Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time to change my Nology Spark Plugs. They sometimes misfire, when I step on the gas, a slight pop, and then the engine comes to life and starts to pull. It might be something else. But it has been more then two years already. I also installed the MSD which gives it a hotter spark on old spark plugs. Any ideas guys?

·
Registered
302 Posts
NGK IRIDIUM SPARK PLUGS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When it comes to spark plugs, NGK is the World Leader. Makers of spark plugs, sparkplug wires and oxygen sensors for virtually every automotive, motorcycle, marine, industrial and small engine application, NGK dominates the world market. NGK is famous for the “V-Groove” sparkplug, the Iridium IX sparkplug and platinum plugs. NGK sparkplugs, wire sets and sensors are used for racing, high performance, sport compacts and light trucks. NGK Iridium plugs are exceptional for use in nitrous fueled, fuel injection and turbo charged engines. NGK is also the original equipment for the majority of the world's auto manufacturers. A substantial number of NGK Spark Plugs and oxygen sensors sold in the United States are made right here in America.

Enhanced ignition efficiency
Better acceleration
Faster starting and smoother running
Longer lift
Better fuel consumption
The Iridium tip has an extremely high melting point and great protection against chemical attack, which allows the use of the very small centre electrode. Combined with the tapered ground electrode these plugs have extremely good gas flow properties and lower voltage requirements. This is very useful with lpg, because the lpg has a high electrical resistance which normally makes extra high voltage demands. The Iridium plughelps to offset this.

you can buy them here::::

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NGK-IRIDUIM-IX-MR-2-RAV-4-SPARK-PLUGS-SET_W0QQitemZ8014550034QQcategoryZ33693QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

HOPE THIS HELPS!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
And also, correct me if im wrong, but im pretty sure that toyota uses special NGK plugs as the O.E. equipment, which is a bonus on their reliabilty rating.

Now im not completely sure, but the last time i was over at the parts department at the local dealership, the little poster on the wall said "Use only Toyota O.E. spark plugs for the greatest performance" and down in the corner im pretty sure there was an NGK logo, and i think it said "Toyota sparkplugs were designed in conjuntion with NGK, a world leader in spark plug technology, to ensure you get the higest quailty product for your toyota"

·
Registered
273 Posts
I hate to be negative, but sparkplugs can either be bad or good enough. There is nothing you get to improve the motor.

Check out grassroots motorsports website for all the little things that you can do to an autocross car that works.

Iridiums are a great plug, but they won't give you any extra power. However, if your old plugs were worn and out of spec, anything you put in there will seem like and improvement.

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Drifter said:
And also, correct me if im wrong, but im pretty sure that toyota uses special NGK plugs as the O.E. equipment, which is a bonus on their reliabilty rating.

Now im not completely sure, but the last time i was over at the parts department at the local dealership, the little poster on the wall said "Use only Toyota O.E. spark plugs for the greatest performance" and down in the corner im pretty sure there was an NGK logo, and i think it said "Toyota sparkplugs were designed in conjuntion with NGK, a world leader in spark plug technology, to ensure you get the higest quailty product for your toyota"
Yep, they use Laser Platinum BKR6EKPB-11; Stock number 3452 for the 1997 RAV4 2.0 L4 3SFE FI DOHC

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Brother said:
I hate to be negative, but sparkplugs can either be bad or good enough. There is nothing you get to improve the motor.

Check out grassroots motorsports website for all the little things that you can do to an autocross car that works.

Iridiums are a great plug, but they won't give you any extra power. However, if your old plugs were worn and out of spec, anything you put in there will seem like and improvement.
I already did. BTW, did you see my RAV4 posted there. :wink: I have been checking out this web site since I subscribed about five months ago. You can pickup a lot of great tips from them. :wink:

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Brother said:
I'd have to see a dyno run to be convinced of the efficacy of "premium" plugs. If you install the msd you can really open up the gap quite a bit.
Brother, I just came from Advance Auto Parts and already got a box of NGK's

I also have the MSD 6A, MSD SS Coil blaster, MSD Tach Adapter, Pivot RAZMIN Voltage Stabalizer, Pivot Ground Kit installed. The Gap for these Spark Plugs are .044. Any suggestions? :wink:

T

·
0 Posts
NGK states you can use less of an ignition spark in a stock system with the iridiums. As long as you get the same temp rated plugs, getting premium plugs can only increase efficiency. (^mileage). If your previous plugs were fouled, then you'll likely see better performance too. Anyway, about the gap, what is the output of the MSD? I would just open the gap up in small increments and judge for yourself what works best.

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just finished installing the NGK plugs, even my fingers are still dirty, anyway. To my surprise, all four of the Nology Plugs were black. But I also found the negative terminal of the battery loss. I mean less then a finger pull was enough to take it off the battery stud. Once I installed the NGK, I waited for the engine to reach its working temperature. I then hammers the throttle about five times to about 5,500 RPM. It clean the system out. [Yes, I also check the oil before I did this :shock: ] Then I took her for a spin. Sure enough, the engine was back with its usual power and sound. Tomorrow morning, a wash, shine, and a Sunday drive to Old San Juan with my family. Another happy engine in my RAV4 life. :wink:

T

·
0 Posts
How old are the Nology plugs? You might want to figure out why the plugs were black (were they covered in carbon or just colored black?) or you might end up with shortened life of the NGKs too.

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I guess it was when I quickly, without warming up the engine. I move my ride from point A to point B. I wanted to keep the engine as cold as possible. I didn't want to burn myself changing the plugs. It bog down twice. But I quickly fired it up again and pumping the throttle, proceed to park it under a shady area in front of my house. No big deal. The Nology plugs were about three years old, I think even more. I recently installed the MSD kit. That was about six month ago. So I guess I should of installed the plugs then. Anyway, it is working well. Today, I check them again, just in case.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts