Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3s-GE

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I have made a few decisions, now the question is a final route. Firstly, no turbo. I don't want the hastle, and the risk of failure. Next, I am going with 16 inch three piece rims and keeping the same tire size, it works out well enough. Lastly, I will be doing a custom exhaust to get more power yet maintain my rear step. It won't be too much to have the pipes bent locally, if need be.

Now comes the interesting part, the engine. Is it worth it to attempt a 3s-GE swap. Kiddong, you may be the best to answer that one. Price tag, I would like under 4k for the whole deal. Means probably a 3rd generation engine. Looking at the price on e-bay, I can get the engine in fairly good condition for around 1k. The drop with labor and parts should fall under 2k, right? If I can get a good idea of how the swap is done, I may have a crew down by Jackson, MI to help for free....mmm...free labor. So would the performance gain be worth it? Or should I just stay with this engine, possibly rebuild it, and add in alot of the parts Mensa did.

Which comes to the next part, the tranny. The current tranny is an automatic. So if I do the swap, will I be able to do it and maintain the compatibility of the auto tranny. Should I swap the tranny? Perhaps find a junked rav with a complete manual tranny and switch out the parts?

I know, alot to consider, but I am doing up my budget and figuring out how to save for it, so now is the time.

·
Registered
881 Posts
SZRimaging said:
right? If I can get a good idea of how the swap is done, I may have a crew down by Jackson, MI to help for free....mmm...free labor. So would the performance gain be worth it? Or should I just stay with this engine, possibly rebuild it, and add in alot of the parts Mensa did.

Which comes to the next part, the tranny. The current tranny is an automatic. So if I do the swap, will I be able to do it and maintain the compatibility of the auto tranny. Should I swap the tranny? Perhaps find a junked RAV with a complete manual tranny and switch out the parts?

I know, alot to consider, but I am doing up my budget and figuring out how to save for it, so now is the time.
If you need an engine anyway then you would be crazy to put the FE back in if you know where to get a GE. I have no idea where to get one but when mine finally dies I will be looking hard for one. I think it would go a lot easier if you could find a jap spec GE out of a Rav4 with the manual transmission still attached. Hopefully I will have a second car by the time I'm ready for this and be able to take my time fitting it. It would be worth it just to see the look on people's faces when I do my first rally cross run with 50-60 more hp than I had before :)

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
What about a response for neither... :p I say work with what you have, and if that motor goes, then consider the options... but question is, do you have emissions in Michigan, if not, then do the 3SGTE from a 91-95 MR2, or 90-93 Celica Alltrac.... JDM/Euro swap, you may run into more headaches....

Just my .02 cents...

On a side note, I have basically everything you need to turbo the 3SFE reliably... may consider selling, and would cost you way less than your looking to spend... 8)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No emmisions. I have alot of friends having bad luck with their turbos, so I am not too thrilled to be having a triple boat payment. My engine runs strong, but has a mysterious oil "burn". Basically we died the oil and such forth, and can find a trace. No leaks, and nothing out the rear. Kind of worried about something building up in the engine, hence the rebuild idea. The engine is at 110,000 miles. I am doing up the water pump and timing in a month or so (need to schedule it with my toyota dealer who is about an hour and a half away).

If I keep the FE, well, I am gonna copy mensa for most of it, but add a few suprises of my own (Secret weapon intake :twisted: ).

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
mensajero said:
DJ Sueno said:
On a side note, I have basically everything you need to turbo the 3SFE reliably... may consider selling, and would cost you way less than your looking to spend... 8)
Post some picturs to see what you got. :doh: He we go again. :roll:
Are you looking to add to your collection of toys ?? at this point I am willing to take a loss on parts, so it would be a good deal for someone... :D

·
Registered
881 Posts
DJ Sueno said:
mensajero said:
DJ Sueno said:
Post some picturs to see what you got. :doh: He we go again. :roll:
Are you looking to add to your collection of toys ?? at this point I am willing to take a loss on parts, so it would be a good deal for someone... :D
He's got enough toys, tell me what you have left to sell :)

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
tankd0g said:
He's got enough toys, tell me what you have left to sell :)
I have all the turbo stuff needed to bolt on, and then a fuel management system, same type that AVO used... 8) only a few things left to complete and I can tell you what would be needed... If anyone is interested, send me an IM if interested, I don't want to clutter up this thread...

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What thread? That seems to be the most excitement this thread is having. :roll:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts