Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have looked but if I've missed the search, I apologize. I'm getting closer to a northwoods hunt and from another thread, I have, I think, a more reasonable understanding of what my little Rav 4 can, and can't, do, when it comes to off road capabilities.

I won't go in if we risk high-centering. Just want the better solution among a few alternatives, on finite funds. Most of my available dough has gone into getting ready for this hunt with my son, in outfitting in other ways.

One caveat: I'll say again, please excuse my relative ignorance as I don't know what effect changing the aspect ratio will have, if it's even possible to do. I also don't know if I need to be concerned with our car's ABS given any changes made here.

At any rate, we have on board moderately worn 225 65 R17's. Alternatives I can think of:

-keep these tires on board, and just chain them as needed.
-move to a bigger tire. I'd like to ask: (1) would either the 235 or 245 70 R17 work? (2) Is one better than the other? (3) Should we stick to the same aspect ratio?

Secondly, I don't know what else we should plan on. I understand (I think), it's best to buy an additional eyelet for any intended pull scenario, and that we should chain and shackle these two, and only then add a strap for pulling out (do I understand properly here?).

-Would a come along be sufficient, at least reasonably so?, or
-Would a winch be called for? If so, how does one attach a winch to their stock car, what's needed?
-a winch anchor like the Pul Pal seems expensive. Is it worth it?
-Max Traxx
-shovels and other "small" equipment

-any of these must haves? Anything I'm missing?

Many thanks, guys.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Mods, as I wrote on another thread, for some reason I'm not getting notifications, will look into my end. At any rate, I have another thread that is broader in scope than this one but is definitely related, and I apologize as I thought the thread was inactive and didn't want to necromance. Just wanted you to know, in case you'd prefer to close this thread as I don't want to take up needless bandwidth.

Thanks very much all for any help.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts