Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the next year or so, I plan on purchasing something new to add/replace my 1999 RAV4 with, as a daily driver so that I can restore it. I'd really like a new RAV, especially with the SE model coming out soon. For those who are familiar with the first gen, how are you guys like the current generation RAVs?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Oh boy. The only thing they have in common is the name. Never owned a Gen 1 but spent some time around one.

·
Registered
137 Posts
We have a 4.2 as well as 4.4, both Limited, and love both for different reasons. In short, the 4.2 has more of a sporty ride and feel, while the 4.4 seems to be more refined all around. Different cars. If I had to pick one that I prefer, it would be the 4.4 (more luxurious and refined), though the 4.1 keeps chugging along with 170,000, without having any problems.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I've had the 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, and 4.4.....and love them all in varying degrees.....
They have all been reliable with routine maintenance
I would have to say the 4.2 and 4.4 are our favs. Part of the problem is Toyota keeps changing features on them....
The 4.2 with the easily removable second row seats was great for cargo times, and the seats slid fore and aft as required......
The 4.3 added third row seating and a false floor in back which took away rear space.....whether you had the seating or not....
The 4.4 put the spare inside which if the trucklet is loaded would be a PITA if you needed it.....unless you get run flat tires...
The RAV started off as a utility vehicle (SUV), now it's a "crossover"......don't expect a lot of utility out of the new ones.....although I can still haul a stove or washer to the cabin in it....
Guess this turned into more of a rant....but we love 'em and nothing else seems to fit our needs as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i had a 96 before it got totaled but loved it. that rav went everywhere. had 170000 miles plus and kept running but always took it in for whatever maintenance it needed. it was fairly minimal. the 96 was underpowered for sure. living in colorado and trying to go to the mtns was a joke. had it to the floor and did a whole 45mph. it was bad but in town it got me where i needed to go. loved how it steered though. ...i bought a 2015 in january and am happy with it. it will cruise up the mtns with no problem. the wife likes this one.96 , not so much cause of the lack of power. so the power is sufficient for sure. steers like the old one, glad it does. very agile. storage seems about the same but don't always need it. it rides firm especially if tires are at max but i have no problem with that.stereo is much better then the old one, in fact i love it.mpg are close to the same as my old one getting 24 1/2 mpg. am ok with that also but was hoping for better and was using the ac all the time.seating seems to be similar. I'm 6'4'' and sit with no problem.i would buy again for sure and wife is happy with it. test drove a camry and it was terrible for sitting in. a joke , they missed it with that car.sat in the camry and left to buy my rav4. first dealer was real crappy and had to buy elsewhere and was ok with that at a better price. bought the base model rav4. i would buy again, heater works great.fast and hot. pick-up at first is slow then gets better after some speed. they need to work on that.yep, slow,too slow.hope this all helps...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts