Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I have taken this vehicle to its design limit. Most trails around North America with maximum weight possible. I have towed trailers with mulch and furniture. It is my office ride and also a grocery getter. We have slept in it areas where having a tent is too risky because of bears.

I maintain it 100% OEM!!
Even my oil filter is TOYOTA J

New factory steering rack
All four factory shocks/struts changed
OEM radiator about to be put in (thermostat a second time just because replacing radiator)
Cassette player changed (OEM) .. thank God I found one in a junkyard. New ones are expensive.
One window regulator changed so far
Windshield replaced due to cracks from the Dalton highway up to the Arctic (Alaska) .. LOL
Front headlights changed also thanks to Dalton Highway J

Front axle transmission seal repaired 20k miles ago but may need it again. Not properly fixed last time even if Toyota dealer did it.
One quart of oil is burned every 1000 miles. (I use 10W40, regular just because it burns out. My other vehicles use Synthetic)
The headliner WAS aftermarket because an aftermarket sunroof was put in. I found a nice FACTORY one at the junkyard for $50.00 and stuck that in. New ones were like $500.. phew !!.. close call.
NO LEAKS!!

Some pics attached below with my odometer. My daughter tried to photobomb the front of my RAV and won’t get out of the way so this is the best pic possible for front that I am posting out of several I took. She was sticking her face in front of the camera. LOL. She was giving me hard time for being too much in love with my car.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,025 Posts
Congrats on reaching 250,000 miles! And good luck for your next 250,000!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi RAV4EVR, that last pic, how come you have a Aussie Northern Territory (NT) licence plate on the front?

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,893 Posts
Hi RAV4EVR, that last pic, how come you have a Aussie Northern Territory (NT) licence plate on the front?
A better question would be why don't you have a Tennessee plate on the front of yours? :)

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Done the outback. Not in this car but in a RAV4. Spent a few months in the middle of nowhere. Brought me a souvenir. LOL

A better question would be why don't you have a Tennessee plate on the front of yours? :)

Tennessee only requires plates in the back. :D

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,893 Posts
Tennessee only requires plates in the back. :D
Yeah, Louisiana too. I've seen Range Rovers with UK plates on the front, and Audis with German plates up front.

·
Registered
9,025 Posts
Oregon requires licence plates both front and rear - I suspect that is so that they will be clearly visible in the many surveillance, red light and speed camera photos! Police state mentality . . .:frown

·
Registered
112 Posts
If I had a Tennessee licence plate on the front of my Rav4, they'd shove me in the slammer and throw away the key! :-(

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If I had a Tennessee licence plate on the front of my Rav4, they'd shove me in the slammer and throw away the key! :-(

Are you serious? LOL :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mine is 50K miles behind you. After recent Utah & Oregon/Washington trips, it needs new tires, new shocks and new timing belt (100K miles already) very soon. What is your timing belt replacement interval?

Thanks and keep rolling :)

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mine is 50K miles behind you. After recent Utah & Oregon/Washington trips, it needs new tires, new shocks and new timing belt (100K miles already) very soon. What is your timing belt replacement interval?

Thanks and keep rolling :)

It should be around 60 to 90k I think. I have not read the details in the booklet but I think 100k should be the limit.

I changed mine about 90k miles ago so I am thinking about it these days.

Reactions: 4point1

·
Super Moderator
11,459 Posts
I've never taken a car to that mileage. If it had I wouldn't trust it one bit. Congratulations on what you have accomplished.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've never taken a car to that mileage. If it had I wouldn't trust it one bit. Congratulations on what you have accomplished.

LOLZ ... I would not trust it either if it was NOT a Toyota.. :-D
I think the key is maintenance.
I mean I "hand wash" its underbody including all suspension components after it gets dirty. It is called being crazy.

nice looking 250,000 mile Rav4 there.

Thanks man.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 23 Posts