Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.
I’m hoping to do some modifications. I’m hoping to get the best bang for my buck, so I’m trying to decide whether I should do a 3SGTE swap, supercharge the stock 2AZ or turbocharge the stock 2AZ. What does everyone think?

·
Registered
356 Posts
All your options are possible. I've seen a few 3S-GTE swapped RAV4.2. Both superchargers and turbo kits are availlable for the 2AZ (Scion TC). Personnally, I may try to fit a supercharger (SC14) from a Previa S/C on my 2AZ.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I thought the SC route would be easiest. I gathered a list of part numbers and instructions myself before I purchased my 4.2 in anticipation of doing this specific project. As it turns out I'm content with the 2AZ performance and fuel economy is already marginal so I'm just going to standby on the SC project for now.

Attached is the parts list from TRD, I found everything BUT the centrifugal still available for sale by Toyota. LC Engineering still uses the blower for other applications. Reflashing the ECU seemed the most difficult, Toyota wouldn't do it without some backdoor negotiation. A piggyback programmer looks like the alternate method.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought the SC route would be easiest. I gathered a list of part numbers and instructions myself before I purchased my 4.2 in anticipation of doing this specific project. As it turns out I'm content with the 2AZ performance and fuel economy is already marginal so I'm just going to standby on the SC project for now.

Attached is the parts list from TRD, I found everything BUT the centrifugal still available for sale by Toyota. LC Engineering still uses the blower for other applications. Reflashing the ECU seemed the most difficult, Toyota wouldn't do it without some backdoor negotiation. A piggyback programmer looks like the alternate method.
How much would this all cost you? I have a blitz supercharger that I would be able to purchase for $1200, and that comes with a full ECU.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I priced things out individually at just over $3,200 not including an ECU reflash or piggyback unit. But a lot of this are new parts from Toyota. Commando seems really sharp on cross compatibility of parts and probably knows where to get things on the cheap.

Also, the TRD unit was never meant for the RAV, so there's a little backyard garage work involved but I understand it's not difficult.

·
Registered
57 Posts
the 2GR-FE should also be considered, torque monster v6 in a tiny car like the rav4 would move, and probably pretty easy to get swapped in. buy a wrecked 4.3 lol

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the 2GR-FE should also be considered, torque monster v6 in a tiny car like the rav4 would move, and probably pretty easy to get swapped in. buy a wrecked 4.3 lol
Do you think it would make more power stock the the 2AZ supercharger?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Do you think it would make more power stock the the 2AZ supercharger?
For sure! The 2GR is almost 270 hp and the powerband is impressive... I have one in my wife's Sienna. Many MR2 guys removed their 3S-GTE and swapped a 2GR-FE. But I don't know if this V6 was ever swapped in a RAV4.1 or RAV4.2.

To use it in a 4WD RAV4, you would need to source the V6 from an AWD also. The Camry/Solara (or 2WD Sienna) don't have the same block... so the transfer-case would not clear.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For sure! The 2GR is almost 270 hp and the powerband is impressive... I have one in my wife's Sienna. Many MR2 guys removed their 3S-GTE and swapped a 2GR-FE. But I don't know if this V6 was ever swapped in a RAV4.1 or RAV4.2.
Lol, well I guess I’ll go with that then 😂 I’m literally just trying to build a WRX killer, so that’ll probably be a good start

·
Registered
99 Posts
Just buy a RAV4.3 AWD with the V6 to begin with. Then you’d have a manageable suspension project on your hands instead of an engine swap. I just think the 4-cylinder RAVs (any generation) aren’t good donors for sport builds.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts