Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This TSB has been out since 6-2010 and wondering if anyone with the 2.5 I-4 ( 2AR-FE ) engine had the repair done ? My 2010 Rav suffers from this dreaded start up noise which sounds horrible for about 1 second when starting cold. I am not happy with my dealer since they can't even do a proper oil change ! At oil change #1 they left the oil filter loose leaking oil all over and at #2 the filter housing had a slow leak again plus they over filled the oil by 1.5 quarts ??? I did mention the issue and the TSB to them at the last service and they replied...... oh yeah, we did a few of them. Of course I need to leave the vehicle overnight for them to hear the start up, but I am very weary about them doing any further work on my Rav ! This procedure tears a good portion of the engine apart in order to change the cam gear and I fear this will be a never ending nightmare, plus knowing they have to do this to an engine with only 10,000 miles on it just kills me. I was kind of hoping it would work itself out over time but I think it is doing further damage by not taking care of it.

Here is the TSB

T-SB-0146-10, Brief Engine Knock/Rattle Noise at Cold Startup, dtd. 6/910
2010 – 2011 Camry Engine(s): 2AR Transmission(s): 6MT, 6AT

2009 – 2010 Highlander Engine(s): 1AR Transmission(s): 6AT

2009 – 2010 RAV4 Engine(s): 2AR Transmission(s): 4AT

2009 – 2010 Venza Engine(s): 1AR Transmission(s): 6AT

Immediately following a cold soak startup, some 2009 – 2011 model year vehicles equipped with the 1AR-FE and 2AR-FE engines may exhibit a brief knock/rattle noise from the engine compartment for
approximately one second. Follow the repair procedure below to address this condition.

3.5 Hours to replace camshaft timing gears,,

This TSB applies to vehicles produced BEFORE the Production Change Effective VINs shown below.

Camry:
TMMK 4T1BF3EK#BU123642
SIA 4T4BF3EK#BR090887
Tsutsumi JTNBF3EK#A3005237

·
Registered
185 Posts
I am now having this issue.... 14,000+ miles and I took my RAV in so the dealer can "hear" the problem. They "need" to record the sound for Toyota......
I'll have them do in next week.
Thanks R4D for posting this.

Yuma,

09/09/11 Dropped my RAV off for this service.....
Will know next week..

·
Registered
185 Posts
My RAV has now been in the dealership since Thursday late afternoon. They had to order some more parts for this TSB... :wall
This will be the second set of parts....

By the way, this is not just a "Cold" start issue as it never really gets cold here....;)

Yuma,

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
My RAV has now been in the dealership since Thursday late afternoon. They had to order some more parts for this TSB... :wall
This will be the second set of parts....

By the way, this is not just a "Cold" start issue as it never really gets cold here....;)

Yuma,
"Cold" to an engine is below 160 degrees.

·
Registered
185 Posts
"Cold" to an engine is below 160 degrees.
Yes, that's why I put the Smiley Face....

But, if this is happening in my warm temps.... What's going to happen in 0°f weather? :shrug:

By the way, my RAV4 has now been in the shp for 7 1/2 working days for this problem (after they received the parts "needed" to fix it).

Yuma,

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I had similar issue when I have the 8th Gen Honda accord i4. Cold rattle noise. It's hard to diagnose the problem. The noise happen randomly. It's very noticeable when you left the car sitting for a week or so. I wound up trading my 08 accord in at 30k. Your best bet is to get the start up problem recorded and show it to the service manager.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Still getting this at start up and trying to figure out when and if I want this TSB done. Few have posted that they where having the cam gears changed but never re post with the results :(.....hate that !!! I just hope the reason for not following up is because the repair was successful ?

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,614 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the update Yuma, and thank you for posting the full TSB proceedure. Wow ! looks like they really dig deep in there for this fix. I have been getting the grind about 1 out of every 5 cold starts, but happens even more as it gets colder outside. Been trying to catch it on video and of course the past three starts have been fine....lol.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,614 Posts

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Unbelieveable. Any difference with people running 0-20 vs 5-20?

Wonder if this is an 0-20 thing? Seems to affect quite a few models. I wonder if the new gears are redesigned to hold lubrication better after shutdown?

I don't want someone ripping apart the top of my 2.5. What the hell is going on with Toyota?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Glidescope - No difference in oil type or viscosity. This started within the first 5000 miles after my July 2010 purchase. I had 0 - 20 synthetic put in as suggested by the dealer and made no difference, at 10,000 I went back to 5 -20 Dyno and no change. Being a Mobil 1 fan I recently did an oil change myself adding M-1 5 - 20 and still no change ?
I have been holding off because it kills me knowing how invasive this procedure is. After seeing the TSB and the photo with an adjustable wrench holding back on the cam as they pry the intake gear off just killed me ! I have friends and family that work for dealerships and the goal is to get in and get out, eliminating some of the steps in procedures like these ( to gain time ). I might be a bit over judgmental and hope I am wrong, but I went with Toyota for reliability and longevity and not to start having major engine work done in it's first year. This VVT / cam gear has been an issue for many years in many engines and models ( see the other Toyota and Lexus forums ), you think they would have got it right by now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Cold Start Grind

I had this TSB done, and then it had to go back for a check engine light thereafter. I posted the service diagnosis from the dealer on both trips

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Diagnosis confirmed, parts on order and will schedule to have the repair done next week. It's a real pity that they have to rip apart my Rav's engine with only 18000 miles on it, but I just couldn't stand listening to that grinding morning start any longer. I hope Toyota techs are as good as they say and they do the right thing. I will keep posting with a progress report and follow ups for those of you with this same issue.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dropped off the RAV yesterday for the big job. It was supposed to be done today but they would like to keep it another day to make sure no leaks are present, they also mentioned the oil pan was removed ??? I am really nervous now since I do not see anything about the oil pan being removed in the TSB procedure. I know I am over reacting and should chill, but it just sickens me that this NEW engine has to be torn apart like this and hope I don't have a future of leaks due to this.
Will update when I get it back.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Dropped off the RAV yesterday for the big job. It was supposed to be done today but they would like to keep it another day to make sure no leaks are present, they also mentioned the oil pan was removed ??? I am really nervous now since I do not see anything about the oil pan being removed in the TSB procedure. I know I am over reacting and should chill, but it just sickens me that this NEW engine has to be torn apart like this and hope I don't have a future of leaks due to this.
Will update when I get it back.
Sounds like they dropped something and it fell into the pan requiring them to remove it to retrieve it. At least they didn't just leave it there!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sounds like they dropped something and it fell into the pan requiring them to remove it to retrieve it. At least they didn't just leave it there!

That's what I was thinking, also thought maybe the Cam gear was in bad shape and figured they should clean out the pan ???

1 - 20 of 45 Posts