Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got back from our Thanksgiving road trip. Put about 2000 miles on the RAV. From Tahoe to Vegas to The Grand Canyon to Southern Cal, back to Tahoe.

RAV ran flawlessly. The only things was poor gas miles. 80 mph, head wind, hills=low 20 mpgs. I think the V6 would have yielded better mpgs.

2 adults, 2 kids, a couple of suit cases.

One interesting fact is that 2nd gear tops at 80 mph just before redline. :wink

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
That must have been an interesting trip. About fuel mileage, my V6 gets 23-26 mpg in mixed mostly mountain and some Interstate driving, but I keep the Interstate speed to about 70 mph while the mountain part obviously depends upon the bends and twists, with a few straighter parts with 55 mph limit and one stretch of about 10 miles with 65 mph limit, and lots of Highway Patrol at times.

·
Super Moderator
10,135 Posts
RAV ran flawlessly. The only thing was poor gas miles. 80 mph, head wind, hills=low 20 mpgs. I think the V6 would have yielded better mpgs.
Was that with the cartop carrier?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was that with the cartop carrier?
No carrier. didn't need the extra capacity. Glad it wasn't on there either. The wind was insane in parts. Saw a couple of roof boxes with straps holding them closed.

Those 75 mph speed limits out in Arizona sure make eating up road miles easy to do. At 80 mph I was constantly being passed. Add some elevation, inclination, and wind and you are down in 3rd gear.

Typically we are at a very constant 25 mpgs mixed driving. Leaving the Grand Canyon on I40 I got about 30 mpg one tank; all the opposite conditions from the 20 mpg tank.

·
Registered
263 Posts
my '11 v6 would definitely NOT get above 20mpg going 80mph

Reactions: MrPulldown

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
that makes me feel better. I feel like a missed out by not buying a V6. Wife's car, trying to find a 4wd, 3rd row on a lot in California was not easy, let alone trying to add the V6 to the criteria. At least it is good to know that the mpg hit I thought I was taking is not so. Here are a couple of pictures from my trip. One is the GC the other my home town on Thanksgiving.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts