Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got a oil leak/ drip coming from bottom of flywheel inspection plate on my 2007 rav4 v6. i suspect the real main seal is leaking, since after inspection i did not see any oil leaks coming from head gasket or valve cover. i found procedures to replace it, but cannot tell if the transmissoin housing can be unbolted and removed or if the whole engine+transmission and sub assembly have to be removed to get to the rear main seal. anyone replace a rear main seal on the 2GR-FE V6 engine or know if it can be replaced with transmission removal only?

·
Super Moderator
10,133 Posts
I've never heard of a V6 needing a rear main seal so I'd be absolutely sure it's bad before proceeding. Several member have had their transmissions replaced due to the whine problem so they may know if the engine was removed to do the work. My guess, and only a guess, is no.

Reactions: 1 person

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've never heard of a V6 needing a rear main seal so I'd be absolutely sure it's bad before proceeding. Several member have had their transmissions replaced due to the whine problem so they may know if the engine was removed to do the work. My guess, and only a guess, is no.
i cannot think of any other gasket or seal that might be leaking, since the oil leak is seeping through the flywheel inspection plate and the bottom end of transmission housing mating to the engine block

·
Super Moderator
10,133 Posts
How about getting a professional opinion from a mechanic?
As I recall he hasn't driven this RAV4 yet. :shrug: Just complains about oil coming out various places. :doh: None of which I've ever heard of before on a 3.5L V6.

·
Super Moderator
11,102 Posts
Oh yeah that guy. I'll pass on this one, thanks for the reminder.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hello people. Just got off the phone with the Toyota dealer and they say that my rear main seal is the source of my leak. Yes, it is engine oil coming out - I visually confirmed that. I too have NEVER heard of such a thing on the 3.5 liter engine, and I never had a problem with my 2006 either.

So, history...had the transaxle replaced last year just before my vehicle went out of warranty. Yes, solved that darn whining problem and I loved it. Then the trans started leaking. Back to dealer...had to replace the seal, and of course pull the transaxle off again. The dealer said that the seal was defective from the factory. Fine. Solved it...until I spotted another leak. This time it was the left front axle seal which the dealer said had been nicked during the transaxle reinstall. Ok, fine. Fixed that under warranty.

So, is there any possibility that anyone knows of that somehow, someway, the rear main seal could have been damaged by the transaxle replacements? I don’t see how, but am willing to hear anyone’s thoughts.

Yeah, a $50 part that takes 18.5 book hours to complete. Have to pull the engine and the transaxle. Joy. Anyways, thanks for any input. RAV has 71,000 miles on it and it has been well taken care of and always garaged (not that that matters!). $2000 repair.
Steven

·
Registered
130 Posts
O.k. I will ask this question instead of "hiding" one in a post:

Does anyone know if the rear main engine seal has a cover over it - so that when the transmission is pulled - the rear main seal is protected?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts