Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone - Does anyone know if the 2AR-FE (2009+ 2.5 I4 engine) has a coolant drain on the engine block? Or is it situated near the water pump/thermostat?

I searched the forum, but I'm seeing conflicting information. Any information or pictures will be greatly appreciated.

I'm planning on a drain and fill with Toyota's pre-mixed pink coolant. I'd like to drain from engine block also (in addition to the radiator), if possible. Hence the question.

Appreciate any information!

·
Super Moderator
11,109 Posts
Reactions: RAV4Rave

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Yeah, I too saw conflicting information from my research on Google.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
There was one for the 2008 models (and earlier) but for 2009 onwards not sure. Check if there is one near the front of the oil pan next to the exhaust manifold.

·
Registered
4 Posts
After scouring this forum (and others) plus looking everywhere on my 2011 I-4 I've concluded there is no block drain. Others have said the drain was eliminated on the 2.5 engine starting in 2009+. FYI, it drains surprisingly well, very little coolant remained in the block when I did it recently. Easy job, just have extra black clips/fasteners for the black plastic drip pan/cover, they break easily (if you want to put it back on).

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After scouring this forum (and others) plus looking everywhere on my 2011 I-4 I've concluded there is no block drain. Others have said the drain was eliminated on the 2.5 engine starting in 2009+. FYI, it drains surprisingly well, very little coolant remained in the block when I did it recently. Easy job, just have extra black clips/fasteners for the black plastic drip pan/cover, they break easily (if you want to put it back on).
Thanks for the info. How much coolant did you need for the job?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I've done 2 drain and refills. I checked and couldn't find a block drain, or any other valve other than the one at the bottom of the radiator, and have seen docs like RTexasF posted. Luckily the one on the lower radiator (driver side) is easy to use, especially if you attach a short piece of hose to direct the flow. I drained and measured only 4.2 quarts (out of the 7.2-qt capacity) the first time, then repeated 2 years later with 4 quarts just to use one jug.

This done in advance of the 100k-mile / 120-month maintenance schedule for coolant change. I figured the repeat drain and refills spread out over a coupleof years should be sufficient to exceed the spec.

Reactions: RAV4Rave

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did the coolant drain and fill today. I could only drain 1 gallon though. Attached a 3/8'' clear tube to the drain in order to reduce the amount of mess. Thanks everyone for the inputs!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm also looking for the cylinder block drain plug on an 09 2.5 to no avail; I already drained from the regular radiator drain plug and even pulled thermostat for a total of + - 1.25 gallons. I was under the impression that the total capacity is around 7.2 quarts...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts