Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
If I find a really beat up 4.1 model I would be tempted to just hack it up and put huge tires on it, but I would not do it to a newer model.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
One thing to keep in mind - the RAV4 is pretty sensitive to the weight of the wheel and tire. If you go bolting more than about 60 pounds to each corner, you're probably not going to like what it does to the ride and handling. This is especially true if you're using LT-metric tires like what leroybrown is running.

·
Registered
27 Posts
That's one nice-looking RAV!!
Thanks mate. It was actually a lot of work to get them in the front. But the back was easy, just had some minor adjustments to the guards. The front required some custom modification to The strut, but that was purely for the large tyres. If I went for a 30" I would've got away with it.

The ride is comprised, but it's more from the stiffer suspension than the tyres. You're right about the cornering though, you'd really only want tyres like these if you spend enough time offroad to warrant it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
No one said it was an off road vehicle.....just made mention of using it off road......just like the rav4 in not a race car.....however people on this site race them........
WELL SAID!! Besides, my little Rav holds it's own off road. Sure it doesn't have low range gearing, but I reckon it just adds to the challenge. I live in an outback mining town in the north west of Australia. There's nothing to do up here but four wheel driving and there's loads of cashed up guys, so naturally they spend their cash on their 4x4's. There's dozens of $$$ monster trucks getting around with half wit clowns driving them. I've got loads of stories where the Rav has left some of these guys embarrassed.

Here's a picture of the most famous local obstacle, known as the 'Jump Up' My Rav got over this with no help. I know for a fact that a non modified Hilux and a non modified Prado both cannot make it up this same obstacle. (It's alot worse than the picture implies) Ask anyone in town, everyone knows coz every second Hilux and Prado work car has bashed up the side steps and sills from attempting to get over it.

I reckon the fact it's not a dedicated offroad vehicle shouldn't stop you taking it offroad. Mine spends at least a third of it's life off the tarmac. I just love sticking it to the big boys with my 'baby cruiser'

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
Nice! With a RAV outfitted like yours, Dedeckera Canyon (http://kaurijacobphotography.yolasite.com/resources/DedeckeraEurekaDunes.pdf — didn't make it in the Jeep as wasn't familiar with the vehicle) and some similar roads in Death Valley National Park should be no problem! Maybe someday (when I finish college?) I'll be able to try it, as I've always wanted to see if a RAV could get up those steps... Thanks for showing how much a "little" RAV can do!! (And I'd certainly be interested in hearing some of your RAV vs. 4 x 4 monster truck stories!)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm looking for 30"+ tires on 16" wheels and a 3" lift for winter/snow driving. Then for the rest of the year switching back to H&R springs & 20" wheels. So, who has the tallest tire here with stock front spring perches?

·
Registered
32 Posts
This is my 2011 with BFG 32" Mud Terrains.
Like it or hate it..... whatever.
Very nice. Spent the weekend driving my new v6 2007 with whiny transmission around DI point and Rainbow Beach. Biggest issue is clearance. At 15 psi i had no trouble in any of the soft stuff or cuttings/climbs, but it was hard work trying to stay out of the tracks on the more deeply rutted trails. Do you think 30 inches would fit ok? From sight there is about 1inch from the stock tyre to the strut on the front, so up to a 2inch increase in dia should theoretically be ok?

The 'tap dance' seemed to only be required when belly dragging in the deeper sandy trails....

·
Super Moderator
10,895 Posts
You have FWD. I wouldn't expect you to understand
Son, I live in South Texas which is the home of the jacked up truck so I understand more than you will ever know. Come to the beach where I live and count the number of Suburbans four feet off of the ground with ladders to get inside the cabin. What I don't understand is tires that large on a RAV4. I can see it in New Zealand where the majority of the roads are not paved but Maryland? Not knocking your idea just not understanding why it would be of any use there. Snow perhaps? That's something I don't see here at all.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts