Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've gone from factory steels to alloys that are ET35 with 235/60/16 rubber.

I noticed when changing the pads the tyre has shined up a plate on the end of the transmission

So

1. Whats the plate there for - it almost looks like it is put there for the tyre to touch it otherwise you would just have plain and simple transmission casing

2. Assuming I can - what do I need to do to change my steel wheel RAV 4.1 to an alloy wheel 4.1 so it wont rub (I wondered about spacers but I don't think they would make enough difference)

(By the way I don't think the rubbing is sufficient to damage the tyre - after a couple of thousand miles all it has done is rub off the moulding nobbles)

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Can we some pics, i cant image exactly what your talking about.

I am inclined to say you need a shim, but im not sure unless i see the grafix :)

cheers

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you know the answer to my question - you will know what part I am talking about

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
You may want to get your alloys with the same or close to factory offset as possible. It is possible that your 35 offset on the alloys are causing the inner part of your tire to rub the transmission housing. :eek: You might also consider getting less wider tires (i.e. 225s instead of the 235s), that also may be adding to the problem.

If you cannot get new alloys/tires, try some wheel spacers. I've got 30mm H&R wheel spacers and have had no problems so far. Just make sure that if you get some front spacers that they are hubcentric; if not, you will definitely experience vibration at high speeds. I've been there and learned the hard way. Good luck. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts