Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought someone would like to see this. Looks good even after a 9,000 mile OCI.
Not shown, I've been using the FRAM (yes really) XG9972 ultra filter. It is actually a well built filter. And can be had for $7 on Amazon to boot. I switch between this and the Napa Gold (wix) if I forget to order ahead of time.

For people that can't/won't see attached, on a 154K mile engine and 9000 mile OCI on Mobil 1 5w/30, TBN is still very good, and very little metals. One of the best blackstone has seen on this engine.

Attachments

·
Registered
166 Posts
Good Stuff. I use Blackstone for my diesel truck and am just about to use them for the first time for our new-to-us RAV.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Oil Analysis for V6 Engine & Recommended Oil Change Interval

I thought I'd revisit this thread and share the findings for my 2001 V6 RAV4 with 133,333 kms. (82,849 mi.) on it. I now have three Blackstone oil analysis reports at OCI (oil change intervals) of 7,666 km. (4,763 mi.), 10,524 kms. (6,539 mi.) and 11,394 kms. (7,079 mi.). The most recent report stated "You might have to keep looking for the ceiling on this engine's maximum OCI because this isn't it. (referring to the 11,394 kms/7,079 mi. between oil changes)

Like bloodytosser, my oil's analysis shows it to be in great shape even after 11,394 kms. (7,079 mi.) and my numbers beat the universal numbers provided by Blackstone pretty much across the board. For oil, I am using Toyota genuine 5w-30 dino with their OEM filter cartridge. I do have 1 change using Delvac 5w-30 dino but no oil analysis yet on that oil.

As a coincidence, the new Service Advisor at one of the local Toyota dealerships happens to be an acquaintance of ours. When I asked her to have the tech take a mid-stream oil sample, she asked why and I explained I am trying to find the maximum safe OCI using oil analysis. She said the OCI for the new 2018 RAV4s (4 cyl) using 5w-20 synthetic oil is now up to 16,000 kms. (about 10,000 mi.) She hastily added Toyota still recommends a service visit every 8,000 km (5,000 mi.) ... I bet they do so they can charge me $45 for that $11 cabin filter!

So for my next OCI on my 6 cylinder, I'm going to push my OCI to 14,000 kms. with a goal to see if I can get it safely to 16,000 km. or thereabouts. I'll double back and report again to let you know if I achieved this goal.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I haven't used Blackstone for quite a few years. Last samples I sent in were for an '01 Ford Windstar (which never had any real issues with) in 2012 and when I rode motorcycles. I may send in a sample for my Rav when it's time to change the oil again using OEM filter and Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic. Occasional oil analysis is always good to determine the health on an engine. We do regular oil sample analysis on the engines at our plant (Caterpillar V12 turbos).

·
Super Moderator
11,133 Posts
That is an excellent UOA. Actually it's awesome considering the miles on the engine. Kudos to you, Mobil 1, and good filtration.

I can't believe it took me three years to see it! :doh:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts