Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the RAV4 has 2500 miles on it and ahhhh, theres really not much to report. :D Everything seems to be operating as it should. No squeaks or unusual sounds nor bad smells or hesitations or surges.

I did check the oil and with half it's projected servicable lifespan exhausted it's still very clear and the level hasn't made any noticable drop. It's still right on the full dot.
The tranny fluid was also right on with no noticable burnt smell. Ditto on the brake fluid too.

I would report on the fuel mileage but the primary operator doesn't reset her odometer and sometimes doesn't completely fill it up so theres no benchmark. But she's still smile'n so it must not be TOO bad. When I do get to drive it on occaision, I most always have to fill it up and turn the radio down but I have no idea how many miles tge Rav4 has gone since it's last feeding.......

This is our 2nd Toyota and we've been very impressed with their craftmanship.
Volfandt

·
Registered
233 Posts
I don't get it. He just reported that his oil looks clear and full. Why should somebody with clear oil exchange it before the recommanded interval? :shock:

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
because the first oil change is sooooo important. There are lots of machining material shavings in the engine and the first oil change will get these out. And considering how cheap an oil change is as compared to the cost of the vehicle.. It a no brainer in my book.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Raffor said:
I don't get it. He just reported that his oil looks clear and full. Why should somebody with clear oil exchange it before the recommanded interval? :shock:
Agree..

When I bought my 02 CRV (what I traded in for my new RAV) the oil had a "Honda secret sauce" in the oil and came with a requirement to not change the oil before the first recommended oil change interval.

On the "Oil looks clear" remark...

You can not tell the condition of the oil by looking at it. The only way to know what is going on for sure is to have it Analyzed.

I use Blackstone Labs. I usually have the oil analyzed at the first change interval to check for abnormal conditions and again after a year has gone by to determine what the change intervals should be based on my driving patterns ( has been around 5k miles on my other vehicles)

link to Blackstone Labs

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/gas_engines.html

PS: The subject of oil is a RELIGOUS topic so opinions will be all over the map. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
233 Posts
I was told by VW when I bought my 01 GTI that whatever I want to do with the car, do not change the oil before the 5k brake in period. I did exactly this and I never had any problems on the that car with oil consumption, mileage, or power.

When flyingn would be right and the engine is braking, wouldn't you see a considerable worse mileage with your first tank? In addition you should see particles in the oil when looking at your oil stick. When the oil is clear, that doesn't mean necessarily the oil is great, but it tells you that either the engine does not produce much particles or the oil filter is a doing a great job. In either case, clear oil goes up the cylinders and that is what counts.

Does this make sense to you? Why else would the engineers that designed this engine recommand the first oilchange after 5k miles.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
There are two school of thoughs on this subject. In the old days, the break in oil requires it to be change out at a 1000 miles. It is also a good idea to get all the metal shavings out from all the parts that are wearing in.
Most factories no longer ship cars with special break in oil that requires a early change out, instead they use regular oil with a high moly content which help the engine break in faster. Also, manufacturers are building parts with much tighter torlarance now a days. Which means less matel shavings. Most of the metal shavings are trap by the oil filter anyways, so it may be a good idea to change the oil filter at 1000 miles, since most of the break in occurs at around 500 miles.
When all else fails, just go by the owner's manual. There may be a reason why they dont want you to change out the oil early. I have called Toyota's hot line about this. I think the person on the other end was just reading from the manual as well when she told me to just change it at normal interval.

·
Registered
233 Posts
What I understand from your mail is that if Toyota put the high moly oil in the car for better break in, it would be bad when we would do our oilchange premature.

If they do put in "normal" oil for the initial break in period, it would be beneficial to do the oilchange early (at least it does not hurt).

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
I am not 100% sure about Toyota, but I know that Honda, VW, Audi and many other manufacturer do use moly and other additives in their oil when ship from factory. It is pretty save to assume that Toyota does the same thing since it is becoming common practice among auto manufacturers to do this. I have read on the NSX and S2000 forums that the Honda and Acura dealers actually refuse appointments for 1st oil change before 7500 miles.
Personnally, I am still stuck between old school and the new moly theory. So I do my 1st oil change at 2500 and every 4000 miles after that.

R

·
0 Posts
One of the reasons I bought Toyota was its reliability reputation. If their owner's guide says change the oil every 5,000 miles, that's good enough for me. The local Toyota service manager went to great pains to explain that Toyota had developed special transmission lubricants and radiator anti freeze solution. In fact it use to be normal practice to flush the radiator annually. Not anymore. Toyota recommends its radiator fluid be replaced once every 100,000 miles. Do all things automotive evolve? I gave away my timing light many years ago.

·
Registered
652 Posts
flyingn said:
because the first oil change is sooooo important. There are lots of machining material shavings in the engine and the first oil change will get these out. And considering how cheap an oil change is as compared to the cost of the vehicle.. It a no brainer in my book.
I wondered about the first 1000 mile oil change theory, so I asked people in the know from dealers to mechanics. This "shaving yada yada" is no longer applicable. Due to changes in manufacturing and the like, contaminents are not left in the engine as they once were.

But if it makes you feel better, do it. :)

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
well I know from a fact that there are shavings.. I have a friend who owns a large automotive machine shop and he has taken apart many a new engines for warranty issues for smaller dealers and he has shown me first hand how much debris (sometimes) is in brand new engines. Its not all engines but at $20 to change the oil why even take a chance??

E

·
0 Posts
Oil change intervals are of course a debateable issue. Bottom line is to go with manufactures recommendation. You are covered by the manufctures warranty when using the recommended intervals. I never worry about and engine failure. For insurance, keep the cell phone charged and the AAA in your wallet.

R

·
0 Posts
summerwind said:
And then there is the religion of Synthetic better than Dino (Tis,,Tis not,,Tis), 20 weight vs 30 Weight... :wink:
Yep, these debates will never end...

FWIW, I had 239,000 miles on an old Camry before I totaled it -- ran like a dream -- dumped the factory fill at about 1,000 miles and used Mobil 1 ever since, with the average oil change at about 6,000 miles (usually 5K, sometimes 7K). Always used a Toyota filter. Could be that some others filter "more" but I was also concerned about flow rates, etc., and felt more secure going with what the manufacturer designed. NO major engine repairs during the entire run. Valves were a little noisier toward the end, that's it... still plenty of power and smooth runnin'.....

I dumped my RAV's factory fill at about 1,500 miles, replaced with Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-30 (installed a new filter element, too, of course). Goodbye "special sauce" if there was any in there....

E

·
0 Posts
summerwind said:
And then there is the religion of Synthetic better than Dino (Tis,,Tis not,,Tis), 20 weight vs 30 Weight... :wink:
You are correct. Listen and learn and ask questions. I usually go to google.com for detail info.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts