Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that my new RAV4 is pretty hungry so far. Ok the engine is new, it is cold and most of the time I do short trips 10-15km but still. With very gentle foot I'm still struggling to get good mileage at least 33MPG ~7.1 l/100km it is far from advertised 46MPG or 5.1 l/100km.
Maybe during summer it will get much better.

But anyway I'm really enjoying the car... :smile

Pedroo

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Short trips are the enemy. I'm not sure where you saw advertising for 46mpg, but EPA 31mpg is the only thing advertised here. 46 is Prius territory. Learn how to drive a hybrid, pump up the tires and give it 5000k miles to break in.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
It is VERY temperature dependent. How cold is "cold"? I'm getting about 12 l/100kms in winter in temps anywhere from -5 to -35 C. At anything below -20 the engine rarely if ever shuts off. The engine runs to produce cabin heat as well which is also a cold weather mileage killer. In summer I was getting around 6.5 l/100kms. Short trips have an impact as well. I've never seen it advertised here in Canada as 46 mpg. I just drive it and don't worry about it. It's cold here, nothing I can do about it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Short trips are the enemy. I'm not sure where you saw advertising for 46mpg, but EPA 31mpg is the only thing advertised here. 46 is Prius territory. Learn how to drive a hybrid, pump up the tires and give it 5000k miles to break in.
I took the number directly from Toyota's price list for EU:

Urban (city): 5.1 l/100km
Extra-urban: 4.9 l/100km
Combined: 5.1 l/100km

which in MPG (US gallon per 100 miles. For UK gallon it would be even higher number):
Urban (city): 46.12 MPG
Extra-urban: 48 MPG
Combined: 46.12 MPG

I used online converter so I'm not sure if it was accurate but it seems so.
This info was from Toyota's official prospects.

Pedroo

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is VERY temperature dependent. How cold is "cold"? I'm getting about 12 l/100kms in winter in temps anywhere from -5 to -35 C. At anything below -20 the engine rarely if ever shuts off. The engine runs to produce cabin heat as well which is also a cold weather mileage killer. In summer I was getting around 6.5 l/100kms. Short trips have an impact as well. I've never seen it advertised here in Canada as 46 mpg. I just drive it and don't worry about it. It's cold here, nothing I can do about it.
I have car in a garage where temperature is about +6 C. Outside is -7 to -2 C. So when I start the engine it is not below zero. I turned off the AC.

Just for fun here is Toyota UK with their advertisement on fuel economy -> 57.6 MPG (UK gallon) :surprisewhich is 4.9 l/100km or 48 MPG (US gallon):

https://www.toyota.co.uk/new-cars/rav4/index.json

I think they do not dare to mislead US customers...

Anyway I don't care I love the car!

Pedroo
:nerd

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
~25mpg is about what I'm getting making short trips around town in 24º-40ºF weather, the engine is still warming up by the time I reach my destination, then cools down a bit before making the next hop, so it only reaches normal operating temp where it's most efficient just about the time I get back home. I try to combine multiple stops in one day's travel, but it isn't always convenient to do that.

·
Registered
422 Posts
This is the sales broschure from EU (Sweden) the milage is 5l/100km

Ive run a couple of tanks at 5.6L measured at pump

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Apparently its not. You've messed up the conversion somewhere.
I double checked and yes it was correct. Here is yet another online converter which confirms the calculation is ok:

Convert Miles Per Gallon (US) to Liters per 100 Kilometers

46 MPG ~ 5.11 liters/100km (for US gallon 3.78 liters)

5.1 liters/100km is value being advertised by Toyota here in the EU.

I will wait for summer and will try to achieve that value. It will be a challenge for sure :) but it will be also fun.

Pedroo

·
Registered
324 Posts
I am turning in my 2015 Limited for a 2017 Hybrid SE next week. Temps here in Montreal average around -8C. I am hoping that I see a 25% increase in overall fuel economy. I noticed the Hybrid takes longer to get to operating temperature than the non hybrid. Do you park in a garage or have a block heater?

·
Registered
218 Posts
My mileage is SO related to temps. I'm in Central Ontario. In Nov. I was getting 7 - 7.2 l/100km. Dec and Jan has climbed up to over 8. Worst fill-ups have been lately around 8.4. Best I ever got was 6.2 back in June.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts