Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Update -

I picked up the RAV 4 and 100 yards out of the dealer the check engine / traction control lights came on ? I did a U-turn and took her right back. They did a diagnosis and tell me the whole thing needs to be taken apart again because the timing is off. I am so disgusted and so so so sorry I bought a Toyota. I sold my Jeep because I was tired of making trips to the dealer to have the engine ripped apart repeatedly and here I am in the same position with this hunk a junk !!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Interesting...

I got a 2009 rav 4 with 134 000. It was -10 (c) today and I haven't heard the noise. My car was in the affected VIN range and didn't have the TSB performed. It was built in Japan. I wonder why it is only affecting certain cars?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Update -

I got a call this morning and they tell me the cam gear they put in was bad and have to order a new one ???????......Might be ready on Friday ?

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,614 Posts
Update -

I got a call this morning and they tell me the cam gear they put in was bad and have to order a new one ???????......Might be ready on Friday ?
Hmmm...was it really defective or did they screw it up? We'll probably never know.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Hmmm...was it really defective or did they screw it up? We'll probably never know.

That's what I was thinking ? I just called to speak with the service advisor and he even went as far as saying they had a Toyota Rep their today looking at it. The diagnosis was that the new Cam gear was not responding to the oil pressure changes causing improper timing, ( VVTi malfunction ). But guess we will never really know ?

Some advise......
Anyone experiencing the conditions of this TSB..............SELL YOUR RAV4 ASAP !!!
I will be trading mine as soon as I get it back !

·
Registered
185 Posts
Update -

Same thing happened when I had mine done! :shrug:
Although the dealer caught the problem before I got her back. :eek:

I have not had problems since... (So far :thumbs_up: )

Yuma,

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thanks Yuma, I have read about this in many posts including your experience and a few others on the Lexus and TD forums. I am wondering how the first New cam gear fails on many who have had this done ? I went into this knowing I probably would have the same experience but was kind of hoping Toyota would have this straightened out by now. This has been a major problem for Toyota and a TSB would not have been generated if it where not, what I don't understand is why their technicians can't get it right THE FIRST TIME ! Specially since this TSB has been in place for so many years ?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Okay, got my RAV4 back in one piece. I actually got to talk to the tech who did the job and I said to him.....what happened ? He told me the first cam gear stayed locked and never released during rpm changes causing the miss timing issue, probably a defect ??? I asked him why the oil pan had to come off ? He actually admitted dropping a cotter pin down into the pan and had to remove it to retrieve. I thanked him for being honest and actually digging in there to get it. I drove about 60 miles and so far so good, they did do an ultra clean job considering how much had to come off the engine but in my mind the poor Rav has band aides all over it. I just hope this actually fixes the issue once and for all ( New gear assembly # 13050-0V011 ) installed ? I will continue to monitor and update my start ups.

Thanks for all the info and feedback, and sharing my frustrations.....LOL !

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Start ups have been somewhat quiet so far with your normal cold start clatter, but that gear grinding sound has not returned.
But sadly I was smelling some oil burn off and sure enough I found a small leak in the valve cover gasket !!!...........URRRGH !!!
Not supposed to be experiencing this with a 1 year old vehicle...........I am so so disgusted and this has soured my vision of what Toyota was supposed to be. The engine will be coming apart for the third time and Toyota executives will be hearing from me !!!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
5 days and 400 miles later - THE NOISE IS BACK !!!

I'm really not sure where to go at this point ? This horrible sound can't be good for the long term life of the engine and Toyota can't seem to get this one right ! I really love the RAV and do not like any other small SUV's.....Yes I have been shopping. Do I go back to the same dealership and have them tear it apart again ? Do I try another dealership miles away ? Do I contact Toyota Corporate about it ?

·
Registered
185 Posts
5 days and 400 miles later - THE NOISE IS BACK !!!
I'm really not sure where to go at this point ?
Mine has about 1,000 miles on the repair and no noise,,, Sorry to here yours is back :oops::eek:

So, I think that Toyota can get it right....just it takes a couple/few tries??? :wall
I would take it back to the same dealer and I would call Toyota too, my two cents. :(

Good Luck,

Yuma,

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Went back to the dealer today to show them the 4 leaking rear valve cover bolts. The service tech says oh no big deal - we will just take it in back and re-torque the bolts. I didn't even mention that the grinding noise still exists due to my fear of them touching the internals again. They had my Rav for about 20 minutes and when they returned it to me the tech said they just cranked down on the bolts with no torque wrench to try and stop the leaks, and if it don't stop leaking to come back again !
I just grabbed my keys and left in disgust ! First..........you never touch a bolt on an aluminum engine when it's HOT !!!.......And without a torque wrench ???
Of course it's still leaking, maybe a little slower but still leaking. I now own a brand new, oil leaking, noise grinding piece of junk thanks to these incompetent idiots.
I guess I will have to try another dealership and go through this all over again ?

·
Registered
21 Posts
You should call the dealership, ask to speak to the district manager. If they don't give you the guy's name then call Toyota Corporate!

I wonder if there were a bad batch of Cam Gears that slipped into production? My rav5 has 136 000 KM and it started fine today in -20 celcius (-4 faranheit) and it didn't have any gear replaced....

Went back to the dealer today to show them the 4 leaking rear valve cover bolts. The service tech says oh no big deal - we will just take it in back and re-torque the bolts. I didn't even mention that the grinding noise still exists due to my fear of them touching the internals again. They had my Rav for about 20 minutes and when they returned it to me the tech said they just cranked down on the bolts with no torque wrench to try and stop the leaks, and if it don't stop leaking to come back again !
I just grabbed my keys and left in disgust ! First..........you never touch a bolt on an aluminum engine when it's HOT !!!.......And without a torque wrench ???
Of course it's still leaking, maybe a little slower but still leaking. I now own a brand new, oil leaking, noise grinding piece of junk thanks to these incompetent idiots.
I guess I will have to try another dealership and go through this all over again ?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #35

·
Registered
201 Posts
That's a lot of crud! I presume those are carbon chunks? Makes me wonder if they have partly clogged your oil control valves (for VVT camshaft timing). Maybe that's been the problem all along?

By the way, there is a tech tip out, "Watch for leaks in oil pan of 09-10 2AR and report findings to Corporate." Might be why they pulled your pan. But it is disappointing -- how can you get something as simple as the oil pan wrong?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I will be visiting another Toyota dealership in my area today. Some friends and coworkers recommend their services, so I figure it might be worth a shot to speak with their service manager for some advise on where to go with this. I'm sure I will be calling headquarters by this afternoon ?
My concerns will be......

- The problem was never corrected and was the job done right ?
- The valve cover is leaking and they never torqued it correctly ? ( used old gaskets for second timing gear ).
- What is with all the metal and junk in the oil and filter ?
- What is the longevity of this engine with whats going on inside ?

At this point my wife would like me to trade the car in and get a Honda or Hyundai, but I really love the RAV4 design and ride and says I'm a moron for even thinking of another Toyota product. I would also be looking at a 6 to 7 thousand dollar loss !

Thank you all for letting me vent here !!!

·
Registered
201 Posts
What are Lemon Laws like in NY? Might you be at that point?

Don't go Hyundai. I have a hybrid tech friend that just moved from a Toyota to a Hyundai dealer. He says build quality is crap and the money is better because he has so much more work.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Don't go Hyundai. I have a hybrid tech friend that just moved from a Toyota to a Hyundai dealer. He says build quality is crap.
I own a RAV4 and a Hyundai BOTH are equal in my personal experience.
I had an Elantra go for over 100,000 miles with just normal wear & tear. :shrug:
So Hyundai is not a bad car.

As for Drummer's problem; that will have to be a personal decision :eek:

I had the same TSB done and I had only a third of the issues. I do believe that Toyota had gotten some BAD gears...:( Mine was replaced twice, too.

Yuma,

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
Just got off the phone with Toyota corporate and opened a case regarding the issues with the TSB and the workmanship quality of the dealership I used........waiting for a call back from a case manager?
They seem very true and willing to work with me but are really pushing to have the original dealership try to correct the problem. I kept explaining how unprofessional and horrifying their work has been from the very beginning ( dropping things into oil pan, wrong alignment on timing chain the first time, leaking gaskets, etc.... ). They said they would like them to do it and monitor them closer to see if something is wrong at this establishment. I understand Toyota needs to follow up on these cases and keep their dealers in line but I don't wish them to use my vehicle as a test, enough damage has already been done to my vehicle by this dealership !
I was asked what would make me happy ??? All I wish for is to have this problem corrected the right way with no leaking gaskets and parts falling into the oil pan. I also want the reassurance that my engine is not on it's way out due to the clumps of metal found in the oil filter.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts