Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have 3M door edge guards on their Hybrid from the factory? Mine has it, but it's not listed on the invoice, and I know my dealer didn't install it. May have been installed by the transferring dealer, but you'd think they would have added it to the cost.

·
Registered
91 Posts
color keyed to the car?

They may have been "port installed", or the dealer they did the trade with might have added them.

I want to say mine were 65 bucks and took about 5 minutes to install, they blend in so well you can't see them on the car.

·
Premium Member
7,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They're 3M clear film, not the plastic coated body color stainless factory accessory.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
then it is not a Toyota part, it is a dealer add on.
Very common, and it is listed under dealer installed options in my region, same as the door sill protectors, cargo net, etc...
It is a part of the paint protection package.

The full package includes the front edge of the hood, mirrors, and I believe the leading edges of the front fenders.
Our '15 XLE came with the edge guards and door handle cups.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Was it listed on the invoice?
Not that I could find.

Ours too was a dealer transfer.

Same with the dealer-installed options on my '16 Corolla including:
Rear bumper protector ($79)
Cargo net ($49)
Carpeted floor mats ($130)
Carpeted trunk mat ($95)

The combination is listed as "protection package" for $353... which happens to be exactly the sum total of the individual items.

So $353, figure dealer cost on those items is 70% or $250... I can see a dealer throwing in $250 worth of uninvoiced items to make the car more presentable.

Prices are list, what the dealer will add to the cost of the car if you ask for them.

·
Premium Member
7,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There's nothing listed on my invoice and the invoice amount is what I paid on the contract, so the door guards must have been installed by the transferring dealer and ignored when they did the transfer.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Like I said... NONE of the above listed "dealer installed" items appeared anywhere on my paperwork for either vehicle.

The Rav was a dealer transfer (not at our request, it came onto the lot a few days earlier) and the Corolla was not.

These items are high-profit items for the dealer if you request them, but it is obvious that some dealers are installing them without charging the customer to sweeten the deal.

Why are you concerned about it?
If you don't like them and want the painted stainless guards, they are not difficult to remove with a heat gun.

·
Premium Member
7,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not concerned, just curious why any dealer would give a product away, particularly to entice a sale on a vehicle that is in short supply and high demand, I've never heard of such a thing in my 70yrs. My Hybrid was transferred to my dealer because I asked for it, it was the only one that suited my wants within 500 miles according to my exhaustive zip code search and the customer service rep at the dealer. There was an Electric Storm Blue limited Hybrid 30 miles south of me, but it had a black interior, the one I got was the first one with cinnamon interior my dealership had ever seen. Considering the Japan Hybrid plant shutdown mid February I considered myself lucky. :D

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
The painted stainless guards ARE nice ;)

I put those on my Corolla when I installed the body side moldings.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts