Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

3sgte transmission and wiring questions

248 Views 5 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  bornloser_182
Hello All,

I know this has been covered a lot and i have spent the last few days searching the forums but couldn't find a clear answer. Hoping someone with first hand knowledge could chime in.

I just picked up a 98 rav4 convertible 5-speed FWD. I am prepping to swap a 3sgte within the next 2 months here are my questions.

1. Why do most people go with a Gen4 3sgte? Im not against using a gen4 the only reason I ask is because I am located in Hawaii and some one is selling a 1993 3sgte (gen2) engine locally and that would save me about $500 in shipping.

2. Does anyone know where to find a wiring guide for this conversion? It seems like everyone just uses wiregapinc.com to have the harness converted.

Thanks in advance.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
541 Posts
The Gen4/5 are the most readily available, have the highest HP, have the newest tech in them. There is nothing wrong with a Gen2, just keep in mind it will have about 50hp less than a Gen4/5 (If it's a US speck Gen2, which it should be if it's a Hawaii based one).

A Gen2 has 200-205 HP, a Gen4/5 has 256 HP.

Also keep in mind that a Gen2 will have a twin entry CT26, a Gen4/5 will have a CT15B turbo. A Gen1 and Gen2 manifold are the same, Gen3 is different, and Gen4/5 is different.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see. Thank you very much. I have also read that the Gen4 transmission has a VSS issue that is not compatible with the 98 rav4 is there a way to convert that so if I go with a Gen4 I will have a speedo?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts