Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize if this has been asked before! I have searched through the Forums, and have looked through other Toyota forums, with varied answers.. Let me get to the point.. I Have a 1997 Rav4 AWD Manual, that i would like to swap to a 3s-gte. I have a complete 4th gen motor, with wire, and ecu.. The only problem with it is a cracked cylinder wall in the 3s-gte! Would i be able to use just the 3s-fe Block to reuse the Crank, Rods, and Pistons from the 3s-gte? From what i am reading is that it might be the same block?

Thanks,

·
Registered
512 Posts
That is what the 3S stands for. 3rd generation S block. Same block, different head. FE is the fuel efficient head and also injection instead of carb., GE is the performance head, GTE is the Turbo head. Also GZE is the Supercharged head. The same applies to a variety of older Toyota motors such as the 4AF/4AFE/4AGE/4AGZE motors.

Now what you really have to worry about is that the 3SFE you have is a revision 2 model and the 3SGTE you have is a revision 4. The head and internals will bolt up HOWEVER the water jackets may require modifications. I am not sure about these two specifically. I'd pop the head off of both blocks and compare, you may just have to block one or two jackets like the people who build "5SGTE" motors, which is a hybrid 5SFE/3SGTE motor.

·
Registered
10,765 Posts
I'm telling you this from the mouth of one of PR leading 3SGTE tuners. He tunes my RAV4 Megasquirt. He told me that the RAV4 1997 block IS THE BEST BLOCK TO HOT ROD. Why, he explained it to me, but right now I don't remember what it was. BUT, in a few more weeks I'm giving him another visit, and I'll ask him again. Go for it, good luck. BTW, yes, installing a 3SGTE head, because that what he does for a living.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.