Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

3S-FE engine swap/fix issue

6K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Caja 
#1 ·
hi guys!

so i just registered to this forum in hopes of getting some great advice on my '95 Rav4 J (Japan version)

due to excess burning of oil my and untimely repair my engine stalled (the catalytic converter light went on).
i was bummed so i just left the car standing for a while until i decided to get the issue repaired. i changed the valve seals, spark plugs, alternator and had to buy a new battery to start. on startup the engine was still sputtering but the mechanic said that it might be due to carbon buildup and driving it would eventually fix this. now the engine wont start and i'm starting to get bored an thinking about replacing the engine but i need some advice.

- should i just open up the engine and fix the issue?
-if i decide to swap it, can i replace it with a 3S-FE engine out of a 2wd car?
-would i need to do some modifications make it fit or not?

hope someone can help.

greatings from Suriname, South America

Sergio

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey Serg.
I've actually never been to Suriname. Venezuela and Salvadore, Brazil, but that's about as close as I've gotten. I want to vacation to a place that speaks Dutch. Is it still spoken there?
A 3SFE from a 2WD car will work fine, if it is the same configuration. Note that later models, such as the one that was in my Y2K model, have two waste-spark coils and earlier models, such as yours, have a distributor, I believe. So as long as you get one that looks the same, you will be OK.
I would be more interested in why your motor doesn't start. Did you pull the codes from the ECU? It only takes a paperclip. You only need: Spark, compression, timing, fuel. Which are you missing? Go down the list one by one and find it.

Tot ziens.

#4 ·
There are 4 part numbers for the blocks. Up to 9709 production, 11400-74162 for the SXA10,11, which I believe is the 4WD, and 11400-74350 for the SXA15,16, which I think is FWD. Those are for up to 9709 production. Post 9709 production, it is 11400-74360 for SXA10,11 and 11400-74480 for SX15,16. So they do appear to be different. I also recall reading in my 3SGTE research that some people had to grind off part of the 3SGTE blocks they were finding to get them to fit on an 4WD RAV4. This is probably the same part sticking out. Note that they did report success in modifying the block to work with the 4WD transmission, and they reported using only a hand held grinder. I used a Caldina motor, which came on a 4WD transmission, so I didn't have that problem.

#5 ·
hey dr. Hess,

yes dutch is still the official language! you should definitely visit Suriname especially if you like the outdoors, good food (of different cultures) and history (because of our colonial background). where did you learn your dutch?

anyway on topic :)

no i haven't checked the codes so that is something i should be doing. soi if i do it myself i guess i would need my own code scanner? i'm not much of a diy guy but i'm open to learning so maybe you could give me some specific pointers on how to do it myself.

#6 ·
@LugNut,

i went to an engine part dealer and he said that the 2wd engine would go on it after you had two grind of part a certain of the engine (forgot the name!!) to make it fit. i guess i definitely need to wrk that out or just look for a 4wd engine instead.

would the engine of a left hand drive rav4 fit on my right hand drive rav?

if there is anything else i need to know just leave a post!

thanks for the tips guys!

#7 ·
I'm actually 1st and 3rd generation Dutch-American. Mom came over after the war. I guess I learned my accent from her, but we never spoke it at home. I've been listening to language CD's on the ride to work for the past couple years. Mom says my accent is perfect.

Left hand or right hand drive cars will have the same engine.

A code scanner is handy to have, but not completely necessary. You can pull the codes with a paperclip by jumping two pins on the diagnostic connector in the engine bay. There are lots of sites showing which two pins. You then turn the key on (don't start the car) and count the flashes on the check engine light. Google those up and it will point you towards what is wrong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.