Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Rav has developed one of the various interior squeaks and rattles that occur with 4.2's. It's a high pitched chirping or squeaking noise that seems to be coming from inside the dash, possibly toward the middle (at first I thought it was my radar detector bracket or something), every time I hit a bump.

So...any guesses on which noise this is? :?: I've perused the TSBs and there are so many interior noise related ones for 4.2 it's hard to tell. I'm leaning toward the one listed under 2001-2002 for the defroster duct, but I may be all wrong. It's definitely a chirp or squeak, not a rattle. Before I let my dealer go randomly digging around in there, I'd like to at least be able to take a TSB along so I can tell them what I think it may be. Any suggestions?

Becky

·
Registered
252 Posts
A hesitant and a good dealer

If it is a squeaking like sound when you hit a bump then it would be cowling cover rubbing against the windscreen. Have had this squeak after having mine for about a year. Took it to a dealer and they denied that there was a problem then took it to another dealer, just mentioned to them about a squeaking car, they just owned up that there is a problem and installed a kit for it.

Take it to a dealer, they should know what you are talking about.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I have had a few squeaks and rattles in my Rav, but they seem to come and go with the changing of the seasons.....

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys!

Do you know if there's a TSB for the cowling cover squeak? I like to show up at the dealer's prepared whenever possible. :)

When the squeak first started happening I was hoping it was going to be seasonal as Jeff mentioned, but unfortunately now it has spanned three seasons. In Spring when I got it, no squeak. Started some time during the Summer, still going now in Winter. :(

Becky

A

·
0 Posts
I have had my 2003 RAV 4 L back three times to the dealership for the same problem. They followed all the TSB's available, added the cowl kit and it stopped for around two weeks. It returned right when the cold weather hit and has got progressively worse. This fall, I am going to trade it in for a new 2006 RAV 4 L . I will make sure I drive it on a cold day to make sure the new 2006 rattle problem has been corrected. Otherwise, I am going to buy Highlander which I do not want to have to do.

:?:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Squeeks/rattles

My '01 squeeks and rattles so much when cold, that I make my daughter drive it and I drive the new '05 Matrix XR!

·
Registered
986 Posts
My 01 Rav is the opposite- the squeaks and rattles mostly go away during the winter and resurface when summer comes around.

D

·
0 Posts
The infamous rattle. I had the dealer "fix" this rattle 5 times with no permanent fix. The fourth time, they even replaced the entire dash because they damaged it on fix #3. I saw a fix on a website but have lost this info. I will look again this spring when I will fix the problem my self. The fix involved taking apart the cowl and parts underneath. This fix works from the outside and looks promosing. The dealer fix works from the inside of the car and obviously does not work.

H

·
0 Posts
Dear TobyIIDog,

Could you give more details on how your RAV4 is doing after they installed the kit to hopefully eliminate the dash/cowel squeak?

Do you know what TSB or specifically what kit they used and was it successful?

The dealer has valiantly attempted to correct the same problem in my 2004 RAV4 but it never lasts longer than 2 weeks.

The squeak seems to be directly in front of me while driving. It sounds almost like a chirp or loud cricket noise and generally happens over large bumps in the road.

I've heard solutions ranging from special 3M tape cushioning the cowel clips themselves by wrapping the base of the windshield in foam tape?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated?

:?:

A

·
0 Posts
Rattle in Spring & Summer

My rattle disappears as soon as it gets warm outside. All winter the rattle was very pronounced. Now, it doesn't rattle at all so it is definitely cold related. In my case, the cowl/rattle kit did not work as far as winter driving.

S

·
0 Posts
I think it doesn't squeak as loudly in the warmer temperatures because the rubber on the cowl probably heats up and becomes softer. Mine squeaks really bad in the cold, but much less in warmer temperatures. Maybe they need to just change the material they are using were it touches the windshield. The squeak on my Rav goes entirely away when it rains . The rain must lubricate the rubber gasket slightly.

S

·
0 Posts
Usually in the back when driving on a dirt road, but lately some buzzing in what seems to be coming from the roof panel especially on braking when coming to a stop. My interior has more rattles and squeaks when it's cold out.

M

·
0 Posts
Ive been reading this thread for quite sometime. And the chirping sound inside the dash occured to my rav4. I know its not the exterior cowl thats making this sound. Coz whenever theres a sound like that appears i push the edges of my gauge cowl on the dash and the sound disappears. So i assume that the problem is inside the dashboard.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Try this (1) http://rav4world.com/tsb/NV004-01.pdf
or this (2) http://rav4world.com/tsb/NV005-01.pdf
or this (3) http://members.tripod.com/ri_rav4/cowl_fix.htm

This is all courtesy of Kelly's TSB page http://rav4world.com/tsb/tsb.html Check it out out! Great job, Kelly! :thumbs_up:

One way to make sure whether or not it is the cowl, is to remove the cowl and drive it without it over bumps and see if it still makes the noise.

After my dealer failed to fix it twice, I decided to go (DIY) with Fix No. (3). Still get an occasional chirp, usually when the weather cools down (as others have attested).... But nowhere as annoying as before.

Cheer(p)s !! :cheers:

Philo

1 - 15 of 15 Posts