Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
It might rub on the front lower inner fender well closest to the firewall on the driver's side. I'm running 235/55/18 and it rubs lightly sometimes during u-turns or left-hand turns (depending on how sharp of a turn it may be)....

·
Registered
392 Posts
The standard ride height on 2WD & 4WD RAV4's are the same. You'll need to get a lift kit installed on your RAV4 for a taller ride height if you're concerned about rubbing with taller sidewall tires.

Or get 235/60/16 size tires, which is the standard size on the 4WD versions of 4.1 & 4.2 RAV4's.

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
billstock said:
Has anyone tried 235-65-16 tires? Looks like an interesting size for a 4.1.
Should work fine 8) They are SLIGTLY SMALLER than the 225/70/16's I'm currently running 8) Mine have never rubbed... or I should say... NOT that I've noticed :lol:

Use the "Tire Size Calculator" on our http://rav4world.com/index/tirelist.html for more comparisons.

·
Registered
392 Posts
RAVMAN, do you think my 235/55/18 tire size rubs on occasion due to having a wheel offset of 35ET?

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
phantomdg said:
RAVMAN, do you think my 235/55/18 tire size rubs on occasion due to having a wheel offset of 35ET?
MIGHT be :? ... since your 18's have almost the same exact overall dimensions as my 16's. It's been reported that the OEM offset is either 45mm or 43mm.

·
Registered
392 Posts
RAVMAN, it only rubs on a small part of the inner fender liner near the lower firewall closest to the driver. There's a weird shaped protrusion on the liner in that location. I was thinking of cutting it out to stop the rubbing from happening.

Any suggestions as to why I shouldn't cut out this protrusion out of the inner fender liner?

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Iwas under the car yesterday and noticed the same thing with standard tyres fitted - Maybe someone in the past has had larger ones fitted - but i think it may be that all of them are gonna rub if you turn HARD LEFT!!!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
phantomdg said:
RAVMAN, it only rubs on a small part of the inner fender liner near the lower firewall closest to the driver. There's a weird shaped protrusion on the liner in that location. I was thinking of cutting it out to stop the rubbing from happening.

Any suggestions as to why I shouldn't cut out this protrusion out of the inner fender liner?
Phantomdog, try this mod. out from the CustomTacos website:

http://www.CustomTacos.com/tech/index.php?article=9

Talks about the same thing that you are referring to. :thumbs_up:

·
Registered
392 Posts
Thanks, Derek!!!

When I have time, I may just have to verify that the 4.1 RAV's have this "pinch weld" and do what the guy did on CustomTacos.com to his truck.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I've inspected my 1998 RAV4 in the driver's side wheel well, and sure enough there is a bulge in the exact same area. This is exactly where my wheel/tires rubs when making sharp left turns. I can see the rub marks in the plastic wheel liner on this protrusion. :lol:

·
Registered
392 Posts
Derek,

I'm a little surprised your tires rub too. Are you going to do anything to your wheel well to prevent future rubbing issues?

·
Registered
650 Posts
RAVMAN said:
phantomdg said:
MIGHT be :? ... since your 18's have almost the same exact overall dimensions as my 16's. It's been reported that the OEM offset is either 45mm or 43mm.
I checked during my last rotation.

On the aluminum wheel below, it's 45mm.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts