Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all. I'm new to the site but not new to RAV4s. This is our third Rav. We had a 2015 and then a 2019 Lunar Rock 2019 XLE Premium AWD (which we loved). We only had the 2019 for about month when my wife was driving and was rear ended at 50 miles an hour. Completely totaled it. Thankfully she walked away with no injuries. I can definitely say they are safe vehicles.

We have had our newest one for about a year now. We downgraded to save some money and just got a used XLE AWD due to me not being eligible for my employee discount since I had just used it. (I work at the Toyota plant in Georgetown, KY that builds the Hyrbrid RAV4. I have installed the Prinsu roof rack with the Cali Raised light bar. Really love the versatility with it. We took two kayaks all the way to Key West this past summer with no problems.

The next step in building our adventure vehicle was to add some new tires and wheels. I have researched this for a while before making the purchase. After a lot of reading and seeing everyone else's opinions, I decided to go with the Falken Wildpeak AT3 ($660 shipped). I found an instagram user who lives in Japan that is running a 245/75/R16. After a lot of calculating, I decided to go with a +13 mm offset wheel that is made by Black Rock ($415 shipped). They make wheels specifically for Jeeps, but the bolt pattern and offset on these should work fine. The instagram user @yuuma625 is running the same size tire with a 0 mm offset wheel, so I feel confident in my selection. If all else fails, I plan to purchase the 2.5" lift kit and install that as well as making modifications to the plastic and wheel wells.

I will be working on this for the next few weeks and will try to post updated pictures on the progress. I just got the tires put on the wheels and balanced today. Going to do some test fitting tomorrow. Let me know what you all think. The plan for the build is for a higher ground clearance with an aggressive stance.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Please keep us posted!

I love those wheels. They will look great. Let us know about the fitment.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Love it! I am running 215/85R16 and plan to move to the same 245/75R16. Same diameter but a little beefier. Looking forward to your experiences!

edit

Oh, and I am running a similar +10 offset and plan to stick with that for the new tires as well, so good choice!

·
Registered
2020 XSE with Tech Package
20 Posts
Keep us updated. I'm planning to run the same size in the spring when I change the from the winters.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE
So yesterday I installed one of the wheels and tires on the passenger front. Turned the wheel both ways with no rubbing at all. It was extremely close, but did not make contact to the plastic. I called it a night and then started back on it this afternoon. When I went to take the wheel off to put the center caps on, I noticed that the caliper seemed awfully close to the inside of the wheel. I got in the car and slowly backed up. I noticed there was definitely some resistance so I stopped. I took the wheel off and unfortunately the caliper was making contact with the wheel. It's not much but it made some good scrape marks. I jumped on amazon and ordered a set of hub centric 3 mm spacers after doing some measuring. This should get the wheel out just enough to clear the caliper. I tried the back wheel and since the calipers are smaller back there, it cleared just fine. These wheels usually go on Jeeps, so that why I figured I was having the clearing issue. I honestly couldn't believe how far the RAV's calipers stick out. I'll post some more pictures when they come in on Wednesday. I'll give a little sneak peak with these pictures of how it's going to look. I'll just say that I'm very happy with the aggressive stance and increased ground clearance.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Love it! I am running 215/85R16 and plan to move to the same 245/75R16. Same diameter but a little beefier. Looking forward to your experiences!

edit

Oh, and I am running a similar +10 offset and plan to stick with that for the new tires as well, so good choice!
Thanks! Did you have any issues with the wheels hitting your front calipers? Did you have to use spacers?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm running a similar tire diameter and offset but in 17" (245/70-17 17x8 +20) and noticing some rubbing on my front mudflaps but I don't see them on your car.
Otherwise no issues while driving

I think the concave of that wheel and how the Toyota caliper bracket sits quite close to the hub is the issue
I had the same issue on my Prius when installing BRZ/FRS wheels, it needed a 5mm spacer to clear the outer caliper bracket (despite the FRS/BRZ having bigger calipers)

·
Registered
542 Posts
Looks great!

I have run this style of wheel on my last 2 vehicles and would have done the same if it wasn’t for the caliper rubbing. I read about it on here, and really it’s because of the concave design of the wheel. Also as mentioned, caliper placement on these vehicles is far out. They are the best looking ‘offroad’ style wheel, minus the potential fitment issues.

Have you thought of anything to address the center bore size? Unfortunately rings won’t work with the steel wheels. Or will you just leave it as is?
Let us know how it all comes together.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I have 100k+ miles on lug-centric wheels with no issues. I have hub-centric rings in my wish list on Amazon but have never been motivated to buy them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks great!

I have run this style of wheel on my last 2 vehicles and would have done the same if it wasn’t for the caliper rubbing. I read about it on here, and really it’s because of the concave design of the wheel. Also as mentioned, caliper placement on these vehicles is far out. They are the best looking ‘offroad’ style wheel, minus the potential fitment issues.

Have you thought of anything to address the center bore size? Unfortunately rings won’t work with the steel wheels. Or will you just leave it as is?
Let us know how it all comes together.
I plan to put a hub-centric spacer to bring the steel wheel out a bit more to clear the caliper. I had read that as long as you torque the wheels in the star pattern it should center it properly on the hub. I know I ran another car with aftermarket wheels that weren’t hub-centric and didn’t have any issues. It would be nice to have some sort of a conversation spacer to get it to the correct bore size of the wheel though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I found that the Black Rock wheels I have are 3.3 inch bore (83.8 mm). Not sure if they make a hub centric ring for 60.1 to 83.8. The best I could find was a max of 79.1. Possible the center cap would make up for the 4 mm but I doubt it.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Normally the conical lug nuts should more or less center the wheel if torqued properly. There are so many arguments about lugcentric VS hubcentric... some vehicles are lugcentric to begin with. You should be fine, but there is always the risk of vibration if the wheel isn't centered.

Your center cap won't help with that, and either way, hubcentric rings don't work with steel wheels. I am unsure how one would center that kind of wheel on the hub - I faced the same dillema and eventually chose another wheel.

As for your spacer, is it the kind that simply slips over the lug nuts and gets sandwiched between the wheel and hub? If so, keep in mind you will lose 3mm of lug thread for tightening the wheel. I am not against spacers (I am running 25mm hubcentric myself) but they are bolt on.

Either way be safe and have fun! Hope it all works out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Your center cap won't help with that, and either way, hubcentric rings don't work with steel wheels. I am unsure how one would center that kind of wheel on the hub - I faced the same dillema and eventually chose another wheel.

As for your spacer, is it the kind that simply slips over the lug nuts and gets sandwiched between the wheel and hub? If so, keep in mind you will lose 3mm of lug thread for tightening the wheel. I am not against spacers (I am running 25mm hubcentric myself) but they are bolt on.

Either way be safe and have fun! Hope it all works out.
Why would they not work with steel wheels? Is it due to the fact that the wheel is thin metal where it goes on the hub? I did just go with a slip on spacer. After measuring, I feel I will still have a pretty good amount of threads on the lugs for the lug nuts to tighten on. I definitely want to be safe on this modification. I will post some updates when the spacers come in. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Exactly, where the wheel meets the hub is simply thin metal.
Either way, this setup looks fantastic, please keep us posted on results. If ever you lift it, it’s going to be hard to beat.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
UPDATE
I was able to get the wheels installed this evening. I had a bit of an issue with the spacers still. Even after installing a 3 mm spacer, the wheel was slightly making contact with the inside of the caliper. I ended up using two 3 mm spacers for each front wheel. This made the wheel clear. I also did some research on how many threads are needed for the closed end lug nuts. Several sites stated you need at least 1.5 times the diameter of the stud. I measure and was right at that after installing the steel wheel on top of the spacers. Due to the steel being thinner than an aluminum alloy wheel, I had enough threads to get quite a few turns on the lugs. I torqued them to 85 ft lbs in a star pattern so the wheel would seat correctly. For the rear, I didn't have any spacers left, so I simply installed them with no spacers. I did order a set of 5 mm spacers to install on the rear just to get an even offset of the tires from front to back. I measured the ground clearance in the front before the install and it was sitting around 7.5 inches. After installing the wheels and tires there is a gain of 1.25 inches on ground clearance putting it at almost 9 inches. I drove it to the gas station and back and surprisingly there wasn't much more road noise with the Wildpeak ATs. Also, I experienced no rubbing, which actually blew my mind. I thought for sure it would rub, but so far so good. It must be because these are a bit skinnier than some of the other tires I see on here, plus the +13 offset definitely gets it away from the inner wheel well.

Excuse the filthy vehicle pictures. It is pretty cold here and I only wash it by hand. I'll hopefully get some better pictures in the near future. For now, I am pretty happy that I was able to get these wheels to work. If I had known ahead of time that the calipers sit so close to the hub, I may have changed my mind with the wheels, but I am glad I didn't because I think these look amazing. I love the beefy tire look that the 16 inch wheel allows for. Yes, we all know these aren't super off-road vehicles, but if we wanted that, we would have bought that. I love this because it gets great gas milage and can look great at the same time. Our plan is to pull a pop up camper behind it and head out west this summer for a two week road trip so there are definitely more updates to come from this build. Thanks for the feedback from everyone.

Before:

After:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts