Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Not I... but there shouldn't be much reason you couldn't do it if you really wanted to for whatever reason... Just keep in mind that your speedometer / odometer will probably be reading approximately 2% slow assuming you're moving up from the XLE's 225/65R17's and about 3% slow if you have an SE or Limited with 235/55R18s.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gonna need snow tires so will also need new rims for the Limited I purchased today. the taller the skinnier the better for a snow tire.

·
Registered
236 Posts
gonna need snow tires so will also need new rims for the Limited I purchased today. the taller the skinnier the better for a snow tire.
Certainly a good plan... but if that's the case (stepping down from a LTD 18"), why not just go with the standard XLE size of 225 or perhaps even 215 - as opposed to sticking with the 235 width? Just a thought...

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
theoretically the 235/65/17 is same width but about .8in taller than the 235/55/18. Will continue to look into other sizes.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Bridgestone makes a tire that is suppose to be a good snow tire, Blizzak. It comes in 235 /55/18, for Hybrid Limited models. Costco sells them also. My 2016 Hybrid Limited still has the OEM Yokohama tires with 14,000 to date. I'm thinking about changing them out already. One tire has a slow leak, and another has a minor cut on the sidewall. Shame to dump these tires so soon but it becomes penny wise pound foolish to gamble with tires in my mind. I'm probably going to go to Michelin, Costco will be running a sale 11/17, 70$ off a set of 4.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bridgestone Blizzak's don't seem to rate too good over the last few years, at least in Winter tire tests conducted in Germany. The problem with most snow tires is that they don't do too good on packed snow because they float instead of dig down due to narrow grooves, unlike AT or mud tires. Kind of sucks. My ideal snow tire is a studded and sipped skinny mud tire but can't find any in the size for the Rav :) I had Yokohamas on my 07 when new and they didn't do too good back then either.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yup, wonder if a at weighs more than non-at tires?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts