Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning!

A few weeks ago, I upgraded the head unit in my 2005 S to the Scion T-1804 (a GREAT upgrade). Now, I believe I'm ready to upgrade the speakers, but I'm presented with questions.

I'm not looking to go nuts with huge 6x9's or "24 inch" woofers here. I'm looking to simply replace the OEM 6.5's with some Infinity or Boston Acoustic 6.5's. When looking for speakers at both Best Buy and Circuit City, I'm told by the salesman AND the installer that "I'd basically have to rewire the whole car including new amplifiers". I find that ludicrous, but... I'm not an installer, nor expert, so I thought I'd ask...

1) Is replacing the OEM 6.5's as simple as pulling the panels and inserting the speakers? I know others have upgraded their OEM speakers, I just don't know what they went through to do it. (please see note below)

2) On a 4.2 with the stock (presumably 6 speakers) system (not the JBL system), where are the 6 speakers? I see spots for speakers in all 4 doors, the door pillar, and the rear behind the seats, but I'm not really sure which of those spots actually contain speakers at the moment.

3) Can I go with an Infinity component set, with the 6.5's for the front doors and the new tweeters for the door pillar, or will that require the aforementioned rewiring and amps?

Thanks very much for your assistance.

Wayne

Note : Please DO NOT just send me to the link for "how to install the speakers" in the FAQ that I've seen several times. While helpful, it doesn't actually answer the questions I'm asking...

X

·
0 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
XT4 Tinted said:
Hi Wayne
Do a search on speaker upgrade it`s all been done before.
Good Luck :)
Thanks for replying. Unfortunately however, I still need some help with the questions I asked above.

:bump:

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Wayne, did you ever get answers to your questions? Someday I might do some upgrades to my oem radio and enjoy reading about what everyone is doing. Have you made any improvements yet?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RAV4Don said:
Wayne, did you ever get answers to your questions? Someday I might do some upgrades to my oem radio and enjoy reading about what everyone is doing. Have you made any improvements yet?
Hi Don,

Sadly, I have not. I have searched extensively, and I find "near answers", but no direct answers as of yet. There is always hope.

One thing I have noted around this particular forum, and the ONLY thing that bothers me is a propensity to point people to FAQ's or to simply say "search" (not just this thread) rather than trying to answer the questions people have. RAV4world.com is getting so large now that finding things in a search is rarely easy and FAQ's rarely answer specific questions.

Maybe I'm just weird and I'm viewing my questions too specifically, dunno, but if you ever find anything, please share it here?

Wayne

·
Registered
93 Posts
hey don,

upgrade to 6.5's on four doors doesnt means rewiring the whole car, those guys are just trying to make u part with your money more than u need to. yes an amplifier would definitely improve the sound and even that requires that you match rms power from head unit to speakers or amp if u consider putting one.

got mine from crutchifield for the front and hooked it to head unit for now as the amp i used was to power the sub just for some needed bass. great improvement on highs and clarity, and got the adapters needed in order for the window not to hit the magnets for free. sound deadening the door while your at it helps a lot too.

Definitely any after market speakers with a good known brand would improve the oe paper cone speaker that came with the rav

X

·
0 Posts
Wayne. I have done the 4 x speaker upgrade. I got all the help from this very forum by searching, even though the British version of the Rav is slightly different the info is hear.
In England you can not buy the spacer adaptors required (window hitting the speaker magnets) but you can cut out the old speakers from the existing plastic mount & a 6.5" speaker will fit right in. You can use the existing wire loom, I cut off the plastic conectors & joined the speakers using a male/female crimp conector. I then sound deadened all 5 doors which realy improves the quality of the sound & I`m still using the original H/Unit.
I have been told that a better H/Unit will improve the sound further & I`m toying with an MP3/WMA USB type. I would have to buy an adaptor plate but this will allow any H/Unit to fit. This alone is up to a mini amplifier as you can expect 4 x 45W
Your question on a 6 speaker system? Here in England we only get the 4 door speakers but you can add the door pillar tweeters as all the wiring is in place, you can actually buy the kit here as well for about £100.00
I don`t need the tweeters because they are built into my Infinity Kappa`s
I don`t need a sub because the sound deadening has made the doors act like 4 x speaker enclouser & there is no distortion or vibration. It realy is impressive for a bit of DIY.
All thanks to this forum :)

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
XT4 Tinted, great pics, thanks. How hard was it to remove the oem speaker from the housing/adapter? What tools were needed? Say how did you secure the new speakers to the oem adapter? I am unsure from looking at the pic. It appears that you bolted the adpater back in place. Is that correct?

The reason I am asking so many detailed questions is that I am 730 miles from my home on a temporary work assignment for the next few months and I am wondering if I have have what is needed to do the job here, or if I should forget it until I get home. :lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts