Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there.
I went from the OEM 235/60/16 to 225/70/16 (BFG Long Tail TA) without any problems. Now i'm thinking to go from the 225 to 235/70/16 (BFG All Terrain TA). Except the speedometer that will read slower i guess, is there any other "downsides" of doing such a thing ?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
sizes

I tried getting taller tires and I was told that I could only get 225/70/16. I think they are thinner? but taller. Right? 235/70/16 was not advised because it will hit my rims, according to the "Belle Tire" person.
I got the OEM size then because the 225/70/16 looked thinner.

·
Registered
396 Posts
joe rocket said:
Hi there.
I went from the OEM 235/60/16 to 225/70/16 (BFG Long Tail TA) without any problems. Now i'm thinking to go from the 225 to 235/70/16 (BFG All Terrain TA). Except the speedometer that will read slower i guess, is there any other "downsides" of doing such a thing ?
One of the members here, Becky, has slapped on some 235/70/16 on her Rav4 LS. I think the only downside to her choice was that she couldn't fit the same size tire on the spare tire well. So, if you get that choice of tire, carry a can of tire sealant or have a cell phone handy with a tow truck number just in case.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Yep, I've got 'em. And actually I could've fit one on the spare if I removed the hard cover and also added some spacers to the spare tire bracket (instructions on this are posted on Rav4Oz), but to be honest I was too cheap to do it. I figure I've got AAA, so they can bring me a tire if I ever need one. :wink: Seriously though, I'm considering doing it.

Anyway, the tires fit just fine and don't rub a bit. I also think they look really nice. I've got some photos in my album here that show how they look. I need to get going and take some more one of these days though.

Interesting thing about the speedo.... You know those little radar carts that the police will park on a street for a week or so that show your speed in great big lit up numbers as you approach it? I've driven by two of those, two different ones (different municipalities), and in both cases the speed displayed matched the speed on my speedo EXACTLY. I don't know how accurate those are, but I figure it's the same radar as the police use so I must be okay. :lol: But anyway, either by some miraculous coincidence my speedo was exactly 7% off from the factory, or the police radar is 7% off!

Becky

·
Registered
184 Posts
thats true what Becky are sayin about fitting the taires into rav4.2. Ive got them also, plus additional I lifted up the vehicle for 1.5 in.Even without it you can fir those tires with no problem.
But what I can say is those tires make your car really slow on acceleration and you wont get proper gas mileage as well as you wont be able to operate your cruse control, because it couldnt keep permanent setteled speed.
For instance I used to have 350 miles per full tank, now i`m getting only 250. Therefore you will have 7% mistake. Also I`d suggest to make your alignment and ballance with rotation every 7000 miles.
The rest is great, because those tires give your rav really muscular style.

Becky I was wondering whay you dont have any problem with your gas readings, that sound is wierd.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I drive past one of those radar displays everyday on my way to school and i've noticed that the reading on my speedo is faster than what the radar says i'm going. The upside is that when I drive past traffic cops i'm really goin slower than what i think i am so i guess its just a buffer or something.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts