Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recieved a letter from toyota today saying it was time for my 30,000 mile service work. Does anyone know what this includes??. they want 300.00 dollars to do this service and it seems kinda high. What are your thoughts on this. It also says the tranny fluid should be changed every 15,000 miles and this too seems like it may be a waste of money. My f-150 is 40,000 miles before a change is needed. thanks. :?:

·
Registered
875 Posts
differen't cars require different servicing so i wouldn't necessarily consider the differenecs to be a discrepency.

Note that if you look at the car manual, much of the servicing is "inspecting" this and "inspecting" that. Basically they look at it to see if it's okay. Your'e paying for the dealer's time. If you find a guy who can do the same stuff, you wont be losing quality service. This can save you lots. I do remember however paying roughly $200 something for my 30k service too.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Dealers invent their own service schedules and hefty prices to go with them.

Stick to what the manual recommends. And ask the dealer why they think they know better than the people who designed the car...

G

·
0 Posts
I have had these overpriced package deals offered to me on all my past leased trucks. I have a guy who does this same full inspection each time I get an oil change, no charge!! You have to be careful with the dealership auto department. My local place has tried to pull a fast one on us several times in the past. One time they unplugged the air conditioner in our 86 camry & gave us a list of all the things wrong with it aside from this (there was nothing wrong in reality) saying we needed to trade it in. I lifted the hood asked “what’s this?” plugged the lead back in & the air conditioning worked! Magic! Another time they forgot to tighten down after an oil change, our car exploded oil all over their parking lot on the way out. They had to blast clean the engine & were dancing around us after that. These are just a couple of the things they’ve done... Ask around, see if anyone knows of someone who is trustworthy to work on your car. I’ve found all the best people through word of mouth.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can do all this myself not a problem. I just changed an engine for a friend in his dodge truck. Took about a day and a half but saved him big dollars. I charged him only 400.00 to do the change. My main concern is if i do not get this work done at the dealer will it void my extended warrenty??.

I pretty much work on anything so if anyone here needs and pointers on how to do something themselves, feel free to ask and i will try to aid you.

Thanks Jim

·
Registered
986 Posts
However it is a good idea to keep all receipts for parts purchased and records of dates you perform service if you ever have to provide evidence when filing a warranty claim.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts