Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 29 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all. Been lurking for a number of months and finally decided to join - mostly prompted by my experience with my 5 month old XLE.

At 8500 km I found a leak beneath the car, that has subsequently been diagnosed by the dealer as a main seal leak of the front transaxle (output side).

Most frustrating is that 72 hrs before I found the leak, the Rav4 was in for Service 1, and was given an 'all good' by the dealer. A few days later, like many new owners of these modern Toyota engines, I did my first oil change. The moment I got under the car I noticed streaks of fluid on the underside of the oil filter/drain plug panel. After a quick inspection I determined that neither the drain plug nor the filter were the source of the leak.

As frustrating as it is to have a new Toyota with this sort of problem, more frustrating is the fact that having paid for Toyota's ESP, the technician/s who had the car on the hoist three days earlier did not have the presence of mind to raise a red flag when streaks of fluid were clearly present (on a new car). Imagine the mess and mechanical problems that could have been present if I did not change my oil when I did, and had waited another 8 thousand km to go in for Service 2 (which as you already know is the first oil change). Needless to say, the service work to repair the leak is being done by another dealer.

Curious, has anyone else experienced this sort of issue on a new Toyota?
What about dealing with incompetence at some dealer service centres?

Automotive tire Automotive design Hood Vehicle Tread

Hood Automotive tire Grey Automotive lighting Tints and shades

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Car

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If it was in for service that didn't involve pulling the cover how could they possibly see it? I would have hit it with brake cleaner and wait a month or so to see if the leak was active before replacing a main seal.

Main seal leak involves a lot of disassembly. It may come back with new noises. Good luck with the repair but any issues I'd trade it. Sorry you have to deal with this.
The second picture shows what can be seen w/o pulling any covers off. It is the first thing I saw the moment I got under the car (clear fluid streaks on the underside of the panel), and I knew that it was not supposed to be there. An older Toyota with 150k may well have lots of new and old fluid streaks, but a new one in for a first service should have prompted the technician to at least investigate further. Maybe the first service should include them pulling off the covers to have a more comprehensive inspection.

The one curious thing about the alleged failed main seal was that I asked the mechanic to check the gear oil in the transaxle (I was present), so he removed the plug and confirmed it was full - to the top. So, if it was leaking where did it come from if it is currently full? Your idea to clean it and check later seems like the right move. I guess I'll see how it goes this coming Friday.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For myself, I would get it fixed, sell it for a profit, then buy another one. My trust would be zero on this 1 in a million Toyota new vehicle mishap. Vehicle was maybe made on a late Friday or early Monday. Plus I would stay away from that dealership. JMHO
Not a bad idea. The main barrier to your idea is the wait times. The dealer says 3-7 months for a gas Rav4 here in Western Canada, and longer for a hybrid.

And yes, I will be staying away from Cochrane Toyota (not sure if I'm allowed to say their name on here).

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is a Toyota Tech Tip that may apply: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10204549-9999.pdf

Have your dealer investigate that possibility before you tear into the car.
Unfortunately I don't believe the TSB pertains to the specific situation my vehicle is experiencing. My leak is coming from above the oil pan, and the problem noted in the TSB specifically notes that it affects Kentucky built vehicles. My Rav4 was built in Canada. Thanks for looking into this though :)

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A quick update.

I expect to have my Rav4 back tomorrow (Tue). The dealer (different than the one I purchased from) has had it since Friday AM. There has been a delay from the promised delivery time due to the lack of Toyota gear oil. Apparently it has been backordered for a long time in Canada. They told me that they found a dealer in another town that had stock, and were able to get their hands on some.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update on the original post.
The repair was completed. I'm not in a position right now to get under the car to inspect the work, but eventually I will be and I'll have a very close look. At least the plastic covers were all put back. I'll also be talking to the service advisor about them doing a wheel alignment, as it is slightly off.

The only frustration occurred when I picked up my Rav4. As the service advisor was handing me the key she told me that they did a complimentary car wash. I was like...tell me about this car wash. She then tells me that it is a soft touch car wash. Not since I was 17 have I abused a car I have owned by putting it through these types of machines.

I go out and immediately can see micro scratches all over the paint and glass. WTF!!

I get the service manager and he agrees to have the car sent to their auto spa and have it buffed.
I agree, but whatever they put on to make the scratches go away is only temporary - as after the most recent car wash I can again see the scratches. I get it, first world problems and all, but nonetheless I am pissed off at the utter stupidity at these Toyota dealers.

1 - 6 of 29 Posts