Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Did any one run 0W-20 in 2GR-FE (V6). I have 2008 V6 Sport, I know the manual and the oil cap calls for 5W-30. I live in very cold climate in Canada (it goes below -20 in winter), therefore thinking to switch to 0W-20 but not sure if this will harm the engine (specially engine seals)?
I found Toyota Tech Tip (attached), but it does not qualify my year of RAV4 for 0W-20! Though the newer 2GR-FEs are qualified for it!

Attachments

·
Registered
403 Posts
I would follow the manufacturers recommended weight. They must have a reason for it.:smile

·
Registered
312 Posts
The 0W20 will be fine in your vehicle. The only downside will be that it may burn oil as the engine warms up from cold starts because the 0 weight is a very thin viscosity... The up side is that it can be pumped quicker at -30 celcius so your engine will like that. The downside again to the 20 weight is that if your engine ever gets really hot or overheats, the 20 weight won't protect as well as the 30 weight will.

If you run synthetic 5W30, you should be fine for even in the coldest Canadian temps! :)

Reactions: ayaz99

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Best to stick with 5W-30 synthetic (for winter) since that V6 engine heats up very quickly I noticed. The only time the 0W-20 has the advantage is during startup. Since Alberta has brutal winters you should be using a remote starter and letting the engine warm up. Don't take a chance especially on an expensive engine.

·
Super Moderator
11,099 Posts
I would use it in your conditions without a second thought. Why would it be approved for a Camry and other vehicles with the 3.5l but not the RAV4? Towing in the summer? For that I'd stick with 5W30, your situation is different.

Keep in mind that 0W30 would work as well.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Around 2009-2010 years, almost all Toyota engines passed from 5W20/5W30 to 0W20.

I use 0W20 in all my Toyota vehicles since five years, and do the oïl change at 10,000 km intervals.

My wife's 2005 Matrix is at 272,000 km... and my 2001 RAV4 is at 260,000 km. They each burn about 0.5L on 10,000 km.

When I bought my RAV4 at 230,000 km, it was smoking very blue at cold start. After about 1 month with Gulf 0W20, it never smoked again.

Where I live, we often see -30 -35 celsius during winter. We never had any problem starting even if we don't have block heaters.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Around 2009-2010 years, almost all Toyota engines passed from 5W20/5W30 to 0W20.

I use 0W20 in all my Toyota vehicles since five years, and do the oïl change at 10,000 km intervals.

My wife's 2005 Matrix is at 272,000 km... and my 2001 RAV4 is at 260,000 km. They each burn about 0.5L on 10,000 km.

When I bought my RAV4 at 230,000 km, it was smoking very blue at cold start. After about 1 month with Gulf 0W20, it never smoked again.

Where I live, we often see -30 -35 celsius during winter. We never had any problem starting even if we don't have block heaters.
You have a 01 RAV4 but the OP has a 08 RAV4 V6 which only recommends 5W-30. It would be more assuring if someone can vouch for a V6 using 0W-20 experience over a long term period without problems. There must be a reason Toyota did this maybe higher oil consumption or inadequate lubrication?

·
Registered
481 Posts
You have a 01 RAV4 but the OP has a 08 RAV4 V6 which only recommends 5W-30. It would be more assuring if someone can vouch for a V6 using 0W-20 experience over a long term period without problems. There must be a reason Toyota did this maybe higher oil consumption or inadequate lubrication?

I just saw on the PDF that only the RAV4 (with 2GR-FE) is not recommended with 0W20. All other 2GR-FE vehicles (Avalon, Camry, Venza, Sienna) are 0W20 approved. May-be the only factor is the ''towing potential'' of the RAV4.

For winter use, personally I would not be afraid at all to run it with 0W20.

·
Registered
641 Posts
My dealer oil change invoices sometimes come back with 0W20 instead of 5W30 so it all depends on the tech doing the job.

I noticed the engine seems quieter when 0W20 is in it but that could be just my imagination. The typical -10c to +10c band winter temperature in my locale doesn't really warrants the better cold flow property of 0W20 though. As long as the winter temperature is not in the 20c+ range I think the 0W20 would be fine - if you're not towing.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I'm 2 hours S/W of Toronto, so similar to Alberta, it gets cold here.
- I will only use 5w-30 synthetic and cold engine starts are easy
- winter startup, will causes the most engine wear...if conventional oil gets thick, over night
- using one of the best oil & filter, my oil change freq. is now 10,000 Km
- even saving money, using premium supplies
- and the used oil, still has retained half of its like new/honey color / on wife's '08 Limited v6
I see zero advantage to an 0w-20 switch, unless one is using cheap Dino oil.

Attachments

·
Registered
641 Posts
The lubrication aspect of dino and synthetic oil is essentially the same for the same rating, as determined by the conforming wear specs declared on the oil jug. As long as you're using oil that meets or exceeds factory wear specs you're getting the wear protection the engine required. I would think oil thickened in cold temperature is less likely to slips off of the metal surface it was lubricating? Wears is not an issue but overcoming the 'molasses' resistance is.

Going 0W20 (Toyota brand is semi-synthetic I think) or 5W30 synthetic oil route is basically an attempt to address easier starting at low temperature, not necessarily better engine wears protection.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for your feedback. Based on the discussion, I am going to stick a quality 5w-30 synthetic (Mobile1), my RAV4 (and the engine) is still in good shape, I want to keep it that way for longer period.
Here is the response I got from Toyota USA, when asked the same question:
------------------------------------------------QUESTION-----------------------
Hello,
I live in very cold climate in the North. I have 2008 RAV4 V6 Sport (Engine 2GR-FE), which calls for 5W-30 engine oil.
Can I run Toyota 0W-20 synthetic engine oil instead with the oil change frequency to one year?
Thanks,
XYZ

--------------------ANSWER FROM TOYOTA---------------------------
Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.

Toyota recommends the use of 5W-20 or 0W-20 viscosity oil for installation in your vehicle.

If you have a different viscosity oil in your engine, just have it replaced with the correct viscosity at your next oil change. It will not harm your engine but you may get lower fuel economy as the oil is not as viscous as the 20 weight oils.

Your email has been documented at our National Headquarters. If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact_us.

Sincerely,

Terry D.
Toyota Customer Experience Center
Customer By Web Form (Mr. XYZ) 09/01/2017 09:19 AM

·
Super Moderator
11,099 Posts
I see zero advantage to an 0w-20 switch, unless one is using cheap Dino oil.
0W20 is either full synthetic or a synthetic blend.

Going 0W20 (Toyota brand is semi-synthetic I think) or 5W30 synthetic oil route is basically an attempt to address easier starting at low temperature, not necessarily better engine wears protection.
Toyota brand 0W20 is full synthetic.

·
Super Moderator
11,099 Posts
Thanks for your feedback. Based on the discussion, I am going to stick a quality 5w-30 synthetic (Mobile1), my RAV4 (and the engine) is still in good shape, I want to keep it that way for longer period.
Here is the response I got from Toyota USA, when asked the same question:
------------------------------------------------QUESTION-----------------------
Hello,
I live in very cold climate in the North. I have 2008 RAV4 V6 Sport (Engine 2GR-FE), which calls for 5W-30 engine oil.
Can I run Toyota 0W-20 synthetic engine oil instead with the oil change frequency to one year?
Thanks,
XYZ

--------------------ANSWER FROM TOYOTA---------------------------
Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.

Toyota recommends the use of 5W-20 or 0W-20 viscosity oil for installation in your vehicle.

If you have a different viscosity oil in your engine, just have it replaced with the correct viscosity at your next oil change. It will not harm your engine but you may get lower fuel economy as the oil is not as viscous as the 20 weight oils.

Your email has been documented at our National Headquarters. If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact_us.

Sincerely,

Terry D.
Toyota Customer Experience Center
Customer By Web Form (Mr. XYZ) 09/01/2017 09:19 AM
That is the most conflicting answer ever!!!

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
This guy Terry must be the same one in charge of putting the label on the tranny dip stick tube that say you do not normally need to change the transmission fluid ever.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I believe our 2GR-FE engines can run 0w-20 just fine, in fact my Toyota dealership here put that in my 2012 V6 after I got my first oil change there and I only just recently changed my own oil with 5w-30 Extended Performance Mobil 1 however. So I ran that through Winter and Summer here. Engine actually felt more "free" with it in I thought.

I'm not certain about your cold temps as I'm not accustomed to them, but I believe 0w-20 is technically only possible in synthetic format and will maintain it's characteristics in extremes because of this. Toyota uses 0w-20 mostly for fuel economy I believe, and they've backwards certified other 2GR-FE vehicles with it to ensure it's ok to use (as we can see in the charts). However, I believe they don't approve it in our RAV4s because we don't have an oil cooler and/or because of potential towing. The same 2GR-FE and transmission setup in common year Highlanders for example are approved for 0w-20 despite the same drivetrain and more vehicle weight because of a factory oil cooler it seems.

·
Super Moderator
11,099 Posts
I'm not certain about your cold temps as I'm not accustomed to them, but I believe 0w-20 is technically only possible in synthetic format and will maintain it's characteristics in extremes because of this.
Once again 0W20 can be a blend or a full synthetic:

Pennzoil Gold™
Pennzoil Gold™ is a synthetic blend motor oil with a combination of high-quality conventional base oil, synthetic base oil, and additives. It provides better protection than conventional oil in severe driving conditions like stop-and-go driving, frequent short trips, extreme temperatures and idling and towing.

The blend is also available in many other brands including Honda, Motorcraft, Castrol and others.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts