Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
The cross-tailgate cargo nets marketed by Toyota as 2013-2015 actually only fit 2013 and 2014 because of a change to the hooks.
I would imagine that would be the same case for the 2016

I bought a "hammock" for my wife's '15 and it has been much more useful than the cross-tailgate net she had in her '04.

·
Registered
270 Posts
The hammock one came with our RAV4 Hybrid and it's great. I had an envelope / cross tailgate one in my previous Prius and it was kinda useless. It mainly served to block access to the cargo space, or to hold empty shopping bags.

Plus, a lot of the third party ones suck, so choose carefully.

Reactions: jeeheon

·
Registered
211 Posts
What do folks use the hammock for? What advantage does it have? The cargo net looks useful to keep things rolling out when the hatch door opens?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The cross-tailgate cargo nets marketed by Toyota as 2013-2015 actually only fit 2013 and 2014 because of a change to the hooks.
I would imagine that would be the same case for the 2016

I bought a "hammock" for my wife's '15 and it has been much more useful than the cross-tailgate net she had in her '04.
Which one did you buy? Do you happen to know the name and model or a link?

·
Registered
270 Posts
What do folks use the hammock for? What advantage does it have? The cargo net looks useful to keep things rolling out when the hatch door opens?
The advantage is that it is held up by two stiff aluminum rods so the hammock support is sturdy, unlike the envelope which is just held up by stretchy bands.

The width of the hammock is also adjustable by moving the rod arms. Also it is above the cargo space so you can put stuff underneath it, whereas the envelope annoying blocks the way to that. To put stuff in the cargo space means you either have to remove the envelope or else lift the cargo up and over it.

Plus at least third party envelope ones just aren't strong enough to hold anything substantial. It just all flops around despite the pix.

In contrast, stuff in the hammock stays firmly in place, at least with regards to front and back. It can move around side to side though if the hammock isn't full though.

Reactions: jeeheon

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm still not sold on any of them. Seems like the hammock is more in the way than useful.
If you don't haul a lot of random items then I guess having one won't help you much, but I like the idea of it because it sort of increases your cargo capacity.

Let's say you have a bunch of items in the back. They're probably filling up the mat space with a bunch of open air above. The hammock allows you to utilize that unoccupied space above all your stuff in the cargo area. Did that make sense?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Makes sense, but still seems more of a gimmicky thing that takes up more space than it's worth, just my opinion though...

·
Registered
270 Posts
If you don't haul a lot of random items then I guess having one won't help you much, but I like the idea of it because it sort of increases your cargo capacity.

Let's say you have a bunch of items in the back. They're probably filling up the mat space with a bunch of open air above. The hammock allows you to utilize that unoccupied space above all your stuff in the cargo area. Did that make sense?
That's exactly the case. Useless for hauling major stuff, but perfect for the suburban mom who needs somewhere to keep the sports gear and water bottles, etc. Heck, we even use it to hold our Chinese takeout for dinner.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I haul a ton off stuff, but I simply organize when I pack it in and stack it up. I think those rods would get in my way most of the time and I would toss them out..

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Hmm still not sold on any of them. Seems like the hammock is more in the way than useful.
Drop plastic shopping/grocery bags into it and they don't roll around in the back.
Boxes and other hard-cased items go on the floor.

It is a Toyota product.
Toyota - CARGO NET - HAMMOCK Part Number: PT731-42100

The rods can be locked in anywhere you see a 2 inch "hole" in the side of the cargo area.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Makes sense, but still seems more of a gimmicky thing that takes up more space than it's worth, just my opinion though...
My wife kinda rolled her eyes when I unboxed it and described it to her.

After a week, she was raving about it and how she wished she had one when she had her '04 Rav.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Yes, the hammock is exactly what I wanted in my 2004 Prius. I'd just grumble about my envelope net and even the flat cargo net on the floor of the cargo storage area. At that time I thought it'd be great to have a storage net above... and now the RAV4 has it. Perfect.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,715 Posts
The hammock style net is all kinds of handy. You can position it several different ways. And if it's in the way, there is a designated storage spot for it under the floor just behind the spare. There is also a space there to store the tonneau cover.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I will save my storage under the floor for other useful things. Folks seem to find value in this accessory, but for me, am better off without I think.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Yep. I wasn't too sure if there was some function I was unaware of with the hammock, but it sound like it is just as straight forwards as it appeared to be. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Where else are you going to put your yoga roller? ;)

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Yep. I wasn't too sure if there was some function I was unaware of with the hammock, but it sound like it is just as straight forwards as it appeared to be. Thanks for the info.
Yep... Just a place to put stuff if you need it.

Oh, and it reduces MPG by 4%.....

....because of all of the crap your wife will leave in it :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts