Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Actual miles driven was 2868, probably 90% freeway or state highway. If the speed limit was 70, I set the cruise at 70 or 71. If it was 65, set it at 68. AC was on probably 60% of the time. Two adults and luggage for 10 days (my wife had enough for 3 weeks! :wink ) It's the Limited model.

Actual calculated mileage was 35.7 mpg. Trip computer typically read about 2.5% higher than calculated but that could vary depending on the fill.

Favorite features: radar cruise control, BSM, satellite radio
Least favorite: LDW, seats (they don't breathe so your back sweats although they are quite comfortable otherwise.)

Compared to the 2004 V6 AWD Highlander we replaced, everything about the Rav4 is an improvement except the seats. The Highlander had perforated leather seats so we didn't sweat like we did in the super smooth Rav4 seats. We do set the AC temp pretty high (77 or 78 which feels fine when it's 90 outside) so maybe a lower setting would improve things. My wife sat on a towel and commented that it reminded her of 1970s vinyl seats. My 2005 Camry has non-perforated leather seats but they have a texture so you don't stick to them.

Overall, very happy with the vehicle, especially the mileage.

·
Registered
51 Posts
When we were looking at the 2016 Rav4 our salesman mentioned the hybrid and said he had one and liked it. I called my mechanic and asked him and he said to avoid it, I did not ask him why, so we bought the standard model but I still wonder about the hybrid.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Actual miles driven was 2868, probably 90% freeway or state highway. If the speed limit was 70, I set the cruise at 70 or 71. If it was 65, set it at 68. AC was on probably 60% of the time. Two adults and luggage for 10 days (my wife had enough for 3 weeks! :wink ) It's the Limited model.

Actual calculated mileage was 35.7 mpg. Trip computer typically read about 2.5% higher than calculated but that could vary depending on the fill.

Favorite features: radar cruise control, BSM, satellite radio
Least favorite: LDW, seats (they don't breathe so your back sweats although they are quite comfortable otherwise.)

Compared to the 2004 V6 AWD Highlander we replaced, everything about the Rav4 is an improvement except the seats. The Highlander had perforated leather seats so we didn't sweat like we did in the super smooth Rav4 seats. We do set the AC temp pretty high (77 or 78 which feels fine when it's 90 outside) so maybe a lower setting would improve things. My wife sat on a towel and commented that it reminded her of 1970s vinyl seats. My 2005 Camry has non-perforated leather seats but they have a texture so you don't stick to them.

Overall, very happy with the vehicle, especially the mileage.

I tried a lot with the AC to get a comfortable temperature and so far, 75 degrees seems to be the magic number where I will not get back sweat:smile
Thought I was the only one getting that dreaded back sweat in the seats. The sets are comfortable otherwise and I can do long trips without discomfort.

·
Registered
229 Posts
When we were looking at the 2016 Rav4 our salesman mentioned the hybrid and said he had one and liked it. I called my mechanic and asked him and he said to avoid it, I did not ask him why, so we bought the standard model but I still wonder about the hybrid.

Usually mechanics are trusted, but on the topic of hybrids, I think most mechanics would prefer a traditional engine because I have heard these anti hybrid sentiments a lot from mechanics. It made me do a lot of research on Toyota's hybrid system, especially the Prius. Year after the year the Prius got very good reviews for reliability. Only negative reviews I have seen was for the recent cosmetic changes which most people do not like. I figured since this system has been rock solid that I would not look past a hybrid. I have been loving the car ever since we bought it and now considering getting another one for my wife, but she is super attached to her 2011 RAV4.:smile

·
Registered
RAV4 HV Limited, Prius Prime Advanced
2,096 Posts
Your mechanic is clueless about Toyota hybrids, as most mechanics are.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Forgot to mention that I was surprised how often the electric motor kicked in (according to the energy monitor.) Even at highway speeds, accelerating or going up a long grade would activate the electric motor, though usually only briefly. That must be how it achieves 35+ mpg on the highway.

·
Registered
84 Posts
you should have asked from the mechanic why or at least if has driven one???

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
450 Posts
Forgot to mention that I was surprised how often the electric motor kicked in (according to the energy monitor.) Even at highway speeds, accelerating or going up a long grade would activate the electric motor, though usually only briefly. That must be how it achieves 35+ mpg on the highway.
That's how Toyota designed it to aid the "Atkinson Cycle" engine. As I understand the Atkinson cycle engine is great for economy/power at higher speed and not so good for low speed and low speed torque. Coupled with the electric motors as in the Hybrid it solved each others shortcomings.

·
Registered
93 Posts
That was a mistake listening to the mechanic and not asking why. On a recent trip to NYC a large majority of taxis now are some version of a Toyota Hybrid. If not then then there's a good chance they're a Ford Hybrid.

NYC is one of the harshest driving environments in the U.S., they aren't going to put vehicles in service that aren't up to the task.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I have no complaints with my hybrid limited and I also find the imitation leather seats to be comfortable. I have heard that in deep snow, considered to be over eight inches, that the hybrid is not as reliable as the gas version but still better than front wheel drive. I guess that if I should have to venture out in a snowstorm this winter that I will find out just how good it is in the snow. But, being retired and in my early 70's, I really try to avoid that as much as I can.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Oh, no. you should have gone with the hybrid. I test drove the regular RAV in normal mode and sport mode. I think the engine isn't strong enough. The RaV4 hybrid on the other hand, is quicker on merging a ramp specially when drive in sport mode.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Oh, no. you should have gone with the hybrid. I test drove the regular RAV in normal mode and sport mode. I think the engine isn't strong enough. The RaV4 hybrid on the other hand, is quicker on merging a ramp specially when drive in sport mode.
That's exactly my take as well. The gas model is quite gutless. The hybrid, while no rocket ship, has much better torque.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I know I have surprised a few anti-hybrid folks who assumed as a hybrid, my car "should" be cut off by passing them faster than they thought it would be. And the best thing is it is still getting 34mpg in average during these 100+ degree days! :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts