Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, originally we were having twins but after our second ultrasound today they found another little guy hiding back there. Holy crap! :shock: So needless to say we now need to think about 3 car seats. Have any of you tried this? Do you know if it will work? Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Definitely will NOT work!

The center seat is really only a "half" seat, there's no LATCH anchors there, and even the seatbelt setup is all funky. There's just not going to be room. Think you're going to be best off with a minivan! Sorry buddy! LOL Good luck!

·
Registered
444 Posts
I think you *might* be able to make it work as follows: latch for the two outboard seats and seatbelt for the center. Despite the truly crappy design of the off-center ceiling-mounted center seatbelt (there must be a place in hell for the jerkoff who engineered that crap), you can get some carseats to work in the center - I had good luck getting a Sunshine Kids radian convertible rear-facing in the center... I was, however, never able to get my infant carrier base (Graco snugride) to work in the center.

I hate to say it, but I really think you may want to consider a car with a better rear seat. Some of the American/larger SUVs can accommodate 3 seats across in the rear. Ugh... Congrats!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Congrats on the tree little ones. Man that will change your life.

I'm doubtful you'll be able to squeeze all of them in the back and yet they fit in moms belly just fine :lol:
Anyway I think it time to upgrade and hey you can get it in AWD.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
One of our friends has 3 young kids and is able to put all three seats in the second row of her KIA RONDO, but she says that she bought special narrow child seats.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Octane said:
One of our friends has 3 young kids and is able to put all three seats in the second row of her KIA RONDO, but she says that she bought special narrow child seats.
I am willing to bet that the Kia has a better seatbelt/latch arrangement - almost every other car on the planet does. The Sunshine Kids Radian is plenty narrow to physically get the 3 across - it is more a matter of properly securing them.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have the Sunshine Kids Radian XT - it won't fit. The latches aren't wide enough to accomodate two car seats on a single latch. The best you can do is 2 across the back. Sorry!

·
Registered
444 Posts
dre.c said:
I have the Sunshine Kids Radian XT - it won't fit. The latches aren't wide enough to accomodate two car seats on a single latch. The best you can do is 2 across the back. Sorry!
You can NEVER share lower tethers between seats - no matter how wide they are. Latch "sharing" is prohibited and unsafe in any car.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Just set this up today so guess I'll be the first to post these pics. There's 2 Sunshine Radian 80's and a Chicco Keyfit 30.

It's a LATCH, seatbelt, LATCH setup. It wasnt easy but I did spend a lot of time making sure everything was tight. I'll admit it isnt my best configuration as I preferred one of the Radian's to be rear-facing (his weight allows front or rear-facing; if you have a choice, always choose rear) but there isnt enough space in the RAV4 for this.

Hope this helps some people.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have squeezed two foraward facing seats and a booster seat in a few times. It was difficult. All three seats were touching each other and the doors. It was difficult to access each kid to make sure they were buckled.

I can't imagine getting three rear facing seats in there. Plus with tripletts, they may be small for a while and need the rear facing seat longer.

I consider the middle seat in the back of the Rav as a temporay use seat. Better get a mini van.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Just set this up today so guess I'll be the first to post these pics. There's 2 Sunshine Radian 80's and a Chicco Keyfit 30.

It's a LATCH, seatbelt, LATCH setup. It wasnt easy but I did spend a lot of time making sure everything was tight. I'll admit it isnt my best configuration as I preferred one of the Radian's to be rear-facing (his weight allows front or rear-facing; if you have a choice, always choose rear) but there isnt enough space in the RAV4 for this.

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/members/albums/24788-cococola/cococola-1556-picture18218-3-car-seats-angle-view.jpg

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/members/albums/24788-cococola/cococola-1556-picture18219-3-car-seats-side-view.jpg
Nice! I said it couldn't be done and you proved me wrong. :p Those Sunshine seats appear to be pretty low profile. Will have to check them out, not for the RAV4 but for the 335. Going to need to make a change in the car seat setup in that car come spring, mostly for my 2yr old who will be 3.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Come a few more months when my 1 month old outgrows the infant car seat I dont see it possible to fit 3 car seats in a row as Sunshine Kids likes to proudly advertise. Sunshine Kids have a more narrow profile than usual which is why I bought them, but to fit 3 of them in a row will require a larger SUV, or, might as well get a van. :oops:

·
Registered
276 Posts
UPDATE: :thumbs_up:
I just got around installing a 3rd Sunshine Kids Radian car seat into the RAV4 by replacing the Chico Keyfit that was previously in the middle. I was pleasantly surprised to see it fits! This will buy me some time before I decide on which minivan to buy. :confused: Thought I'd post some pics so everyone has an idea. I should say from experience though, the RAV4 isnt ideal for a preschooler, toddler and an infant. Just getting the infant into the middle seat and tightening the straps take a toll on our backs. Also, my wife and I are ~5'6" so this was do-able for us. I dont see a tall family being able to accomplish this.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,614 Posts
Wow, I didn't think that was possible. Are the LATCH points of any use for something like this?

My daughter has 3 kids and loves her Odyssey, but the Sienna has the best reliability of all the minivans out there.

·
Registered
276 Posts
The current configuration for these car seats is: LATCH, seatbelt, LATCH setup. I'm using the seatbelt setup as instructed in the Sunshine Kid's manual for rear facing installation.

I actually test drove the Sienna this summer and I cant say I like it (yet). The dash is very unattractive and the power is lacking. I'm still looking...

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hi! What year of Rav4 is this?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts