Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have some (hopefully) quick questions before just going ahead and having this device installed in my hybrid rav4.

First of all, will a dealership install it even though its 3rd party? I'm worried about taking it somewhere else and having them not know what to do since the car is a hybrid. The remote starter that my girlfriend bought for me is an Avital Model 4103. Anyone know anything about this brand, like if its good or known to be bad or anything like that?

My other question is concerning the warranty. Some googling on my part has found a few threads/websites saying that if anything electrical were to malfunction on my vehicle, my warranty would basically be voided and the remote starter would get blamed even if its not actually at fault. Is this true or just a few rare cases, in your experiences?

Finally, I'm guessing I would need to still use the original key if I wanted to use the keyless entry system for locking/unlocking my doors? I guess this isn't really a question, but more just looking for confirmation.

Any information that anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated, this is the fanciest car I've ever had so I want to make sure I don't do anything foolish.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
My other question is concerning the warranty. Some googling on my part has found a few threads/websites saying that if anything electrical were to malfunction on my vehicle, my warranty would basically be voided and the remote starter would get blamed even if its not actually at fault. Is this true or just a few rare cases, in your experiences?
A dealer might or might not install it for you. Depends on if they sell a competing system.

In spite of internet ramblings, there's no such thing as "voiding a warranty". If a device, (or its installation or usage), is not the cause of an issue then warranty is not affected. That's not to say that some a-hole dealer won't try to claim the opposite, but its a solid legal fact.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Hi all, I have some (hopefully) quick questions before just going ahead and having this device installed in my hybrid rav4.

First of all, will a dealership install it even though its 3rd party? I'm worried about taking it somewhere else and having them not know what to do since the car is a hybrid. The remote starter that my girlfriend bought for me is an Avital Model 4103. Anyone know anything about this brand, like if its good or known to be bad or anything like that?

Finally, I'm guessing I would need to still use the original key if I wanted to use the keyless entry system for locking/unlocking my doors? I guess this isn't really a question, but more just looking for confirmation.

Any information that anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated, this is the fanciest car I've ever had so I want to make sure I don't do anything foolish.
Avital Model 4103 will need additional parts like a a bypass module. You might be better off ( and Cheaper) getting a system that has the starter and bypass module together. Bestbuy has a 1 way system and installation package together that can be updated to a 2way at a later date if you like. here's a link if you want to check it out.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/compustar-compustar-remote-start-kit-for-select-vehicles-with-geek-squad-installation/9999273000050000.p?skuId=9999273000050000

To see if you car is compatible with this system you can check here.

Compustar - ADS-ALCA

you can call the Geek Squad at 1-800-433-5778 with any questions you might have and to find out if there are any additional parts or charges.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Please excuse my ignorance, but what is the difference between a 1 way system and 2 way?

Also, to add to my original list of totally random questions, does a remote starter impact trade-in value at all? Either raising it due to convenience or lowering it because a dealer will want to remove it?

I've also been reading about the rav4s turning off when the door is opened...is that just with a Toyota remote starter or do the rav4s do that with all of them? Will I need to have both key fobs if I want to continue to use the feature of the door just unlocking when I grab the handle?

Thanks again to those that have already answered and anyone else that can provide any additional input, I am very grateful.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
"what is the difference between a 1 way system and 2 way?"

1 way remote just sends a signal to the car. it doesn't let you know if the car has started .

2 way remote sends a signal to the car and then sends signal from the car to the remote letting you know the car is started.

"I've also been reading about the rav4s turning off when the door is opened...is that just with a Toyota remote starter or do the rav4s do that with all of them? Will I need to have both key fobs if I want to continue to use the feature of the door just unlocking when I grab the handle?"

Yes some later model Toyota with push button start shut off when door is opened. You can call BESTBUY to see if your car is one of them!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts