Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

3SGTE Swap Trans Advice

1250 Views 1 Reply 2 Participants Last post by  JulienPier
Hi guys, been around the forums for a while now and finally decided to make an acount to seek out some advice.

I recently purchased my second rav, a '98 2 door 5 speed manual in alright condition. I have plans to do a 4th gen 3SGTE swap into it and was just seeking some advice to help with planning. In terms of the transmission, I've heard it's wise to swap in a Caldina trans (from the same donor car as the engine) but also I've seen the issues that arrise when it comes to the VSS and speedometer. Would it be best to just use the stock Rav trans to avoid any issues with the speedo? Or is there any work arounds that allow for the speedo to work with a Caldina trans? Any advice/comments are greatly appreciated (y)
Cheers
See less See more
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
I am not an expert on that matter. There are people on this forum that are MUCH more knowledgeable than me.

But from what I have read, the transmission in our Rav4s are taken from a Celica and are meant to handle 250hp comfortably.

If it's in good health, I'd say keep the tranny.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.