Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got the 140k mile scheduled maintenance on my 2010 Toyota RAV4 (AWD v6). When I picked up the car after the maintenance, it died at an intersection 1.9 miles from the dealership. Towed it back. They eventually discovered that one of the plastic guides had worn out, came loose, and jammed the timing chain. The timing chain replacement which they say I need is $3,454. It's a 19+ hour job.

Aside from it seeming like a huge coincidence that it dies on the way home from getting service... I thought a timing chain was supposed to last the life of the vehicle. I get all the scheduled maintenance. I get oil changes religiously. The car ran fine until this issue. Why would this happen?

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
With the low mileage you have the chances of the timing guide wearing down would be very low. I have never heard of a case like this because timing chains last the life of the car usually. The fact the incident happened after the dealership did work also raises suspicions.

Either bite the bullet and pay the money or tow it to another shop you can trust to see what it cost to fix. I would do the later since I would have doubt that it maybe a setup.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is 140k “low” mileage though? I got a quote from another garage for $3300. Apparently it’s a 19+ hour job.

·
Super Moderator
10,773 Posts
The metal chain is not the problem, the plastic parts that guide it are. I also think the amount is excessive but only you can decide if it is worth the repair cost. What is the car worth in it's current condition if it is running properly? That may help you determine if the repair is worth it. Either way 3 grand or so is a hell of a wallop in the wallet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What service did the dealer perform ? Could it be related to the timing chain ?
A bunch of stuff, but nothing related to the timing chain. It’s whatever is on the schedule for the 20k service, as it starts over after 120k. Oil change, air and oil filter change, ac system clean out, multipoint safety inspection, rotate tires... that sort of thing. They also replaced some sort of “links” on the front wheels for an extra $500. The service was $929 total.

·
Registered
425 Posts
For $3300, I’d have to think long and hard about getting a used engine instead. I can’t see that a used piece would cost close to this, but I haven’t checked prices for used V6 engines.

For the record, yes the plastic guides are a royal pain and subject to failure regardless of manufacturer. Ford has had problems for decades with the timing guides on the 4.0 and 4.6 engines.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Did the worn chain guide cause the chain to jump? Maybe the valves got damaged from a jumped chain. That could justify the huge repair cost. It is kind of hard to tell until a chain kit is put back in and a compression test is run.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No. The cost is due to labor. According to the manual, it’s roughly a 20 hour job because it’s AWD.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Well that cost no doubt is the cost of the factory procedure of removing the engine from the vehicle. The timing chain procedure can be done without removing the engine from the vehicle which would result in a much lower cost.

·
Your Humble Administrator
16,444 Posts
Well that cost no doubt is the cost of the factory procedure of removing the engine from the vehicle. The timing chain procedure can be done without removing the engine from the vehicle which would result in a much lower cost.
Absolutely right. According to the factory service manual, the first step to replacing the V6 water pump is to remove the engine. The mechanic who changed mine only had to remove the right front wheel!

·
Registered
251 Posts
A lot of repairs can be done with the engine in the vehicle. Some of them are easier with it removed. I know it's a pain to drain the coolant and unhook the wiring and pull it, but sometimes it really is the best/easiest way, sometimes. The decision is up to the mechanic because it's him/her doing the work.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Find another shop. That original shop is going to charge you for that labor but won't actually remove the engine.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
9,115 Posts
Absolutely right. According to the factory service manual, the first step to replacing the V6 water pump is to remove the engine. The mechanic who changed mine only had to remove the right front wheel!
Yeah, I changed my water pump w/o removing the engine (and wrote it up in a sticky). I only took one tricky extra step. But replacing the timing chain and related components is several orders or magnitude more involved so I highly doubt it could be done w/o removing the engine.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts