Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

250k miles and still going strong.....

465 5
Wheel Tire Water Car Sky

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Sky

.....my only complaint is that the interior plastics have become a little loose and as a result, some rattles have developed. Does anybody know where to purchase a variety of clips (in bulk) to replace the ones currently holding the interior plastics in place.

I've been working at a local Toyota dealership for the past two years in the service/repair department. I asked a coworker (from the parts department) if he could order all of the clips, he looked in Toyota's computer database and the clips are discontinued. Not available.

I know I can get a small variety pack from any auto parts retail store, but that's a dumb idea to buy a pack of 8 clips and only use three out of that pack. End up having to buy 100 variety packs just to have the amount of specific interior clips I need.

Anybody know of a source where I can buy in bulk?
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1998 Rav4, manual transmission, 2WD, 5-door, JDM engine installed in 2013
370 Posts
I would be off to the salvage yard to carefully remove a number of the needed fasteners. Subsequently I might try an Armor All product to make it look like new. As a last resort, I would apply a high gloss paint to the part of the fastener that was visible when installed.

· Registered
39 Posts
A bit of tape, (vinyl, tesa etc) on the clip or fastner then installing should take care of any rattles due to enlargement of gaps along with fatigue in the clips themselves.
Use a thin tape that does not offer tons of friction, this idea btw is from custom audio guys, they work meticulously to eliminate sources of such sounds.
Good looking truck, mine has more scrapes but it runs great, esp. after removal of rear seats and spare tire.

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A bit of tape, (vinyl, tesa etc) on the clip or fastner then installing should take care of any rattles
I ended up removing every bit of the interior except the dash & steering column.

I applied Dynamat sheets on almost every flat/curved metal surface.

I applied silicone sealant on all the clips/pins.

Any plastic pieces which are not seen got the silicone put on it so not only is the clips glued in place, the plastics are also glued to the metal surface as well.

I even bought cans of expanding foam and filled in all the little cavities and hollow channels (such as around the door openings and inside the rear cargo door).

I can honestly say, my Rav is now as quiet as a prison janitor cleaning up the hallway on death row.

· Registered
39 Posts
I ended up removing every bit of the interior except the dash & steering column.

I applied Dynamat sheets on almost every flat/curved metal surface.

I applied silicone sealant on all the clips/pins.

Any plastic pieces which are not seen got the silicone put on it so not only is the clips glued in place, the plastics are also glued to the metal surface as well.

I even bought cans of expanding foam and filled in all the little cavities and hollow channels (such as around the door openings and inside the rear cargo door).

I can honestly say, my Rav is now as quiet as a prison janitor cleaning up the hallway on death row.
Goodpoints, I am after noise reduction right now and have my rav4 interior disassembled except dash, doors and roof headliner. I applied Nico Deadner Mat all around except roof and behind dash, followed by egg crate foam mat bought at Walmart, followed by 1 lb/ft limp mass in doors and covered the floors, the openings in doors were filled with although old but seems usable electrical putty I already had, it was used as a silent backstop so its infused with lead enhancing its noise blocking properties (phun intended). The front components sounds much punchy already but I am not satisfied with the outside noise reduction, not looking for luxury quiet ride but still, also I have some BFG AT2, may be thats why?

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Goodpoints, I am after noise reduction right now and have my rav4 interior disassembled except dash, doors and roof headliner. I applied Nico Deadner Mat all around except roof and behind dash, followed by egg crate foam mat bought at Walmart, followed by 1 lb/ft limp mass in doors and covered the floors, the openings in doors were filled with although old but seems usable electrical putty I already had, it was used as a silent backstop so its infused with lead enhancing its noise blocking properties (phun intended). The front components sounds much punchy already but I am not satisfied with the outside noise reduction, not looking for luxury quiet ride but still, also I have some BFG AT2, may be thats why?
Hopefully you'll be satisfied with your noise reduction efforts.

I never noticed how loud the noise was inside the passenger compartment of my Rav until one day I was riding in my buddy's Rav......we were having a conversation and he kept asking why I'm talking so damn loud. Lol. I guess I just got used to raising my voice while riding in mine.

His Rav has over 300k miles on it and is super quiet. He's the one that inspired and helped me to do the sound reduction thing similar to the way he did his Rav.

His Rav also has the same A/T tires you mentioned you have on yours. I have Continental street tires which are really quiet on mine, yet his Rav is still quieter rolling on asphalt (even with those A/T tires). I asked him how to got the tires so quiet, he said he installed some soft (cheap) spring pads on all four springs, he also said he sliced rubber hose length wise and wrapped it around the length of the spring coils & glued the hose in place (kinda like insulating the coil spring, I guess, if that makes sense. He also said he drilled small holes thru the solid rubber control arm bushings to make them less ridgid.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts