over 9%

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Even if they don't rub, please take some time to consider the other implications.

You RAV will be a little higher off the ground which will affect the handling. The change in overall gearing will make your RAV slower accelerating from a stop. Your speedometer will be off 10 km/h at highway speeds.

I'm not certain how your fuel economy will be affected. Hopefully someone more experienced can comment on that. It should improve due to the lower RPM at any particular speed, but the transmission may also stay in a lower gear longer before up-shifting.

Normally any difference over 3% is considered unacceptable. Your difference is over 9%
...I have the 5 speed. Not really concerned about acceleration. I bought this for winter travel only. My other vehicle is a mint low mileage 2010 genesis coupe v6(306 hp) with a 6 speed manual with a few goodies. The rav4 is basically my winter toy.:wink

1 - 5 of 5 Posts