Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, done heaps of research on converting a 4.1 rav to a 3s-gte engine but I want to clarify a few things before I start purchasing.

First up I live in Australia, so the caldina was never here. So im wondering is the gen 3 a better option for me? Is it only slightly less power than the gen 4? Or is it worth going the extra mile and finding a gen 4? Has anyone done it here and had an issue with rego?

From my understanding I can use my current gearbox (Good, I like the very low first gear for offroad). But obviously the clutch will not be able to handle the power, so just use the clutch out of (MR2?), as all the bolt patterns are the same for a large portion of these Toyotas.
The ECU/Loom will have to be out of the new engine.

Will it matter if the engine comes out of an automatic/2WD car? (Not 100% sure what australia has to offer). I want to retain manual transmission and 4wd.

I think that's all the questions for now. Cheers in advanced!

·
Registered
16 Posts
^what he said. Personally I like the caldina motor more than the 3rd gen in stock form. 3rd gen will make more power stock but the caldina spools better. No distributor, OBD2, all good things. And yeah A/T ecu is no problem. I use them all the time.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I can't help much but in NZ we got the rav4 type g with the 3sge engine... And several parts are the same. If you get a 3S-GE Gen 4 BEAMS/Red Top VVTi (you can find on a celica gt4) can reach 200hp. The one from a rav4 i dont think is so powerfull but the swap might not be too hard.

I am very new in engines and mods and stuff like that but I was looking for a celica and those are the informations I got.
I wish I knew about these engines before I got mine.

Toyota RAV4 Special edition 1998 | Trade Me
Toyota RAV4 5-SPEED SAME OWNER 12-YEARS 1999 | Trade Me

1 - 5 of 5 Posts