Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 02 RAV4 L has alloy rims and I run 235-60R16s on them. But I want to get a set of steel rims for my winter tires, which are the same size. Will the 235 tires fit on the standard steel RAV4 rims, or only the 215 OE tires?

Pete

S

·
0 Posts
No problem, I had 235s on my factory steels and worked great. 215s work better for snow tires though(dig in more, less floatation) but depends how severe the winter conditions are.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
philrav4 said:
Boondox said:
I want to get a set of steel rims for my winter tires, which are the same size.

Pete
Isn't the stock mags 16x7 and stock steel rims 16x6.5?
Sorry, I meant the snow tires were the same size; not sure about the rim width. Sibbo -- I live next to a ski resort and get a LOT of snow, so would have been much happier with a narrow snow tire. Unfortunately, the RAV came with 235 Nankook snows. I'll do my best to wear them out so they can be replaced with some good Haaks or an equivalent tire.

Thanks! Pete

S

·
0 Posts
Hey boondox, snow tires are still ight years ahead of all seasons regardless of width. Down the road it would be interesting for you to update us as to how much difference you notice if you go with narrower tires.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Pete, if I remember correctly I think 6.5 sounds right for the steelies width size and that’s the lowest recommended width for your 235 tires.

As for your Nankook don’t wear them. :shock:

They should be an excellent snow tire. As for going down to a 215’s I would not worry about it for now.
After almost 2 months of research I selected 235 winters.
In certain situations they are superior and in others inferior and either way it’s not by that much.

Walt

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sibbo said:
Hey boondox, snow tires are still ight years ahead of all seasons regardless of width. Down the road it would be interesting for you to update us as to how much difference you notice if you go with narrower tires.
Actually from personal experience on other vehicles here in northern Vermont I can tell you it makes quite a bit of difference. No difference on ice or slush, but when driving over powder wide tires ride on top and you just don't get much grip, while narrow tires cut down to the ground and let you get home.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Directional tires which i assume you have are the way to go in the slush and you will have more contact area with the 235’s in this regard.
Downside is really on heavy or packed snow you can expect to ride on top more. I have not had issues with really light, dry, virgin powder.

Here in Toronto are roads are mostly cold & dry in most of the 4 months because of plowing and salting. Then there are the times with snow, slush and ice. So that’s why I did not want to run a narrower 215.

Walt

1 - 8 of 8 Posts