Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day,

Just finished my 1998 rav4 3sgte engine swap. Happy days but theres a slight problem though.
Im using an auto ECU and my rav is manual, and i have a feeling that the ECU 'thinks' its in park which is limiting power, because at the moment it doesn't feel too different to the old 3sfe lol. It hits redline very early (4-5k) and you can feel under acceleration the car being limited.Hope someone can guide me!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I used a manual ECU, so I didn't have your problems. However, in reading teh Intr4w3bz, y0, I did run across some references to that. I think you are right in that your ECU thinks it is in park. What generation motor is it? And what generation ECU? I think the answer will be to simulate the transmission being in, say, 3rd gear. Probably shorting two pins on the ECU, but what two pins? Depends on the ECU.

·
Registered
84 Posts
For example, what I'm seeing on a 4th gen motor/ecu (that's what I have the majority of my documentation on), pin A('f') 7 needs to go high, or to +12V and then the ECU will think it is in Drive. I think I would try a few hundred ohm resistor there, just to be on the safe side. It appears to be looking for +9 to +14V. Note that is ST215 only, and based on the documentation I have found.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers for all replies guys!

Il try wiring the A-7 to 12V and see how it goes. Thanks for the suggestions guys

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks!

For example, what I'm seeing on a 4th gen motor/ecu (that's what I have the majority of my documentation on), pin A('f') 7 needs to go high, or to +12V and then the ECU will think it is in Drive. I think I would try a few hundred ohm resistor there, just to be on the safe side. It appears to be looking for +9 to +14V. Note that is ST215 only, and based on the documentation I have found.
So pin A-7 is the SL1+ pin. Does the SL2+ pin or SLT need 12V or just the SL1+? Cheers man!

·
Registered
84 Posts
This is somewhat uncharted territory, but from the schematics I have, I think just the A7 pin.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You might also be in "limp home mode." Have you checked for codes?

Ahh just checked for codes and got 12, which I believe is the cam sensor! Hopefully it's just something stupid like I've left a ground off or it's not connected properly. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts