Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
I'm not surprised that Arlington Toyota is the dealer that refused to do anything because that's how they were when I brought up the issue of the proper transmission replacement due to the whine. The service manager, Steve, is an a-hole, while the service rep tried to do his best to help me out.

Anyway, good information, will have to keep an eye out on the hose since it had be replaced.

·
Banned
2,669 Posts
I was interested to know the technical explanation behind the VVTi oil line failure. Here is an excerpt from Toyota Canada's response:

"Toyota has determined that on affected vehicles, the rubber portion of the engine oil supply hose for the VVT-I actuator on the cylinder head may develop a small crack due to the use of improper rubber material. These cracks can develop inside the oil hose from exposure to small amounts of corrosive components in positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) gases. If the vehicle is continuously operated in this condition, the crack in the hose may expand as a result of the oil pressure and engine oil may leak from the oil hose which can eventually cause damage to the vehicles engine."

I don't see why the new and properly designed hose (using the proper rubber) would give any problems. I agree, the metal hose is probably a fool proof solution, but having said that, there are many rubber hoses used in all makes and models of vehicles on the road today without issue. In this particular instance, some Toyota engineer/supplier/ or whomever spec'd the wrong type of rubber for the job....leading to a costly mistake.
I speculated back in the original oil line thread couple of years ago that the AT OIL on the old hose is for ATF fluid and not good enough for engine oil contaminated with gasoline and combustion byproducts.

While the new hose should be better, metal is the best.

I would not be surprised if some people got the hose repaired with old hose design, especially prior to the recall.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Update: Great response from President of Arlington Toyota

That's a nicely written letter! Hopefully it will get the attention of the right person.
I'm not surprised that Arlington Toyota is the dealer that refused to do anything because that's how they were when I brought up the issue of the proper transmission replacement due to the whine. The service manager, Steve, is an a-hole, while the service rep tried to do his best to help me out.

Anyway, good information, will have to keep an eye out on the hose since it had be replaced.
Within about an hour after the letter was sent by email, the dealer president emailed the owner back with a fantastic response indicating the oil line failure would be thoroughly investigated and that a case for out of warranty repair had been established with Toyota Motor Sales, Inc.

Shortly thereafter, service director Steve sends her an email telling her to bring the car in and they would work with Toyota on her behalf. Vehicle was towed back in on January 18 so now it's up to Toyota. Repairs were approved by Toyota as of 1-23-2012; now only open issue is the refund of the original $700 charge for repairs and the bills for towing.

·
Your Humble Administrator
16,447 Posts
Within about an hour after the letter was sent by email, the dealer president emailed the owner back with a fantastic response indicating the oil line failure would be thoroughly investigated and that a case for out of warranty repair had been established with Toyota Motor Sales, Inc.

Shortly thereafter, service director Steve sends her an email telling her to bring the car in and they would work with Toyota on her behalf. Vehicle was towed back in on January 18 so now it's up to Toyota.
Wow, that's awesome! I really hope they do the right thing this time!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Sure, but it only applies to the V-6 engine:

Old setup with metal/rubber line:

New setup with all metal line:

Great pics, I was un aware of this issue. Does anyone know what's the part# for the metal pipe line. I'd like to tackle this myself.
Thnx in advance.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Great pics, I was un aware of this issue. Does anyone know what's the part# for the metal pipe line. I'd like to tackle this myself.
Thnx in advance.
That info is mixed into the giant thread on the topic:
http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20014&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=1

This is guide to a subset some of the posts on the long thread. See these posts on that thread, and then take a look at your car:

Post 23 has a TSB for the Avilon with the same engine. That technical service bulletin is not a recall, but identifies a spot to check when looking for an engine oil leak. In the event of a leak, it does not specify that the replacement part differs from the original. http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20014&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=22

Page 4 Post #50 shows the older rubber oil hose http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20014&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=49

Page 3 Post #36 shows the new hose with engine cover off, and Post 39 show newer metal tube with cover still in place. http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20014&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=35

Page 5 Post: #82 says the new part is "installed in all of the RAV4s Limited V6s on 04/2008 and later is metal and the part number is 15772-31030. That date would seem to apply to build dates ofq Base and Sport too, based on later posts.

Page 9 Post: #134 has good info including a nice parts comparison out of the car. http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20014&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=133

Post #336 endorses post 134 and adds some tips for doing the change.

15772-31030 is the all metal tube. Post #82 was first with that number. It was confirmed in other postings including #228. Post 82 stated # 15707-31030 is a part number with the rubber connection. Some posts have stated that # 15707-31030 will be installed when repairing earlier vehicles. RPM, confirmed by Xairmech, states that the upper banjo gaskets P/N is 90430-16012, 2 are required . The lower one piece gasket P/N is 90430-16016. RUV4 in post #317 pointed out that you can use a second one piece lower gasket (PN 90430-16016) on top instead of the two 90430-16012 gaskets.

Page 26 Post #380 posts "Limited Service Campaign to replace the VVT-i oil hose on certain 05-06 Avalons and 06 RAV4s with one that also has a rubber section.
Page 26 Post #382 posts a link to a PDF about that campaign.

04009-33131 is the kit to replace the rubber section with a better rubber section. It includes the improved rubber section and new clips. It appeared in the 2006 Limited Service Campaign document, a link to which was posted to the big thread in post 382 and post 388 quoted that number and the other text from the document. http://www.rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20014&start=381 The document also had information to apply for reimbursement for those who " have previously paid for the replacement of this VVT-i oil hose for this specific condition".

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
End of this Rav4 story is great. But there is another one

After appealing to the President of Arlington Toyota with positive response, Toyota picked up the tab for all repairs which essentially amounted to a new engine. Parts replaced include new short block, cam assembly, gear assembly, & water pump. Arlington is also throwing in some brake work as a goodwill gesture.

A new case just like this one just arose on a 2008 Highlander a few days ago. Fortunatelly, the owner took pictures before his vehicle was towed to the dealer. It is very obvious the recall service was not performed as despite what the service receipt said.

Warning! 2008 highlander oil leak - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

Thanks JuneBug (& KMonster) for posting the picture that showed the yellow line on the correct LSC 90K part. Now the rest of us can tell if the recall was done correctly, if at all. The above noted 2008 Hihglander clearly did not have the correct part. Thank goodness mine was done correctly - it was so easy to snap the picture of mine

http://s586.photobucket.com/albums/ss303/Pablo0767/?action=view&current=OilLineLSC90K.jpg

·
16,447 Posts
Great work Paul! I think the original owner is very grateful that you went to bat for her on this case. Let's hope Arlington Toyota learns a valuable lesson from all this.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey June Bug...I got sick of looking at bad used Ravs. Bit the bullet and bought a 2011 leftover. It's a V6 Sport in Grey with Fwd. I figured spend the extra $ and not get into someone else's problems. Had it a week or so....I notice a slight tick in the motor...maybe it's normal for these V6's. Sounds like a lifter to me though. Hoping it turns out to be nothing. My friend has an FJ Cruiser with a similar tick. He's a mechanic and says he's not too worried because some other FJ's sound the same. Thank you for helping me in the beginning. Glad to be a Rav owner.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Wow my mom has a newer Venza with 44,000 miles and I am pretty sure its the very same 2GR-FE, I will have to go look at it the oil line in the morning and sort of expect to see rubber.

·
16,447 Posts
Wow my mom has a newer Venza with 44,000 miles and I am pretty sure its the very same 2GR-FE, I will have to go look at it the oil line in the morning and sort of expect to see rubber.
Don't worry, the Venza didn't appear well after until after the oil line was changed to all metal in April of 2008.

·
16,447 Posts
Here are some pictures of the old and new oil pipe design:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just had a failure of this hose, it is the original hose on a 2007 Toyota Rav 4 V6. I cannot believe this happened. I have over 100,000 miles and the vehicle has been wonderful up to this point.

I worked the night of 1/11/13, and noticed an oil puddle in my driveway when I got home the morning of 1/12/13. I think my only saving grace is I live in Seattle and the night this happened the temps were in the mid-20's. I drove 50 miles without any warning lights whatsoever. How is that even possible? I work for a living as a marine engineer, alarm and monitoring is what I get paid for. How could a car not have a "Low PSI or Low L.O. indicator" after a catastrophic failure?

So now I have to contact Toyota and I'm terrified by these stories I've read here. Is there any advice one can give me?

I will definitely keep you guys updated with how this turns out.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
I worked the night of 1/11/13, and noticed an oil puddle in my driveway when I got home the morning of 1/12/13. I think my only saving grace is I live in Seattle and the night this happened the temps were in the mid-20's. I drove 50 miles without any warning lights whatsoever. How is that even possible? I work for a living as a marine engineer, alarm and monitoring is what I get paid for. How could a car not have a "Low PSI or Low L.O. indicator" after a catastrophic failure?
I can think of two possibilities:

1. You did not completely run out of oil, and you were fortunate in the time, manner and place of failure.
  2. The oil pressure sensor or light is bad. See if the light goes on when you turn on the ignition. Do not attempt to start, of course.
http://www.rav4world.com/forums/96-4-3-general/74583-quality-problem-v6-engine-rav4-camry-lexus-oil-hose-failing.html?highlight=15707+31030 is the link for the big thread now. Links to older threads got broken. My roadmap of that thread on post #26 of this thread may still be of use.

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/106-4-3-tsbs/88738-t-cp-90k-0001-w-limited-service-campaign-vvt-i-oil-hose-replacement-2gr-fe.html is the TSB.

I would register at http://www.toyota.com/owners/web/pages/home and see if the recall was already performed. "This Limited Service Campaign will be available at no charge to the vehicle owners until March 31, 2013."

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank You Carbon,

So yes on Wednesday 1/16/13 I called Magic Toyota of Edmonds Washington and informed them of my oil line failure. The service department manager understood my dilemma, gave me a tow truck companies name and within an hour my car was on a flatbed heading for the service department at Magic Toyota.

Once there I met the manager, Khing is his name and he assured me they would double check my oil level, look over the engine and complete all outstanding TSB's and recall work. I was given a 2012 loaner RAV 4 to drive home until the work was finished.

Today, Friday 1/18/13 at 11:00 AM I was called and told my Rav 4 was ready, I picked it up and all of the TSB's and recall jobs were performed as well as a new floor mat, engine cleaning and car wash. They said that there was over 2 quarts of oil left in my sump, you'd think that low of a level would light up the low oil light, but it didn't in my case.

I took the car out for a shake down cruise, freeways, hills and stop at Costco. I'm thrilled. It is running excellent and sounds great. I was lucky that the temps were low and I use high quality synthetic blend lubricants.

I could not be happier with Toyota's response. They were all over my vehicle, apologetic and even gave me coupons for a free future car-wash and oil change.

All of this for a car with 111,000 miles on it and over 5 years old. Total cost, $0.00

Thanks guys for being here! I've been lurking around, this is a super cool site with excellent info.

·
16,447 Posts
Sounds like Magic Toyota is a really good dealer to do business with. My local dealer has been equally helpful. One thing to keep in mind, though: If they performed the TSB to the letter they replaced the old rubber hose with a new "improved" rubber hose. Some have reported that the new hose isn't much better and some have failed. Many V6 owners here have opted to replace the hose with the all-metal oil pipe that started being used on the assembly line in April of '08. The part is not very expensive and any good mechanic can change it out. That way you won't have to worry about that problem ever happening again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sounds like Magic Toyota is a really good dealer to do business with. My local dealer has been equally helpful. One thing to keep in mind, though: If they performed the TSB to the letter they replaced the old rubber hose with a new "improved" rubber hose. Some have reported that the new hose isn't much better and some have failed. Many V6 owners here have opted to replace the hose with the all-metal oil pipe that started being used on the assembly line in April of '08. The part is not very expensive and any good mechanic can change it out. That way you won't have to worry about that problem ever happening again.
I'll check it first thing in the morning. If it is indeed the mid-level part tubing part rubber hose I will have it changed out. I read somewhere in these forums if a person has minimal mechanical skills this would be an hour or less to swap out. If that is so I can do it! I don't think Magic Toyota did use the half and half part, but one can never be too sure. They seemed to realize right from the start that this was important not only for me but for the sake of their survival too.

Anyway I will post again tomorrow and tell what hose replacement I got.

·
16,447 Posts
21 - 40 of 53 Posts