Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the third time my 2007 RAV4 has had recall work done on the rear suspension (plus one more time it had to be cut out to align it since the arms are epoxied). When I picked up the car it was undrivable. If you hit even a minor bump with any lateral force on the rear end (eg, going around a curve), the rear end kicks to the side. On at least one occasion going over a pavement seam on a curve triggered the traction alarm in addition to the lateral jerk. On one occasion the rear end rolled and pitched violently. Pretty scary at freeway speeds. The neutral position on the steering sometimes is 20° to the right for miles at a time, then straight on for miles. The dealer claims it has to do with the shocks. Something about the car sitting on the lift all night and the shocks shifting or some such nonsense.

The car drove fine before I brought it in. Any idea what they did to it? Left something unsecured when the quit for the day and forgot to tighten it in the morning? Anything I can look at?

The car is sitting in the driveway while I'm out of town. It goes back to the dealer Monday. I'm taking it to an independent (and trusted) alignment shop to look it over before I go to the dealer to have them check for an explanation so that I don't have to take the dealer at face value if they decide they're going to cover-up for their mistake.

Any suggestions on how to proceed are welcome. I already know not to drive the car :)

·
Registered
932 Posts
For the third time my 2007 RAV4 has had recall work done on the rear suspension (plus one more time it had to be cut out to align it since the arms are epoxied). When I picked up the car it was undrivable. If you hit even a minor bump with any lateral force on the rear end (eg, going around a curve), the rear end kicks to the side. On at least one occasion going over a pavement seam on a curve triggered the traction alarm in addition to the lateral jerk. On one occasion the rear end rolled and pitched violently. Pretty scary at freeway speeds. The neutral position on the steering sometimes is 20° to the right for miles at a time, then straight on for miles. The dealer claims it has to do with the shocks. Something about the car sitting on the lift all night and the shocks shifting or some such nonsense.

The car drove fine before I brought it in. Any idea what they did to it? Left something unsecured when the quit for the day and forgot to tighten it in the morning? Anything I can look at?

The car is sitting in the driveway while I'm out of town. It goes back to the dealer Monday. I'm taking it to an independent (and trusted) alignment shop to look it over before I go to the dealer to have them check for an explanation so that I don't have to take the dealer at face value if they decide they're going to cover-up for their mistake.

Any suggestions on how to proceed are welcome. I already know not to drive the car :)
That is what I would do and if the independent shop finds anything wrong, like a bolt not tightened, I would have it towed to the dealer at there expense and bill them for any out of pocket costs.

I can relate since I also had my Rav in for the same issue 4 times before they got it squared away ... hate this fix. Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts