Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today we experienced the 3rd check engine light in less than 2 weeks and under 170 miles... First 2 were attributed to an aftermarket locking gas cap. :shock: The current one is attributed to a faulty charcoal canister. :evil: No TSB issued but dealer has received information from Toyota USA of this condition. :roll:
It's getting old... I hope I did not pick a Monday morning RAV :(

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Looking Deeper

Sounds like they are finding the symtom, not the cause. What if there is an air leak in the pipes between the cannister and the tank, that would cause both of the faults you mention.

I would check all the pipes under the car related to the fuel vapour system.

Brian

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re:looking Deeper

Brian,

After speaking with the service advisor, she indicated that a "smoke" machine was hooked up to the system and a leak was detected in the charcoal filters gasket. Not being a mechanic by trade, I can only assume that this smoke machine would has assisted in the detection of other leaks? :roll:

I certainly hope so.

Thanks for your response. Will keep you posted.

Until then "Check Engine Lights Rule!" - NOT :!:

Peace

Shorty

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Back in the saddle... (follow up on engine check light)

Follow Up: Got the RAV back today. Diagnostics procedures revealed a Code 0442 fault/error. This error code coupled with a connection to a smoke machine uncovered a leak at the fuel tank over fill check valve and required the replacement of the hose. Technician indicates that exhaust, drive shaft, gas tank shield, charcoal canister shield, and gas tank were all removed and that the check valve gasket (77177-33010), fuel valve assembly (77390-20070) and fuel hose sub assembly (77404-42011) were replaced. Entire effort took one day and so far all is well. Work performed sounds very similar to the procedures identified in TSB # EG008-02 M.I.L. "ON", PO442, PO440 (Fuel Tank Vent Hose). Hopefully this will correct the problem once and for all or it will be time to break out the lemon suit and stand in front of the dealer’s lot… :wink:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had problems with the check engine light and VSC light starting at 2000 miles on my 2004 RAV. First the charcoal canister failed, then a hose connecting to it leaked, then a fuel air sensor failed, then the catalytic convertor needed to be replaced. Lots of trips to the dealer between 2000 and 3000 miles and I was totally disgusted. Now at 6500 miles no additional problems with the check engine light, but the windshield squeak and the squeal from the motor still hasn't been fixed. I bought a Toyota to be free of such problems. This car has more defects than my last two Chevy vans put together and it's not what I was told a owning a Toyota would be like. I'm angry about it.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's a very bad experience, I wonder if all RAVs come out of the same factory. My Aussie 2002 AUTO has been excellent so far with 70000km.

I would buy another one in the future no worries.

Brian

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From what I read they do come out of the same factory in Japan. The only reason I bought this car was because of Toyota's reputation for quality and reliability, but so far it isn't working out and I'm really growing to hate this vehicle. It isn't the solid construction and quality I read about and some parts are poorly assembled. My ignition switch and visor clips are even loose from the day I brought it home. I had hoped to keep it a long time, but now I regret even buying it.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Stafford, maybe you got a lemon.

My Honda was like that and then some--a disaster on wheels with parts that broke over and over and over. No one else I've ever met had problems with their Hondas, so I think the factory saved up all the gremlins for my car. You might have the Toyota version of that.

On the positive side, I love my RAV. It has over 105k miles now, and it's still a joy to drive.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought about it being classified as a lemon, but legally can't be officially designated as a lemon and in a few weeks it will be one year old. I know lots of people have reliable Rav's and like them my brother has one, but saddly mine is not the solid, well constructed vehicle I had hoped it would be.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts