Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been three weeks since I had it installed and was apprehensive at first since this was my first such experience with this type of product. Probably still too premature to make any judgements but.....
so far so good - no bubbles or creases, can't even tell it's there unless you're within about 5 feet of it.

At first I was concerned about the depth of shine between the coated area and the area adjacent to it. With two good coats of Zaino Z-2 Pro on the paint, and nothing on the plastic, the depth and clarity were not very uniform between the bra and the untreated adjacent paint - made it more noticeable. Today, I put the first coat of Zaino on the bra, and it's starting to look more uniform and less noticeable. One or two more and I should be all set.

Installer gave me a small sample of the film, and I was surprised that I could not scratch it as hard as I tried with my jagged fingernail - not to say that it can't be scratched or scuffed by flying road debris.

Would I recommend it? At this point I would would say "Yay" - am very pleased with it thus far :D

OC

·
Registered
271 Posts
OC,

Did u get the door edge guard? I just received my order and I'm going to put it on the vehicle this weekend. If you do, could you please post some picture? I'm looking for a reference point for installation. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Puttputt -

Sure, Z-6 spray helps get the shine deeper and also cleans without scratching if it's not too dirty. I go through 3-4 16oz bottles of it from April thru October for two cars. If you get a chance, try their new Z-8 spray supposed to be for "special occasions" like auto shows, works nice.

Kendfw -

No I didn't get the door edge plastic, just the hood, front edge of quarter panels and mirrors. I would like to at least get it done around door handle recesses and locks, since my wife is always leaving surface scratches in that area with her rings and finger nails. ( Shhhh - if it wasn't for her I could keep my cars pristine for YEARS to come!!!) :lol:

OC

·
Registered
379 Posts
Oh yeah OC way too early to make a blanket statement like that! What's the matter with a nice Colgan carbon fiber bra. Cheaper too. I thought we were a team here OC, Still don't have enough people interested in the Colgan for them to get off their dead butt and make me one.:D P.S. Like your face, that really you :wink:

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Inlets wrote:
Oh yeah OC way too early to make a blanket statement like that! What's the matter with a nice Colgan carbon fiber bra.
Yeah, you're right ol' buddy, it is kind of premature to make a definitive judgement on the 3M film, but Colgan hasn't produced or distributed them as of yet, and being an OC, I want the hood protection NOW!! :!:

If the 3M doesn't hold up in the long run, I still can get the cheaper Colgan hood protector, and it will be an expensive lesson/mistake I don't repeat on my future rides. But I must say at this point, I'm impressed. Like the way you can barely see it, Zaino over it and the shine just gets deeper and deeper, just like your nice Toyo paint finish!

BTW - my avatar is not me - had to get rid of the Red RAV Ltd avatar so many members here seem to have (Sorry Flyingn :wink: )
When I searched for avatars that was the one I could best vizualize as being a professional anal OC - like me!!! :twisted:

OC

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
After almost three years with paint protection film on my other vehicle I can't imagine anyone preferring a traditional bra over the film. It'll be an absolute must for any future vehicles of mine. I also highly recommend going with film on the front bumper cover as well for those who can swing the cost.

·
Super Moderator
1,559 Posts
LOL... It must be fate! I know some of you have probably seen the 3M Paint Protection Film being sold on eBay in "Standard" and "Deluxe" setups (Deluxe adds bumper panels), but did anyone click through to the 3M promotional video? **WARNING! 55MB video file! Definitely not for dialup surfers!** There's a silver RAV4.2 in every frame of personal testimonials!! You catch a Toyota emblem on the wall too, so it was obviously recorded at a dealership, but I found it amusing to say the least. :wink:

Coincidence...? Hmmmmmm....

Invisible Bra? Same 3M material, I'm sure, but for more coverage areas they want... wait for it... the grand sum of $566!! And you still have to install it!! :shock:

OC: Also would like to know if you had the film professionally installed... Not sure it looks like something a regular Joe, or even the DIY type would want to tackle... P.S.- You could always take a photo of your red RAV from a different angle! :wink:

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Inlets & Karrock -

Yes, I had it installed professionally - was the 3M paint protection product you mentioned with 5 year warranty. I believe you can get it in rolls or die-precut package fit to your vehicle. Pretty sure my installer did the precut version, because he looked up the part numbers and brought up diagram of '06 RAV configuration on his PC. Professional tint shop that does window tinting was installer.

I'm sure some folks could DIY, but for the price, and with my patience, I didn't want my front end to end up looking like a topographic map!! :lol:

OC

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
its a mistake. If it fits an 06 it will not be able to work on any other year

Masterblaster said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyota-RAV4-06-2006-3M-Clear-Bra-DLX_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ50457QQitemZ8054749400QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

would this kit work? It says it fits from 2001-2006 but isn't the 06 a redo? Just asking, I dont want to waste a couple hundred bucks because of an incorrect listing.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, it's gotta be a mistake. The kit for the 4.3 RAV I saw online at my installer was precut to fit to the new dimensions of the 4.3. I don't know about you guys, but I'd be afraid to try to DIY - look at the trouble rav4less had installing the flat one piece bumper protector decal - that 3M film is not inexpensive.

OC

·
Premium Member
6,703 Posts
The 3M kit isn't the only product advertised as fitting the '06 as well as previous years, several sources cite the EGR window visor kit as fitting '01-'06 R4, but it doesn't fit the '06 for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thanks for the clarification on the years being a mistake, its always nice to find a specialized forum to bring in a huge amount of info on your specific vehicle.

Ive done vinyl graphics and tint before, its all about prep and patience.

Trying to go at it without a least a spray bottle, flexible squeegy and a heat gun is going to getcha some bad results. :(

·
Registered
379 Posts
The promo video is too much hype! What did they pay for those testimonials? Product for FREE, probabally empoyees of 3M. No wonder it costs well over $300. to do the whole front end of the RAV. If it's so great why is it only guarenteed for five years! I think we need a group buy. Any takers? :idea:

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Inocense wrote:
Alright.. What's the update on your 3M product? Smile
Had it for about seven weeks now, and it's holding up very well. Got about four coats of Zaino on it so the depth of shine is pretty uniform, in fact the film is not noticeable unless you're standing right on top of it. Z-6 detail spray works well on it too. No bug stains, they wash right off with no problem. So far I'm very pleased with it and if it holds up like this, all my future rides will have this instead of a bug deflector or vinyl bra.:)

OC

·
Registered
379 Posts
Hey Inocense, don't think we have any interested takers for a group buy point of contact person. I would probabaly go that route if the price was a little better.... I do like the Colgan carbon fiber bra though. But it doesn't appear we have too many takers for that product either.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts